SAU Community

M35 Works Bell Paddle Shift

spoolin12

Hey everyone.

I ordered the Works Bell column shifter kit last week and thought I would post up my thoughts and the install procedure.

I was going to wait for my brother to give me a hand, but after looking at the kit and instructions, it looked really simple.

First step was to remove the center console and find a white plug that controls all the shifting. All you do is plug in the supplied plug:

IMG_0374.jpg

From there, I run the cables to the under side of the steering wheel. I removed the cover under the wheel:

IMG_0378.jpg

There are some small ribs that need to be removed so that the 'back plait' fits correctly.

IMG_0379.jpg

I used the V35 template that is included and drill the 6.0mm holes:

IMG_0380.jpg

Once that's all done, I bolt on the paddles, hook up the wires (You also have to run power to the kit - I just ran off the cigarette lighter and ground the black wire to the chassis) then its just a matter of putting it all back together.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

The kit is nice quality and feels solid - the raw carbon looks sexy too.

The paddles are fully adjustable. You can change the angle, height and amount the paddles protrude. I set mine up as high as possible, but with enough space so my high-beam and window squirter thingo still work.

First thing I noticed was how much damn petrol I am using.... could have something to do with keeping it in 2nd all the time and enjoying the corners a little too much.... :P

Shifting feels good - only a small movement - feels similar to a M3/Golf GTI.... without the nice quick shift and down blip.

I paid $422.00 shipped to my front door. Expensive... but if I had the choice again, I would get it again in a heartbeat. I have always driven manual cars and changing to auto in the Stagea was one of my biggest concerns.. but this makes me much happier. :ninja:

I will post up some clearer non-iPhone pics tomorrow.

Chris.

Edited by spoolin12

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i don't think $422 is expensive for a mod like that, cheap i reckon! Change the feel of the car completely!

I reckon alot of people will be following you!

excellent......great work......damn it if I hadn't spent so much money today(post coming tomorrow if it works) I would be ordering it.

:ninja:

this one's moving up the list.

P.S. Watch keeping it in manual gears to long....the trans will overheat.

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your photos and text !

It's always great to see people taking the time to share their experience of installing our products on their cars.

It helps others see what is involved in install and could also be very useful for other people to refer to when installing the Works Bell paddle shifter system on their own cars.

took it for a drive today and it feels sweet! super solid and sexy raw carbon finish!

Great work and glad to hear you are so happy with the Works Bell paddle shifter system !

- The Tuners Group

Edited by TheTunersGroup

very VERY nice kit!!

im assuming the paddles dont move with the wheel as they look attached to the column surround. am i correct??

Yep, it mounts directly to the column. They do offer another kit that moves with the wheel, but you have to change to a non-airbag wheel.

I have attached a couple of better shots below:

_BI_8701.jpg

_BI_8708.jpg

Chris.

Looks great.... Let us know how you go with gearbox temps.

I know when I use my car in manual mode the gearbox gets a bit too warm (and that is with an additional Trans cooler) and starts to not select 2nd when I shift down. Also tends to not engage 2nd until on the throttle.

Have you reversed the gear box selection direction?

Cheers

Andy

would these work on a S2 instead of the buttons on the wheels?

If they are for the V35 Skyline I highly doubt compatibility.

That is not to say you can't get a kit that would work with the S2, just not this particular one.

Great job btw!

Just a few questions though..i have a r34 with button shift on the steering wheel;

Will this kit fit first of all & will it improve the lag between going through the gears i currently experience?

Thanks