SAU Community

A Desperate Cry For Help From Africa

Hi all let me introduce myself my name is Adam i live in africa.

I am a hardcore Die hard nissan fan and unfortunately i have been bitten by a bout of bad luck.

Here is my story i got my car a few years ago and she ran beautifully until that unlucky day i did a bearing in.

Then sent the car off to a well known engine builder who moved from Zimbabwe to South africa and he did the job for me.

He fitted Arp rod bolts and redid the crank and conrods new head gasket and used the old rings ?????

Any ways he then proceeded to fit a New Exedy clutch cover 1400kgs clamping load and a three paddle copper clutch.

So this build wasnt great i had heavy breathing and the rings didnt bed in....

The engine lasted 3500kms and then shortly afterward a rod bolt snapped and the head came off clean i can post links if any one wants to see.

Apparently i think he ground the bolts because they were too long on the threaded section .

The bolts were for a VG30TT 300zx twin turbo.

Any ways after much arguing and all the rest i ordered a new engine from japan Nur spec and had it delivered to me.

I got a Ati damper pulley.

and i also got the flywheel balanced ,....... Dual mass flywheel hmmmmmm .

Any ways assembled everything drove the car for 1200kms and the engine fried the bottom end.

So the thrust bearing was damaged badly.

And the car had such a huge vibration when acceleratiing hard ..

So the clutch plate was out of balance now after these idiots balanced cause you cannot balance a dual mass flywheel.

The three paddle clutch cannot be used on a 34 cause it was never made for that car.

the clutch cover was too high on the clamping load and it stuffed the engine up.

So i am stuck once again.

I have a good block a damaged head and damaged crank.

I need to know a few things

1 how do you setup a hydraulic clutch on a Gtr34 so that the engage and disengage point is correct

2 where can i get a second hand Nur spec engine from or where can i get a second hand Bnr34 engine from japan from ????

3 where can i get some decent turbos from garret N1 turbos from my car that i originally had or where can i get some garrett gt2871r's from -10.

How can i stop this engine breaking thing from happening.

Should i rebuild the old engine i mean i know very little about rebuilding engines but i can do it i think if i put my head to it.

I have been qouted like 11 000usd for a nur spec sub assembly long block that includes head but this time it wont be a repaired engine from nissan it will be brand new cause apparently i got a engine that was a repaired engine from japan.

what a stress i have spent over 15 000usd on my car already and i have gotten no where.

I dont have a oil cooler so that couldnt have caused all these engine failures .

I have lubed up everything and built up oil pressure on this new motor before starting it and taken out plugs .

im just tired of fixing fixing and spending lots all the time and as you can imagine my wife is starting to get flat with my :D.

What suggestions do you guys have and what should i do???

Would appreciate your comments and advice .

Kind regards

adam

I would have thought there was a quality workshop in Zimbabwe or South Africa. Tracking that down would be my number one thought.

I know of at least three places I could recommend in NZ to rebuild your engine to a high standard. Check out freight to NZ or Australia - members will be able to suggest workshops in Australia that could do the job but surely there must be someone on your continent that can do it!!

... yassis broo, move out of Africa!

in all seriousness, get an engine built by a reputable builder in Aus or Nz. Get them to tune it and run it in on the engine dyno. Then have the engine and tuned ecu sent to you to be bolted in.

Rob from RIPS in NZ has alot of cars shipped to him to be worked on... He dose fantastic work.

