SAU Community

Anyone Running Rb26 Ebay Steel Wheel Kit?

I saw this kit a while ago but what put me off was that you need to have the assembly balanced so more than just a bit of DIY is involved.

There is someone on the who is selling rebuilt stell wheel turbos for about $1250 exchange which also seemed reasonable.

I ended up buying some new Garretts but those guys on ebay had some good feedback. Let us know how it all goes. Would be very interested to find out results.

If it's too good to be true - It probably is.

Stay WELL clear of that.

Add to the fact you cannot just "bolt" it together. To be done properly you would need to have it balanced and so on adding on additional costs.

Meaning you might as well pay somewhere more reasonable to do it.

Add to the fact R32 N1's are horribly laggy turbos for bugger all power.

makes me laugh sometimes.... has anyone here actually rebuilt a turbo in their backyard without balancing and actually testing?

Balancing is overated.. whats the worste thats going to happen?

Try it. I have. One turbo i did is still alive on the car 6 years later. No balancing done at all.

makes me laugh sometimes.... has anyone here actually rebuilt a turbo in their backyard without balancing and actually testing?

Well I don't have any experience, but this is the interwebz so that wont stop me from shooting my mouth off.

Balancing is overated.. whats the worste thats going to happen?

Bearings chew out quickly and turbo dies

Try it. I have. One turbo i did is still alive on the car 6 years later. No balancing done at all.

Sample size of one is statistically meaningless. The balancing process can merely involve verification and no actual modification.

Well your call but for the effort to R&R turbos on an RB26 I'd be using ball bearing bolt on ones . The reasons being that they are more reliable and longer lasting - often the wheels in them are later aero tech too . Don't forget with R32 GTRs Nissan was doing their R&D back in about 1988 and a LOT of water has been under the bridge turbo wise since then .

Yes the old N1's were really laggy and only seemed to work with the boost screwed right up .

Then when the old bush/plate thrust bearings lunch themselves , all that work and money to spend again .

Really I think the OE R34 BB turbos should be seen as a practical base line .

You time money patience , cheers A .

First of these are just steel wheels for the stock turbos, doesnt make them N1s.Second if the bearings already lasted almost 20 yrs whats to say new ones wont? So these will just be stock turbos with steel wheels which should spool the same and will have 360* thrust bearings and i also have a divided TT pipe to decrease spool time.