SAU Community

Brake Upgrade For R32 Gtst

luvboost

I had the same issue. Finally sussed it all out and went to bolt on one wheel.. not enough clearance inside my 17's for 324mm + r32 gtr sumi's + dogbones.. :(

Wow srs? my 324mm rotors with 33gtst calipers just fit inside 17" 34GTT rims.. they actually fit better than when running the 296mm rotors as with the smaller rotors I had to run a 3mm spacer to stop the rims binding up on the calipers. Pushing the caliper further out to suit the bigger rotor moved the caliper away from the bits of the rim that were clashing and didn't need the spacer anymore.

What did you do to solve the issue with the 4wd hub?

I've got some CAZ adapter brackets (different style to the ones on my 32, spaces straight out instead of changing the angle like the 32 ones) at home I need to try but they are for 12mm bolts and my wagon hubs are 14mm :blush:

Hey Bart, would there be any detrimental effects to rotating the caliper down 15 degrees? I haven't notived any increase in dive at all.

Edited by bubba

Wow srs? my 324mm rotors with 33gtst calipers just fit inside 17" 34GTT rims.. they actually fit better than when running the 296mm rotors as with the smaller rotors I had to run a 3mm spacer to stop the rims binding up on the calipers. Pushing the caliper further out to suit the bigger rotor moved the caliper away from the bits of the rim that were clashing and didn't need the spacer anymore.

What did you do to solve the issue with the 4wd hub?

I've got some CAZ adapter brackets (different style to the ones on my 32, spaces straight out instead of changing the angle like the 32 ones) at home I need to try but they are for 12mm bolts and my wagon hubs are 14mm :(

Hey Bart, would there be any detrimental effects to rotating the caliper down 15 degrees? I haven't notived any increase in dive at all.

Rim clearance comes down to design . 17" P1s cleared 355mm 6 piston billet PMU kit , 18" work emotions would not clear my 345mm 4 piston PMU kit :blush:

Rim clearance comes down to design . 17" P1s cleared 355mm 6 piston billet PMU kit , 18" work emotions would not clear my 345mm 4 piston PMU kit :thumbsup:

Yeah I know this, it was the little in-betweeny-bits between the main spokes of the 34GTT rims that were rubbing (as they dip back in a bit). Got plenty of room with the 18's now!

Anyway, answer my question about rotating the caliper down 15 degrees please >_<

Edited by bubba

Yeah I know this, it was the little in-betweeny-bits between the main spokes of the 34GTT rims that were rubbing (as they dip back in a bit). Got plenty of room with the 18's now!

Anyway, answer my question about rotating the caliper down 15 degrees please :thumbsup:

Done the same conversion on 32 sedan , only noticable difference was it stopped great >_<

Comes down to having crappy heavy knockoff rims.. The inner diameter of the rim is what interferes with the top of the caliper, the spokes clear fine.

The brackets I have rotate the calliper as well. Clearanced them with a file, not sure wether that is worlds-best-practice.. but I made it fit. Not using them atm, the adapters and a brand new pair of 324mm rda discs are just sitting on my shelf, waiting...

*offtopic. If you are getting that replacement mid section for the hks dragger exhaust made up - without muffler - I might be interested in one as well.. :thumbsup:

Edited by heller44

Comes down to having crappy heavy knockoff rims.. The inner diameter of the rim is what interferes with the top of the caliper, the spokes clear fine.

The brackets I have rotate the calliper as well. Clearanced them with a file, not sure wether that is worlds-best-practice.. but I made it fit. Not using them atm, the adapters and a brand new pair of 324mm rda discs are just sitting on my shelf, waiting...

Rotates them down about 15 degrees yeah?

No clashes with the lower ball joint? I wonder what the difference between 32 and 33 4wd hubs is.. maybe I should just knock some 14mm adapters up and give it a bash on the Stag. I swear last time I had a go something was hitting the lower ball joint and wouldn't bolt up correctly :thumbsup:

*offtopic. If you are getting that replacement mid section for the hks dragger exhaust made up - without muffler - I might be interested in one as well.. :thumbsup:

So these 18" wheels are crappy knock offs , clearance is minimal when you can see upclose .

SDC10041.JPG

So these 18" wheels are crappy knock offs , clearance is minimal when you can see upclose .

I was talking about mine.. no-one else's.. :) so many variables, can never say for sure wether they will fit or not without trying it.

Edited by heller44

Speaking purely from personal experience - on the track (MC and drift) and from street, as well as having owned a few imports and working in mechanical shops both here and in sa

R32 GTR sumitomos are the same as 33 gtst sumitomos - exactly

R32 Gtst calipers are more than adequate for street and light track work

factory pads are ordinary

the most common problem I have seen with skyline calipers is that they are not blead properly, and often the brake fluid is not changed as often as it should be giving spongey brake feel

I would recommend that before you upgrade to 33 gtst calipers you buy some GOOD quality pads and bleed the brake system - the best way to do the bleed is to do a normal bleed first and then gravity bleed them (just crack the nipple, with a piece of clear line on them, and 99 chances out of 100, you will get small bubbles coming through) makes a massive difference to pedal feel

if you get decent pads first, you will not be out of pocket as the pads fit r32gtst and the 33 sumitomos calipers (I.e. They are the same size) - so if you decide you have to upgrade later, you will already have decent

pads to use!

For pads, project mu B-spec have great initial bite, very progressive, low dust and noise, good heat and fade resistance (rated 0-500) and work great from cold (yes, they are my favourite all rounder, from having tried many different pads)

basically, for under $500 you will have a killer setup that will pull the car up quickly, and put your passengers through the windshield if they aren't wearing their seat belt (and you want to of course :laugh: )

my 2c worth anyhow

Steve

why has nobody mentioned R34 GTT brakes? I plan on doing this conversion to my 32 in the next couple of months, only thing I am worried about is the calipers not fitting in my 17" P1's, but hopefully should be ok

why has nobody mentioned R34 GTT brakes? I plan on doing this conversion to my 32 in the next couple of months, only thing I am worried about is the calipers not fitting in my 17" P1's, but hopefully should be ok

Not alot around and when found they are pricey , plus they are not a direct bolt on . Need to bore out knuckles .

I have progressed from 33 gts-t to 33 gtr Brembos to 335mm 4 piston 4 pad Project MU kit and i can say is save up n buy big .. My first drive in the 32 at collie hillclimb was mind blowing with 6piston billet fronts n 4 piston billet 345mm rears , 250ks and jump on them and stopped before you needed too :banana:

People think they have good stuff untill they try better :D

Edited by Dsturbd

If you want some hardcore killer brakes, jpc have some mental enless calipers and rotors for around 5k from memory

wilwood also do some great setups

alot better than GTR brembos out there

oops, that's right, were talking about a street setup, sorry

R32 Gtst calipers are more than adequate for street and light track work
If you want some hardcore killer brakes, jpc have some mental enless calipers and rotors for around 5k from memory

wilwood also do some great setups

alot better than GTR brembos out there

oops, that's right, were talking about a street setup, sorry

Interesting to see how people asume good brakes are just for track cars :thumbsup:

Our combos are not " hard core killer brakes " they are on street cars that are used for the odd track day . Weekends they get used to ferry kids to sports and the park :D