Rob has been bending over backwards to help>

If top-notch advice isn't taken, not much use starting another thread.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/139490-looking-...ne-rebuild.html

Yeah read this same thing on Pommy GTR forum, you can't just keep asking for advice until someone tells you what you want to hear, it doesn't work like that.

no offense i ask rob lots of questions if he was so keen to help and wanted my business he would entertain me and at least advise me how to go about finding where the problem came from yes or no???

for you first world people sending an engine off is so dam easy

picture this i send my motor off it will cost me about 2000usd one way for shipping .

and there is a high and very high chance it will get lost or stolen think about it this is not england or usa or aus this is africa .

a flight to any of the places aussie or new zealand would cost 1500 usd and would take apporx 15 hours .

better for me to buy a brand new built engine from japan it would be cheaper then suggesting i blow cash sending a motor to rob to be fixed that might not even be repairable honestly.

then 1000 dollars spent on shipping and i would still be no where close ......

lets be frank with each other i could spend loads of cash chasing my tail .

but i need answers who can tell me how to setup my cluttch pedal travel correctly ??

who can tell me where i can get a second hand engine or brand new gtr34 engine from.

who can give me genuine advice to help find out what caused my second engine failure

and not assume or point me to some bloke on the moon for help.

im asking cause on the pom forum people said find out what caused the failure but no one asked for pics .

no one said lets go through this from start to finish and find out what caused the problem.

how can i find out the problem if no one is willing to see the parts and comment.

fair rob said no point in continuing until you find what caused engine failur e but i cant guess on my own what caused engine failure i need your help .

no offense i ask rob lots of questions if he was so keen to help and wanted my business he would entertain me and at least advise me how to go about finding where the problem came from yes or no???

I told you months ago what I thought the problem was and I still think the same thing.

Ages ago I asked you to e-mail me pictures, you havn't.

Ages ago I offered to have your engine picked up from you at a FAR lower shipping price than you had been quoted so it could be assesed, rebuilt or replaced if required, I asked where exactly you lived so i could get you a quote, you never got back to me.

You then started a thread saying you wanted to save some money and have someone teach you how to build you own engine.

Not sure what else I can do, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck getting your car sorted.

Rob

post the pictures and we will see what we can see.

forget about the clutch for now. that's the least of your problems. clutch take up point can be adjusted in cabin by using the adjuster just like any other car. hydraulic clutch is not a dark art. if your car is fairly standard I'd suggest buying a standard clutch to go into it. I'm sure many parts retailers will be happy to sell you a genuine nissan clutch and ship to you.

yes buying a complete engine from japan is possible but it's just as risky freighting something from japan as it is from Aus or NZ or UK. I would have thought you would be better off sourcing something in europe. these cars are pretty popular in the UK these days and there should be someone competent there who can help.

anyway post as many pictures as you can of the damage and we will try and help you determine what went wrong.

thankyou for your interest in my topic.

will try and get some links up of what photos i have taken but what photos are the most important to try get to the root of the problem??

rob a big thankyou i have sent you an email with my location.

and some possible options.

again a big thankyou all.

this sounds more like a desperate cry for attention rather than help.

Mate you've had some of the best rb minds in the game offer to help and you ignore them. Whats up with that?

this sounds more like a desperate cry for attention rather than help.

Mate you've had some of the best rb minds in the game offer to help and you ignore them. Whats up with that?

hear hear

LOL you expect someone to teach you all the in's and out's of an engine.. so you can go home and magically know how to diagnose it yourself..

you then expect this to take how long? and at what rate of pay do you expect a top quality engine builder to charge?

i'm really surprised at Rob's patience and hasnt cut shit on the forum yet.. what photos are most important to find a problem that he doesnt know what it is? how does someone get so much money to get a 34 Nur and yet be so thick.. please teach me the ways...

for you first world people sending an engine off is so dam easy

picture this i send my motor off it will cost me about 2000usd one way for shipping .

and there is a high and very high chance it will get lost or stolen think about it this is not england or usa or aus this is africa .

a flight to any of the places aussie or new zealand would cost 1500 usd and would take apporx 15 hours .

better for me to buy a brand new built engine from japan it would be cheaper then suggesting i blow cash sending a motor to rob to be fixed that might not even be repairable honestly.

then 1000 dollars spent on shipping and i would still be no where close ......

lets be frank with each other i could spend loads of cash chasing my tail .

but i need answers who can tell me how to setup my cluttch pedal travel correctly ??

who can tell me where i can get a second hand engine or brand new gtr34 engine from.

who can give me genuine advice to help find out what caused my second engine failure

and not assume or point me to some bloke on the moon for help.

im asking cause on the pom forum people said find out what caused the failure but no one asked for pics .

no one said lets go through this from start to finish and find out what caused the problem.

how can i find out the problem if no one is willing to see the parts and comment.

fair rob said no point in continuing until you find what caused engine failur e but i cant guess on my own what caused engine failure i need your help .

