SAU Community

Upgrading Rotors And Pads - Opinions Needed

Reflector

So I'm new here BUT, before anyone tells me I should read the Stickied thread, I have. Down the the last (15th) page, and have had no success in coming to a conclusion.

I've currently got RDA front slotted (just machined) and stock rear rotors. I also have (atm) Ferodo's Thermo Quiet front disc pads and bendix standard pads in the rear.

My reason for upgrading is that I have tried 3 pads to date in the front and have not been able to permanently rid of this damn squeal.

Car - R33 Series II M-Spec II 96'

Pads I've tried in the front:

Bendix GCT normal: Gave a very noticable squeal on unmachined rotors - Dust was 'average'

Bendix Ultimate: at first, they didn't squeal, then got progressively unbearable on unmachined rotors - VERY DUSTY!

Ferodo Thermo Quiet: Brilliant to start off with as I finally got the rotors machined, only 2.5 weeks on and the squeal is coming back. Virtually no dust :D

So, completely over with experimenting, I've decided to upgraded rotors and pads completely.

I already have on order DBA4000 Gold drilled and slotted front and rear rotors. So that's not the issue. What I am after is a reliable pad that is virtually dust less (or can compare to the ferodo's as I have a white car with white wheels - very noticeable when covered in dust) and a pad that won't squeal or break down with in the first few months (if ever). I should mention now these will be 99.9% street use with the occasional plan of running the 1/4 down willowbank. Not really into track days (for now).

I know there's probably been many topics on this, but I need some fresh opinions instead of digging through half useless thread posts.

So to sum up what I'm looking for:

No squeal

VERY LOW dust

Reliable for (normal to aggressive) street use

Cost is not a huge issue, I'd prefer to pay more for quality.

Thanks for anyone who posts.

Edited by Reflector

QFM HPX might be what your after, fairly cheap (check sponsors and group buy forum). Do you still have your factory shims still, almost always whenever brakes make alot of noise the shims are missing.

Are the shims you talking about the anti-rattle plates that back the pads? I have the originals, but I was getting a squeal with them as well so I took them out for my last set of pads. There really was no noticeable difference in feel and like I said, the squeal came back anyway >.<. Do you know which member sells the QFM HPX pads?

QFM HPX are NOT what you are after, they make heaps of dust and can squeal (mine did, not really bad though). They do work great for what you pay and I would buy them again but i would not get them if you want clean wheels. I personally prefer pads to create lots of dust as long as they don't chew through discs and pull up hot or cold. Maybe keep looking for suggestions.

QFM HPX are NOT what you are after, they make heaps of dust and can squeal (mine did, not really bad though). They do work great for what you pay and I would buy them again but i would not get them if you want clean wheels. I personally prefer pads to create lots of dust as long as they don't chew through discs and pull up hot or cold. Maybe keep looking for suggestions.

Thanks for your input =] .

The reason why I'm after a low disc pad is because with the bendix ultimates, my (white) front wheels were almost grey going on black after a week's worth of driving compared to the back wheels which I dare say could have lasted a month and still remained noticeably cleaner. I'm well aware that the front brakes do the most work so more dust is usually expected.

I was (not - because they're not suppose to) recommended the bendix heavy duty range from the DBA customer trade line. He said to stay clear of the ultimate's. However, I wasn't aware the heavy duties were a performance pad, but rather used for 4x4 purposes and heavy loads. What options would I have in the way of ceramic pads that would meet my requirements?

wash your car more regularly and use good pads?

i've got project mu spec B's they dust up heaps but f**k they are good pads

got a bit of a squeak in them now after doing a track day, but only when the car is almost stopped or going slow it will squeak sometimes

wash your car more regularly and use good pads?

i've got project mu spec B's they dust up heaps but f**k they are good pads

got a bit of a squeak in them now after doing a track day, but only when the car is almost stopped or going slow it will squeak sometimes

Wash my car more regularly? 1-2 times a week wash and every fortnight wax :P any more regularly and I'd have no tank water left :) .

Because the cars white, it turns the whole front end noticeably dirtier. BUT my MAIN concern will be no squeal. Because after 3 pads and a machined set of slotted rotors, I've achieved nothing but a little extra time before the problem reoccurs.

I wish people would stop hating on QFM HPX pads when there are clearly other issues with their brakes. I get bugger all dust and NO squeal using them on rotors that haven't been machined.

