SAU Community

Question About Boost Cars

LNah

Hi all.

I'm brand new to turbo cars, never driven one before, so got a question to ask the experts in here. I'm looking to get a R32/R33 gtst and just test-driven a 93 R33 gtst. It seems to me that the car is pretty draggy in 1st gear and things only started to pick up in 2nd. I don't know if it's me or the car cause I didn't go past the 3500 mark in 1st (I never like to push someone else's car too hard), though I did feel the boost kicking in at 4000.

So just like to ask all here if it's normal for turbo cars to feel a little draggy before the 4000 mark and if this happens to N/A versions.

Thanks all!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stock turbo supposed to be spooling from 2500rpm... 4000rpm sounds a bit late. that's the downside of some modified ones where the bigger aftermarket turbo don't start spooling till later, it may give higher output but only at top end rpm for drag racing strips, but will go like an old dog on start and go traffic on the street.

You gotta give it more stick than that - take it to at least 5500-6000rpm to actually experience what driving a turbo is about...

if any dropkick gets in a car I've got for sale and starts taking it to 5500-6000rpm constantly the only thing he can expect is to be left by the curbside with a black eye.

as said before, stock turbos will give you a noticeable increase in induction by 2500 RPM ("start spooling" in layman's terms) and should reach peak in the high 4000 RPM area ("full boost" in layman's terms). If it's not doing this, then it's either modified with a larger turbo, got an aftermarket boost controller, or sporting a boost leak somewhere that's preventing the turbo functioning optimally.

if any dropkick gets in a car I've got for sale and starts taking it to 5500-6000rpm constantly the only thing he can expect is to be left by the curbside with a black eye.

as said before, stock turbos will give you a noticeable increase in induction by 2500 RPM ("start spooling" in layman's terms) and should reach peak in the high 4000 RPM area ("full boost" in layman's terms). If it's not doing this, then it's either modified with a larger turbo, got an aftermarket boost controller, or sporting a boost leak somewhere that's preventing the turbo functioning optimally.

+1

prob best description there for your answer mate! :blush:

a bog stock GTST is fairly nimble in terms of aggressive power and "woosh"

that is, from factory, its setup to drive very normal like and give even power increase

so you wont feel it magically "come on boost" or "wheelspin" instantly like some would expect

its only when you tune the stock ecu, modify it, increase boost and un-restrict the motor, that it behaves like that

Thanks guys! Very informative. Maybe I'll try to push it a little more for the next ones, but with the seller being comfy with it first, of course. I didn't ask the seller if everything's stock or not. But i guess a leak might be the most possible reason cause the car's really feeling draggy at 1st gear, feels much worse than my N/A MR2. 1500 - 3000 feels almost the same.

Thanks all once again!!

Give it a poke.

My r33 is essentially stock and doesn't start pulling really hard until 3500+rpm.

While you would never flog a car during a test drive, you would want to hold the wellie against the fire wall once or twice to make sure the car revs and pulls cleanly through the entire rev range. To not do would be silly.

Right.... point taken. Thanks.

Give it a poke.

My r33 is essentially stock and doesn't start pulling really hard until 3500+rpm.

While you would never flog a car during a test drive, you would want to hold the wellie against the fire wall once or twice to make sure the car revs and pulls cleanly through the entire rev range. To not do would be silly.

Also if you're afraid to push it, after you have taken the car for a drive to see if everything is in order, get the owner to take you for a drive and tell him you want to feel full boost.

Also if you're afraid to push it, after you have taken the car for a drive to see if everything is in order, get the owner to take you for a drive and tell him you want to feel full boost.

Yep, this is what I do.

I drive it nice and easy, feel the gearbox, the steering, listen for noises etc. Then I ask the owner to "show me what its got", usually gives a good idea what sort life its had with the previous owner too.

Considering you quoted the same rpm range as I did in my previous post on this thread, I'm hoping that your post was not partially directed at me. At no point did I tell the OP to thrash the living crap out of a car he is inspecting, but rather to at some stage or another during the test drive to push it past his 3000rpm he mentioned.

Of course, if it wasn't partially directed at me, good response.

What I like to do is to ask the owner to drive the car "Hard" so I can get a good feel for it even if it's in the passenger seat. I think it's rude to thrash someone else's car especially if you don't even know that person but if you are going to spend the money to buy the car you want to make sure the engine is still in good nick and there is no problems at high revs.

Lolol I thrashed some curries 300zx on a test drive with jiz boy (think I told you a out it shan). I'm talking bouncing off limiter and taking a corner sideways. All he said nervously was "I have never driven my car like this" twas hilarious :D

Lolol I thrashed some curries 300zx on a test drive with jiz boy (think I told you a out it shan). I'm talking bouncing off limiter and taking a corner sideways. All he said nervously was "I have never driven my car like this" twas hilarious :bunny:

Haha good times bro! His face was priceless :)

That ZX actually pulled hard though. I think we were both surprised.

Hey LNah - I recognise your username from the MR2 forums. Don't tell them that you're going from an MR2 to a Skyline or you'll cop shit ;)