Dude, your comming off like a typical arrogant yaarpie. (yaaarpie is slang for southafrican, as they yaaaa alot)

I have to work with them every day....

Where in Africa are you??? It's a big place you know.... You still havn't said. It's your choise to live in Africa and own a skyline. So you have to deal with the shipping costs and lack of knowledge about the cars overthere... no point biaching about it.

If your not a mechanic etc, then you cannot hope to build an engine yourself, without some sort of training, equipment and experience. so don't bother trying.

By the sounds of things, if you can't figure out how to adjust a clutch then I wouldn't bother touching your car with any tools, just stick to washing it.

You can keep building motors, installing motors till the cows come home, but unless they're correctly installed, manitained and tuned you will just keep destroying them.

Here is my advice to you:

1. Sell the skyline and buy a 1984 300C merc... you wont kill that.

2. Have someone remove the engine, transmission, wiring harness and ecu, pack it up and shipp it to somone who knows what they're doing. Have them re-build what needs to be done, tuned and checked on a dyno or in a test vehicle. They will send it back as a complete matching set. Pay a correctly qualified mechanic to install everything as it should be and drive away.

Chances are you will get 3 or 4km down the road, then car jacked anyway... so why bother?

3. Were back to the '84 300C.... no one will want to steal that.

I have friends in SA, if your in that area that may be able to help. But honestly with your attitude why would they bother?

J.

over this side of the world.. *sigh* there must be something in the water or something....

People are very different.

Take all common sense, and chuck it out the window.

Everyone is a qualified expert

You can modify anything to fit, she will be right mate

If you can save $5 and buy a lesser quality part then you should

Its better to do everything yourself even though you have no idea what you are doing.

Oil's ARE oil's.. A cheap $30 for 5 litre oil does the same job as a $150 oil change would (main cause of engine failure here)

I have seen one guy destroy a engine 5 times in 4 months, he did not want to pay $30 to get his AFR's checked after destroying the first motor. 4 motors later ???

Seen one guy with a R33 GTR rebuild his engine and use the old engine bearings AND rings.. Engine lasted 1 month

Seen all kinds of things that you would never believe.. The best thing to do is offer your opinion and then don't talk to them about it anymore it just gets more and more frustrating and just sit back and watch those engine parts fly and have a laugh about it to yourself.

Back on topic...

The best place for you to buy a r34 rb26 is directly from Japan. Once you get it running take it to your local dyno shop (i know one guy in SA) Johannesburg who will can help you if you are around there. AND GET YOUR STATE OF TUNE CHECKED.

USE GOOD QUALITY OIL. Remember most oils around these parts are NOT original, it may say "Castrol" or "Mobil 1" but from which factory was it produced for the euro market or jap market? You just never know what your going to get inside the bottle. This is VERY important.

AVOID OILS MADE IN the sphincter of the universe FACTORY'S

Good luck with it,

you know its so weird how people interpret different sentences and questions on a page.

i never thought i was coming across as offensive not even in the mildest degree ....

my apologies if i sound like a arrogant c u n t.

im an idiot but i try my best to figure stuff out.

i can imagine a merc though my corolla 86 has been beaten to death and still goes strong after a hard day drifting.

i will get my state of tune checked once i get the motor in.

i will try and pay a good tuner to build me an engine and get it tuned as a set.

im not an idiot ive set clutches on a subaru wrx and on subaru legacy.s they use the same clutch system.

