SAU Community

Subaru Impreza 22b Wrx At Pickles?

I agree with IM. There was a GTHO Phase III that went through Shannons and it only fetched $331,000. Seller was expecting much more as an identical car sold for almost double that last year. There were also talks of other cars that sold for over a mil through private treaty a few years ago.

I'd certainly be pissed if your collectable would only fetch a fraction of what other cars have been selling for in the past..

True,

So for example if Iron Chef were to sell his R34 GTR N1, what would price would he expect?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie (and American) muscle cars was (and probably still is) a massive bubble!

Some people really don't understand the concept of 'value'. Oh well, I bought and sold a few (nearly 10) muscle cars during that period. :laugh:

True,

So for example if Iron Chef were to sell his R34 GTR N1, what would price would he expect?

lol well I know what I'll be asking, and I won't just be advertising it in Australia :laugh:

I'm giving it some thought at the moment, to be honest. The best time to sell is when you don't actually NEED to sell :P

the muscle car bubble has already burst. In 2007/2008 was the peak and now it is up shit creek in Australia compared to what it was and a lot of people have lost faith in ALL collectables because of it, not just the muscle car scene has been affected. That 22b has been floating around for a long time already, looks like the auctions was a last resort that failed. That car in this country with the info it has at the price the seller is expecting is a fail, and your going to tell me that this auction wasn't the best place for that car? That is one of the only auctions to sell that type of car, it draws people from all around Australia and all around the world and it is a much better place than the shannons auction is. Shannons wastes their time on 90% crap, the last shannons auction had shitty cars worth nothing and 1950's -1970's petrol bowsers. A modern import collectable car with no history was always going to fail, it's different if it was a 50 year old collectable with no history but the fact is it's a modern car that should have records.

I'd give up my left nutt if a person in the know pays more than $75k for that example, because by the time the car gets on road it would cost close to $85k, way way way not worth that price. Then again it only takes one knob to win the lotto to pay way too much for a car...

I love it how the import guys here are trying to defend an import car, in the future that car will be worth better money, but for now it is an import that hasn't been looked after, it isn't unique enough for people to ignore the fact it hasn't been looked after. And it seems the people that are looking to buy the car (the people that count) agree with me. If they didn't the car would have sold on monday night right?

Besides your N1 will always be more sought after (price wise) than that 22b even though there were alittle more of them made, the GTR hasd a bigger following a better name and much more of a history than the 22b. I'd pay extra for the N1

Just to clarify:

22Bs made - 400

V Spec N1s made - 45 (33 road cars)

V Spec 2 N1s made - 18

:laugh:

Prices are always about supply and demand, and I think you'll find that there have been a number of ex-pats who've jumped on the 22B bandwagon hoping to make big profits. There have been a few going through auctions, it's not all the same car (one belongs to a customer of mine who brought his in from the UK).

The problem is that the people who understand how rare 22Bs are aren't the ones with the coin to pay good money for them, and conversely the people with $100K to spend aren't going to drop that much on what they probably see as a pumped up WRX, regardless of what you tell them, especially one with a questionable history. People that attend auctions are generally dealers or private heads looking for a bargain, not Subaru fanatics, so it doesn't surprise me in the least that it didn't make much, but also bear in mind that it didn't sell.

If I had a $500,000 house and it passed in at $400,000, it doesn't mean that's what it's worth.

This car smacks of someone trying to make a quick profit, but having said this, if the owner is in a position to keep it rather than sell it, he/she may have decided it's better to hold on to it and let it appreciate in value rather than sell it cheap.

lol well I know what I'll be asking, and I won't just be advertising it in Australia :)

I'm giving it some thought at the moment, to be honest. The best time to sell is when you don't actually NEED to sell :P

:laugh:

If I had your N1, I would keep it, never sell it.

:)

If I had your N1, I would keep it, never sell it.

and make love to it every night with Mr bannana man :laugh: and i wouldn't care what anybody else thinks because i'll be the one with the n1

and make love to it every night with Mr bannana man :laugh: and i wouldn't care what anybody else thinks because i'll be the one with the n1

:)

Maybe I'll hold on to it just for Skyline Nationals - I want to do a lap of Mallala with the exhaust off so I (and everyone else) can hear some R1 goodness hehe

Sounds like a plan.

R1 Goodness ehy... Nismo R-Tune R1?

I love it how the import guys here are trying to defend an import car, in the future that car will be worth better money, but for now it is an import that hasn't been looked after, it isn't unique enough for people to ignore the fact it hasn't been looked after. And it seems the people that are looking to buy the car (the people that count) agree with me. If they didn't the car would have sold on monday night right?

I can't argue that a poor example is going to fetch top dollar, it sure won't. Not now anyway, but down the track - who knows. There are muppets with money who will pay through the nose for stuff. (none of them seem to visit me though! :laugh: )The argument was that in time no one is going to give a rat's arse where the car was delivered as it will be the car's condition and rarity that dictates it's value. Not whether it was delivered in one country or another. I still maintain that view, if I could I'd get one from Japan, NZ, UK - where ever and I wouldn;t be bothered at all provided it was the right car.

I said from the outset that the right car is worth good money and if maintained, will continue to increase in value over time. I don't know what the condition of this one is like, but if it's not up to scratch and the seller is expecting too much for what it is, well then that's not uncommon. Hop in the for sale section and see how many cars or sets of wheels start with "optimistic" prices and then fall from there. Saying that because one passed in for under $60k means they're all worth that just doesn't make sense. Because you don't place the value on that car doesn't mean everyone sees them that way.

I'd love an XB GT Coupe, but hell will freeze over before I part with $100k for one

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/140162

That doesn't mean it's not worth the asking price to the right person though?

And this is a car with extremely limited market appeal - ie the Australian market. Can't see people outside of Australia lining up to buy classic Aussie cars, yet the money they're fetching is still mind boggling.

I could have had a mint XB GT Coupe (was an ugly colour - it had 'brown outs' LOL) for $9k back when I was flipping XYs (few years ago now). It was basically fully optioned too.

$100k is madness.

"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" - John Maynard Keynes

Never underestimate the longevity of idiocy when it comes to something consider an 'investment'. LOL!