SAU Community

My Rb30 Build Plan -garrett Gt3540 1.06

Char

evening,

i heard been working my through the rb30 thread so know basically what im looking at, just want some ppl in the know ie-YOU to give me some advice/opinions on my current plans :P

microtech lt10's, garrett gt3540 1.06r, turbosmart 38mm gate-screamer, 555cc's, 040 intake pump, rb25 box, greddy ebc, etc etc the regular supporting mods.

im hoping for atleast 450rwhp

any advice would be great

head:

stock. with internal mod.

im undecided which rb25det head to use as i currently have 3 in my posession, 2 series 1 heads and 1 series 2.

plans so far for the Block:

-Mahle forged rb30det pistons with rings n pins

need help deciding between either 86.5mm (20thou) or 87mm (40thou)

my machinist recommends the 87mm..

-stock rb30e rods

-acid bath, hone, bore, balance

-harmonic balancer?? stock 25? 30?

-King or ACL bearings, i was going for ACL but my machinist told me to get kings as their "cheaper and better"

-rb25det pumps

-head gasket undecided

my block party

11-06-10_1357.jpg

the series 2 head -stripped acid bathed, crack tested

29-05-10_1649-1.jpg

cheers

Edited by Char

lol i personally wouldnt take a machinist seriously if he likes using 'cheaper and better' in the same sentence. Thats a little scary. Both acl and king bearings are fine for this application.

I would go first oversize for pistons, you dont go anymore then you dont need. So 86.5mm.

I would put on the list a good oil pump. I take it you will be thrashing this thing once done??? Maybe a track day, a go at the drags and just your regular hooning around??

For the airflow (ie power) potential of that turbo, your injector size would be probably best up around the 740cc mark, and also look at an 044 pump.

And depending on your planned max engine speeds, consider whether to install upgraded rod bolts, or just go to beefier rods.

Interested to see how it goes. You shouldn't have any trouble making 450hp. I have a GT3540 .63 ar - was going for the .86 but was peruaded to go for the super response since its going in a heavy Stagea and I'm putting in some tall gearing. You will have the top end but will be interested to see your power curve and how it feels accelerating.

+1 for the 86.5, if you don't HAVE to go 87mm then don't as it leaves room for a future rebuild without scrapping the block.

We run NDC bearings in our 30s.

Put a decent balancer on there, we run the 1000hp ATI balancers, have heard some good things about the Ross stuff but no personal experience.

Hey man!

I wouldnt go any bigger on the bore if it isnt required, go the 86.5mm as others have said incase you need to rebore again in the future

Get some 740cc or 800cc injectors to get the most of out a 3540 1.06

the gate might be a tad small, if the rest of your accessories are 25 then use a 25 balancer

otherwise you could invest in a ati or ross (i dont think you will be reving it to hard given your still using stock rods)

Headgasket will depend on the comp ratio your after, most likely a 1.2mm

For peace of mind, you could always put an aftermarket set of gears in your oil pump or if the current one is worn out

water pumps are only like $100 for the 30?

I wouldnt waste my money on an aftermark balancer... each to their own I guess, but in my opinion for a street car that won't be seeing stupid revs, it is a waste of money. Would upgrade the injectors, I run 550cc on my 30DET with GT35R 0.82 and they do the job (if you have money go bigger to save yourself in future). I would definitely upgrade to an 044 pump - I was running and 040 and we had to stop tuning past 5500rpm on high boost as it was leaning out.

Edited by cactus

Going to spend a few thousand on building an engine (even if it does have stock rods and not going to be revving very hard) and then put a 15-20yo balancer on the front? o..k..

+1 on the 044 in tank.

Going to spend a few thousand on building an engine (even if it does have stock rods and not going to be revving very hard) and then put a 15-20yo balancer on the front? o..k..

+1 on the 044 in tank.

Ah well... in my experience it works fine - as with many other mates who did the same with their 30DET combo. I'm just going off my experience, and the many opinions I was given from builders/tuners saying an aftermarket balancer isn't really necessary.

In saying that - I'm not gonna argue with you - cause I'm sure you would know a lot more than me!