I have used Bendix Ultimate on my previous car, and the amount of black crap that coated the front wheels was awful.

not good

cancel the order, get this: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/de...0118.210.98.179

much better value for money

Im using the front 324mm discs and bracket adapter for stock nissan calipers.

Id also suggest rebuilding the calipers: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/de...0118.210.98.179

Using QFM a1rm pads. amazing stopping power. value for money IMHO

not good

cancel the order, get this: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/de...0118.210.98.179

much better value for money

Im using the front 324mm discs and bracket adapter for stock nissan calipers.

Id also suggest rebuilding the calipers: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/de...0118.210.98.179

Using QFM a1rm pads. amazing stopping power. value for money IMHO

The rotors I've got coming are under trade price because of the line of work I'm in. Is that $750 US? Cause that'll work out only a touch under what I'll be paying. Everything is in good condition atm and I don't think I'll be looking into rebuilding the calipers just yet. What I'll have should be ample stopping power for how I drive. How are the QFM a1rm pads on dust? Because I think I read they have more dust than the HPX... correct me if I'm wrong O.o

Have you tried brake goo by chance.. my daily ute squeeled like a pig and i put brake goo in = problem solved.. pad was rubbing against the side wall..

i don't think your trade price is that low as i got no where near your price.. Mine were only slotted but still shouldnt be a massive price differece to yours.. Maybe ring some other companies for a quote..

I run QFM A1RMs on mine, very very dusty. I remember when I had the HPX pads on, my front wheels rarely ever got dirty (but then again they were gunmetal grey so I might have missed it)

Have you tried brake goo by chance.. my daily ute squeeled like a pig and i put brake goo in = problem solved.. pad was rubbing against the side wall..

i don't think your trade price is that low as i got no where near your price.. Mine were only slotted but still shouldnt be a massive price differece to yours.. Maybe ring some other companies for a quote..

Yeah I have tried 'Brake goo' On the pistons of the caliper. I'm an apprentice mechanic by trade and that was my first 'quick fix solution', standard practice when we do brakes too. The prices we got were firstly retail from the DBA sales person in direct conversation. However they said, it was only their price that they SHOULD be sold at, not much more. So we got them below the price they quoted.

http://www.dba.com.au/product-search

Nissan

Skyline

1993/AUG - 1998/JUL R33 GTS-T (Eng: RB25DET)

That's what we worked off of.

We've got the 4000 DBA Gold drilled and slotted coming. Maybe you got the street series slotted which are significantly cheaper...

Edited by Reflector

rebuilding the calipers would be a good start. takes an hour, tops.

the link I posted is USD, delivery isnt that much

contains 324mm front rotors, 297mm rear rotors, brake pads, brake lines front and rear, brake fluid, plus the front disc adapter to fit the nissan calipers to larger discs

best bang for buck around, no doubt about it

hauls my stagea down amazingly well

QFM HPX are NOT what you are after, they make heaps of dust

Really?

...couple of months now. I have not noticed any dust...

http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/showpost.php...mp;postcount=17

1000kms on the QFM HPX pads with the slotted rotors supplied from GSL and have to say zero dust.

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.p...5398#post375398

No dust no noise. Worked far better then my previous set of Bendix Pads

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index....mp;p=1285952698

Virtually no dust - great

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gsl-rallysp....html#post75096

They also produce stuff all dust and aren't noisy...

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=128...p;postcount=136

...no brake dust

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/gsl-ra...tml#post1041626

I'm currently using qfm hpx as well and have had no problems with them! They're a great all-round pad with very little dust. i wash my car once every 3 weeks and there really isn't much build up of brake dust at all. nothing compared to the bendix ultimates i used to have! I've also heard good things about the qfm a1rm but I've heard they're more suited for track-use as they apparently chew through rotors a lot quicker.

I got QFM HPX with RDA rotors, no squeel, virtually no dust and decent stopping power. No point paying big $ for a street pad, unless you do a lot of heavy braking.

Edited by Dani Boi

I wish people would stop hating on QFM HPX pads when there are clearly other issues with their brakes. I get bugger all dust and NO squeal using them on rotors that haven't been machined.

I have used Bendix Ultimate on my previous car, and the amount of black crap that coated the front wheels was awful.

Agree 100% on both counts - especially the amazing different between Bendix and QFM ..

I love my QFM HPX pads - with braided brake lines, BCS, good quality brake fluid - it's a winning combination...