SAU Community

The Mountain Is Calling R35 Owners

Ok guys its time to harden up and get your cars to Bathurst this year...

There is a bunch of us on this forum (you know who you are) spending stupid amounts of money making these things faster and faster yet there is no where better in Australia to drive them to their full potential except Bathurst.

We can all keep pretending that Queensland Raceway, Wakefield Park and others are these amazing awesome tracks but lets be honest there are really only 3 tracks in Australia where this car can stretch its legs and thats Bathurst, Philip Island and Eastern Creek.

We all expierenced how good the GTR was around Philip Island for 4 laps well let me tell you that the GTR is even better around Bathurst, its the only track in Australia where you can pull the limiter in 5th and run 6th gear hard into the chase... 09GTR and I were seeing 270-280kmph lap after lap last year down conrod.

However going up the mountain and across the top was the most exciting part of the track for me - especially when you have to run with VDC off because it keeps killing power into forest elbow.

So im putting it out there to the R35 owners to find another couple thousand dollars and join myself and 09 GTR at the mountain this year.

Here is a snapshot of how the event works.

Tues 9th Nov - Scrutineering in the afternoon.

Wed 10th Nov - Day 1 begins - usual driver briefing - on track by 9am. Most likely 3 groups of cars and the first two sessions are speed limited following pace cars (driven by the likes of Warren Luff, David Wall and other professional drivers). This is the best way to start the even because it allows you to familarise yourself with the track and follow the race lines of the professional drivers. By lunch everone is warmed up and after lunch the non speed limited track day sessions usually start.

Thurs 11th Nov - the event pretty much runs as any track day.

The event then continues on Friday, Sat and Sunday into a Super Sprint.

For first timers I would suggest that the first two days will be sufficent but trust me you will be back - and just like i am this year you will want to do the full 5 day event.

So guys seriously its time to harden the F*k up put your money to good use on a decent race track... and see how good a car/driver combo you really are!!

Edited by White 35

Ok guys its time to harden up and get your cars to Bathurst this year...

There is a bunch of us on this forum (you know who you are) spending stupid amounts of money making these things faster and faster yet there is no where better in Australia to drive them to their full potential except Bathurst.

We can all keep pretending that Queensland Raceway, Wakefield Park and others are these amazing awesome tracks but lets be honest there are really only 3 tracks in Australia where this car can stretch its legs and thats Bathurst, Philip Island and Eastern Creek.

We all expierenced how good the GTR was around Philip Island for 4 laps well let me tell you that the GTR is even better around Bathurst, its the only track in Australia where you can pull the limiter in 5th and run 6th gear hard into the chase... 09GTR and I were seeing 270-280kmph lap after lap last year down conrod.

However going up the mountain and across the top was the most exciting part of the track for me - especially when you have to run with VDC off because it keeps killing power into forest elbow.

So im putting it out there to the R35 owners to find another couple thousand dollars and join myself and 09 GTR at the mountain this year.

Here is a snapshot of how the event works.

Tues 9th Nov - Scrutineering in the afternoon.

Wed 10th Nov - Day 1 begins - usual driver briefing - on track by 9am. Most likely 3 groups of cars and the first two sessions are speed limited following pace cars (driven by the likes of Warren Luff, David Wall and other professional drivers). This is the best way to start the even because it allows you to familarise yourself with the track and follow the race lines of the professional drivers. By lunch everone is warmed up and after lunch the non speed limited track day sessions usually start.

Thurs 11th Nov - the event pretty much runs as any track day.

The event then continues on Friday, Sat and Sunday into a Super Sprint.

For first timers I would suggest that the first two days will be sufficent but trust me you will be back - and just like i am this year you will want to do the full 5 day event.

So guys seriously its time to harden the F*k up put your money to good use on a decent race track... and see how good a car/driver combo you really are!!

Here here! for once in my life I agree with you!

Its still in my top ten of life events...ever! There is only one downside to doing this event. That is you'll be bored crapless by your home track forevermore!

