SAU Community

How to turbo your N/A

Hmmm... 100% legal might be difficult (or expensive)... but if you are stealthy enough with your install of the SAFC or whatever it would be incredibly hard for anyone to pin you for it...

On my old car, the e-manage was mounted to the left of the glove box, all that could be accessed there was the USB lead for programming, everything was invisible without pulling the glove box out. The loom ran down behind the stock ECU and was invisibly wired into a Field one-touch harness.

You would have to be super-keen to figure that out as not being standard.

Well when (if? been there 8 weeks now..) I ever get my car back.. I'll see how it's mounted cause I'm paranoid about being done for it :)

Though for peace of mind, engine swap may be the only real answer for legality in vic. Then again, I "heard" that "someone" had managed to get a RB26 up and running on an auto, which was originally a NA. which sounds like an awesome way around the problem but with my extremely limited knowledge I'd imagine some kind of aftermarket management would be needed too :P

God victoria is teh suq. I may just have to cave to the gf's comments about moving somewhere warmer, I.e WA or QLD..

Well when (if? been there 8 weeks now..) I ever get my car back.. I'll see how it's mounted cause I'm paranoid about being done for it :)

Though for peace of mind, engine swap may be the only real answer for legality in vic. Then again, I "heard" that "someone" had managed to get a RB26 up and running on an auto, which was originally a NA. which sounds like an awesome way around the problem but with my extremely limited knowledge I'd imagine some kind of aftermarket management would be needed too :P

God victoria is teh suq. I may just have to cave to the gf's comments about moving somewhere warmer, I.e WA or QLD..

If you're not on P plates, I wouldn't be too worried. Back on P's, I would get pulled over all the time in my fairly stock 33 GTS (just a stupidly loud cat-back exhaust), but only got EPA'd once for too loud and defected a couple of times for balding tires and my favourite 'not enough padding on the steering wheel'.

Got off my P's, converted to a turbo with FMIC, Pod, boost controller, ECU, etc, and never even been pulled over (for that, anyway). Still got the same loud exhaust (although admittedly the turbo did quieten that down a lot, I now just call it 'tastefully loud' :D), and the Turbo+Zorst+FMIC+Pod sounds like an electric leaf blower under there, but I don't drive like a moron and don't attract the attention of the boys in blue.

I even live in Knox... Poptart territory... and the only time I've been pulled over was by him... I'd forgotten to renew my rego which had expired a week earlier, so approx $500 fine plus approx $500 rego... but my fault, I'll take that. Even he didn't look under the bonnet or anything...

lol electric leaf blower is definitely a good way to describe it! My zorst is a bit droney, still need to get around to fitting a mid-muffler or hot dog resonator.. there's no resonator at the moment and it's a 3" mandrel bend system from the turbo-back. the droneyness + leaf blower effect really sounds like i'm gardening some times lol

any more info on rb20 set ups? im guuna start in jan and will post here but want abit more info yet... will be using stock det manifolds and injectors, vg30 or r33 turbo?, remapd comp, fmic, walbro and new exhaust.. sound good?

if it's illegal then don't do it! A P Plater with a turbo = no insurance! Both you and the person you hit will not be happy. Save your money for a GTSt/GTT later, or slowly buy the parts so when you're ready you can do the conversion then.

Hey guys, looking at doing this to my R33 had a few questions on the noise side of things as it is illegal for me to be doing this (P plater) how loud and noticeable is it?

If you're in VIC, I really would recommend not doing this, you'll be in a similar hellhole I've been trying to get it legal, and I'm not even on my P's :cheers:

It may be fun for a little while, but when it bites you in the ass it's not worth it..

Just been looking around for a turbo for a +T conversion and I need clarification on whether a NEO turbo is steel-wheel with ball bearings or not. So many people on the internet saying it is while some argue it's not. So can any of you clarify for me?

Cheers

Edited by mjscar

• 2 weeks later...

this is what i did.

1. took RB25DE out

2. put RB25DET in

3. slapped a FMIC, walbro fuel pump + fuel reg, microtech LT-12S, highflowed turbo, 3" turbo-back exhaust

4. win.

pics below :woot:

post-45120-1262337450_thumb.jpg

post-45120-1262337491_thumb.jpg

post-45120-1262337539_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
this is what i did.

1. took RB25DE out

2. put RB25DET in

3. slapped a FMIC, walbro fuel pump + fuel reg, microtech LT-12S, highflowed turbo, 3" turbo-back exhaust

4. win.

pics below :)

thats a nice setup right thur, love the front face plenum

how much power are u pushing throught the new det?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys... Perhaps my situation is a little bit different and unique. What are your thoughts on the practicality of this.

I have a relatively cheap R32 gts-t sedan auto. FMIC, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, Brakes. Car has been really good to us and we've put about 30000km on it. However, yesterday my worst fears were confirmed, a very slight tap tap sound from somewhere deep inside :P. Mechanic feels it is likely one of the gudgeon pins and the engine will keep going for awhile yet.. however I guess it's a wake up call to work out where to go next. The car is my fiances and she wants to keep it auto.

I have a _complete_ (all ancillary, pipework, loom, ecu) RB25de NEO less gearbox out of an R34 which is in really good nick. I had a mind to put it in an old Z or K, however I am not averse to putting it in this R32 instead. If I went down this path I have everything needed already to turbo it (all the RB20det parts) however I am stumped on two problems which are intertwined. It is my understanding that the 33DET ecu will not run a 34 neo. An R34det ECU will be required to run the engine (which I have yet to find) however the R32 ECU is required to run the auto. Is there an easy solution to this?

Given the additional problem of the auto box, would it be a better plan to simply sell this engine and find a complete DET?

Hey guys... Perhaps my situation is a little bit different and unique. What are your thoughts on the practicality of this.

I have a relatively cheap R32 gts-t sedan auto. FMIC, Exhaust, Fuel Pump, Brakes. Car has been really good to us and we've put about 30000km on it. However, yesterday my worst fears were confirmed, a very slight tap tap sound from somewhere deep inside :P. Mechanic feels it is likely one of the gudgeon pins and the engine will keep going for awhile yet.. however I guess it's a wake up call to work out where to go next. The car is my fiances and she wants to keep it auto.

I have a _complete_ (all ancillary, pipework, loom, ecu) RB25de NEO less gearbox out of an R34 which is in really good nick. I had a mind to put it in an old Z or K, however I am not averse to putting it in this R32 instead. If I went down this path I have everything needed already to turbo it (all the RB20det parts) however I am stumped on two problems which are intertwined. It is my understanding that the 33DET ecu will not run a 34 neo. An R34det ECU will be required to run the engine (which I have yet to find) however the R32 ECU is required to run the auto. Is there an easy solution to this?

Given the additional problem of the auto box, would it be a better plan to simply sell this engine and find a complete DET?

Get the R32 Ecu remapped.

Got the gears already.. but the N/A cams are already pretty awesome so it would be better to try and preserve VCT imo. I'm thinking about what's involved to get tiptronic into an R32 :).