Edited by cactus

I have a GT3540 .63 ar - was going for the .86

Sorry for the hi-jack OP. Does the .63 run outta puff in the upper end? How high are you revving? I would have thought .63 would be too small for a 3.0L

Edited by ST240

Sorry for the hi-jack OP. Does the .63 run outta puff in the upper end? How high are you revving? I would have thought .63 would be too small for a 3.0L

Don't know - hasn't hit the road yet. It is a budget build so will be limited to 6,800 rev/min. It is going in an 1800kg wagon and I am fitting R34 GTR diffs 3.545:1 so early response bit of a priority. I should think it will make 300kw+ ok but after that I don't know

Ah well... in my experience it works fine - as with many other mates who did the same with their 30DET combo. I'm just going off my experience, and the many opinions I was given from builders/tuners saying an aftermarket balancer isn't really necessary.

In saying that - I'm not gonna argue with you - cause I'm sure you would know a lot more than me!

I'm not sure on that last point :verymad:

But really, it's peace of mind.. when I was running my 30 with stock rods, no balancing, a 6,800rpm rev limit and 250rwhp, the stock balancer was fine.

Now that I'm spending $_$ on building it properly and plan to beat up on it a fair bit aswell as make twice the power it was making before, a new quality balancer seems the way to go.

The major deciding factor for me is that after lots of research, it seems the majority of the oil pumps that die have stock balancers strapped to the front. Good balancing and a good harmonic balancer should go a long way to keeping your bottom end together.

Edited by bubba

as far as my turbo with 1.06 i really cbf changng it now :D

also part of my deciding factor was, my mate's r32 gts4 -rb25 with 6boost, haltech, 800cc etc etc with garrett gt35r .63 ran out of puff at 390rwhp 23psi? - actually that may have been awhp..

ordering some mahle pistons 86.5mm

acl bearings

now considering 044 or fpr..

bubba- u have an 044 in ur tank? i head if u put them in the tank they dont last very long.. are u using a filter?

considering if id be better off buying spool rods n using rb25 balancer or use stock rods n buy either ross or ati balancer

the reason im going rb30. took my head off to discover this :down:

29-04-10_1407-1.jpg

acl bearings

bubba- u have an 044 in ur tank? i head if u put them in the tank they dont last very long.. are u using a filter?

considering if id be better off buying spool rods n using rb25 balancer or use stock rods n buy either ross or ati balancer

Don't need a fpr unless you want to squeeze a little bit extra out of whatever injectors you are using. Stock reg is fine for our power levels.

Yes, I have an 044 in tank, been like that for a few years now. It's running a stock-type sock filter setup and mounted as low as possible in the tank (Hyperdrive advised and set it up like that). My mate is also running one set up like mine in his 580awhp 3L'd GTS4.. no surge at all even with the G's this thing pulls off the line (limiter launch is pretty scary lol).

TBH dude, go the spool rods AND a decent balancer.. it's the only thing I regret about my 30.. not putting decent rods and a decent balancer on to begin with. Even if you wait a bit longer to save up the cash, in the long run you'll thank yourself :/

Edited by bubba

as far as my turbo with 1.06 i really cbf changng it now :D

also part of my deciding factor was, my mate's r32 gts4 -rb25 with 6boost, haltech, 800cc etc etc with garrett gt35r .63 ran out of puff at 390rwhp 23psi? - actually that may have been awhp..

acl bearings

the reason im going rb30. took my head off to discover this :P

29-04-10_1407-1.jpg

Dude, nice work!

i had a 35r with a 1.06 rear, 720cc and a etm manifold and 44mm gate, made 650bhp @ the fly @ 2bar @ 6500rpm, ran out of puff, went gt4094r, rapid responce good for trackdays etc.pulled like a train to 6500rpm..

650bhp! nice mate, as mine will be rwd im already a bit pessimistic about my life expectancy if i hit 450-500rwhp :bunny:

bought some new spool rods the other day $670 inc delivery couldnt really complain.

also now probably need to look into buying a better clutch.. starting to add up pretty fast

excuse the mobile phone quality

29-04-10_1413-1.jpg

piston actually in 2 pieces, being held together by the rings

29-04-10_1415-1.jpg