This event has been a Porsche-fest for a while now - it would be great to see the R35's passing the VWs up the mountain.

Would also be quite interesting to see how JPC, Mercury, and CRD-tuned cars compare...

I've had the car for just over a year and i've done about 20 track days thus far (probably more). If bathurst is going to spoil what i am currently (really) enjoying so much is that such a good idea? one track event per year isn't going to cut it!

Duncan i dont think Bathurst will ruin your EC and Wakefield track days / super sprints, it certainly hasnt ruined mine.

Its just an awesome track and the GTR is a just amazing around Bathurst.

Its like saying i wont go to Nurburgring because its too good?

IMHO you have to go to Bathurst if you can, its an amazing experience and yep unfortunatley we can only run once or twice per year there but its worth waiting for each year.

Even if you dont drive it this year come up for a day and see what its all about.

But you have all the gear - JRZ, Aeromotions Wing, Willall tune etc etc and one of the fastest R35's in australia....... you wont be disappointed!

Sounds very interesting.

Who runs the event.

What are the costs?

Is it safely run?

Its the best run event ive been too. Its run by Trackcorp.

Last year there was not one accident in the 2 days that we were on track...

You run at your own pace according to your driving ability.

It was 09GTR's first event last year perhaps he can explain his experience as he was somewhat nervous about tackling the mountain...

Costs for the 2 Day drive are about $3,400 inc GST - its not cheap but then again its not your regular track day event.

www.drivebathurst.com

I would be pushing it with the Mrs, might see if I can sneak in the 2 day drive Bathurst event. Would love to plan for the five day event next year though.

Mark, for your first time the 2 day event would be enough... As mentioned previously you would get approx 70-80 laps if you car can run without overheating.

Last year we didnt have Tranny Coolers and our brakes werent up to scratch so we only really managed 5-6 flatout laps before needing to run one or two cool down laps - plus it was 30 degrees on track!!!.

This year we all have tranny coolers, larger radiators better brakes etc so we should be running each 20-25 min session from start to finish.

I went for a look two years ago, did hot laps etc. Last year I did the two day event. I was very nervous about driving the mountain, but did 86 laps over two days. The track is so well prepared, and the surface is the best I've driven. You really can run the car flat out with VDC off and not feel unsafe at all. Its a fast, grippy surface and everyone there was very respectful of the track and other drivers. They build you up to it over the first morning with ducks and drakes, then you slowly get faster and faster. Ironically Skyline was my favourite part of the track, flat out across the top, unreal views, drifting from inside corner to sand trap - awesome!!!

Conrod is plain scary, as you rise over the crest at 260 on the way to 290-odd, suspension getting light....

in any case, I felt safer in the end on the mountain than I do at EC - turn one at EC is tougher than anything on the Mountain I have to say.

Would be a great annual pilgramidge for the group of fastest R35s of them all...

The last tip is that you cannot drive the track with VDC on. Too many steep drop offs and switchbacks, the computer shits itself and ruins the experience - but so long as you treat the mountain with respect, it will repay you in kind...and then some.

See you all there.

I would love to go, but i'm a bit put off by the cost. $3400 can buy a few track days.

Does the Festival of Speed run a cheaper track session at Bathurst?

Or any other group ?

Some guys from the Porsche club went at easter for 2 days for about $1800 but I understand they may have had this subsidzed.

I believe you, that this would be a very well run event.

Over a 2 or 5 day event how many sets of tyres and brakes would one expect to go through?

I did 85 laps, on bridgestones, they were fine. The mountain aint that tough on tyres. I always did more damage to tyres at oran pk. You'll go through one set of pads, I'm still on my original rear rotors. I've only gone through one set of fronts so far (18 months, 10 track days including bathurst).

The other bathurst events give you no where near the drive time or unlimited speed access.

Its worth every cent.

Speak to anyone who has done the event.

Over 2 days i dont event think you will completely chew through one set of pads - you cant use stock rotors they are not up to it.

The Easter Festival of Speed was not the same type of event...