my question was simple did i miss something on fitting this motor back in on the clutch adjustment that might have caused the failure ?.?

im not afrikaans nor a dutch man i live in zimbabwe.

a days drive from johannesburg .

i wont embarke on the building the engine plea cause alot of peole have discouraged it .

but i would like to know how a clutch should be setup on a skyline.

how a ati damper pulley should be fitted.

and a few other questtions .

i bought a nur spec because i thought it would have more resale value should i ever need to sell the car one day.

i just dont understand why no one likes progression no one wants to try something they might love or admire.

i love engine building its an art and one that doesnt come easy ....

why kick a dog when its down, im two engines down and well where can i go from here i have to find a solutuons and if the funds dont permit sending my engine gearbox and or car what else can i do .....

it appears forums are a place wherre people dont help each other out its a place where you post a problem and get told sorry u cant do it send xyz off to zzz person and get it done there simple .

so i guess thats what i have to do

thanks guys for all your help.

sorry again if this post has offended anyone

im an idiot but i try my best to figure stuff out.

Nothing wrong with trying to figure stuff out. That's one of the reasons lots of us are here.

i love engine building its an art and one that doesnt come easy ....

why kick a dog when its down, im two engines down and well where can i go from here i have to find a solutuons and if the funds dont permit sending my engine gearbox and or car what else can i do .....

it appears forums are a place wherre people dont help each other out its a place where you post a problem and get told sorry u cant do it send xyz off to zzz person and get it done there simple .

Hi mate,

I'm sure anybody can learn the art of engine building. And if that's what you want to do, then by all means go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't try learning on an RB26. There are other motors to learn on that will cost far less when you break stuff.

Once you're proficient with them, then go find a reputable RB builder and pay them to teach you the engine-specific tricks so you can rebuild yours.

Kind of a lot of work to go to just to rebuild a motor once...

But you asked for help solving your problem (2 engine breakages and you were getting tired of spending).

Sorry, but the likelihood of you being able to pull down/reassemble your motor properly with no assistance/teaching may as well be zero.

That's why people here are telling you to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing. Once. Properly.

The advice you've been given is going to net you the best result for this specific situation.

Regards,

Saliya

we would love to help you to build the engine yourself but we are not engine builders.. maybe you should try a engine builder forum or buy a book on how to build engines and read it? might be a good place to start. Buy a shitty bmw or merc that has lots of parts available in your country and start with rebuilding that engine and see how you go.

However the best way for you to fix your car is buy a full engine from Japan and install it and then take it to a tuner and get it tuned / checked for any lean conditions or detonation etc etc.

good luck with it

i have just read the thread on the gtr uk site as well. this guy needs to be realistic about his expectations of people. he has had some the best RB builders in the business offer all the help that they can realistically give, but it's just never enough for him.

you need to accept that living in Zimbabwe puts you at a huge logistical disadvantage, and to get around this problem it will cost you dearly. that is what happens when you choose to drive such a specialized high maintenance vehicle in a region of the world where the facilities and experience to cater for it just do not exist. no matter what you do to get your car back on the road, you will be paying through the nose for it.

if you absolutely must learn how to build the engine yourself, your only hope really is to first read up on the overhaul manuals as much as you can and then go and enter the motor trade as an apprentice because i very much doubt any engine builder out there will teach you the ins and outs of doing it yourself just out of pure goodwill. it simply is not feasible due to the huge amount of time they would have to spend doing so, they have a business to run and time is money. it is a trade that even after 20-30years into it, people are still learning. so you cannot simply learn to build your engine in a couple of weeks.

i think you are wasting a lot of peoples time here, you were making weak excuses why you hadn't emailed rob from rips with more details so he could help you. if for some reason your computer wont send an email, then use another. even i have access to at least half a dozen computers that i could send an email from.

i do sympathize with your misfortune, but you need to be realistic about what you expect from people.

Edited by jonboy