SAU Community

'71 164 Volvo Rb25det Conversion

Hi,

Ok as you can see from the title I'm in the process of putting an rb25det into my 40yr old volvo, give it a breath on new life you could say.

Yous can all have a laugh and give me shit bout my choice of car, really I don't give a shit. I like the car because its unique you never see any of em on the road anymore, and if done up right they can look pretty tough. Volvo...tough? probably two words that don't really go together often or even fit together. My other Volvo (yes I have 2) is a '81 264 with a 383ci v8 in it. Without looking at it, it sounds tough. I think it looks pretty tough as well. A Swedish muscle car you could say.

The 164 holds some sentimental to me as it is the first car my parents gave to me, my mates and I used to get around in it, getting up to all sorts of shit. The car was pretty notorious around my hood and earned the reputation as the 'Dodgy Volvo'.

Either way a 30yr old car in the hands of a 16yr old without much mechanical sympathy, came to an end eventually.

So 11yrs later I saw one for sale that was pretty tidy and couldn't resist.

I've had all sorts of experience with RB's but never a 25. So I thought that would be the go naturally.

Picked up a wrecked R33 S2 for $2500 off this forum, was a pretty good deal I thought as it was only panel damage and still drivable and mechanically very good.

So the project has begun.....

I'm at the stage where I'm trying to figure out the accessory plug that comes off the ECU so I can get the dash, Ignition switch and all the rest of it wired up. Not many wiring diagrams have the plug that connects to the harness inside the cabin. The ones that I have found only have codes for each wire instead of listing what each wire is for.

I need some help trying to identify what these wires are that are output from the ECU. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'll put some pics up of the car so you can get an idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

this is the one I'm putting the motor in

post-37988-1285829096_thumb.png

This was my first one back in '99

post-37988-1285829244_thumb.jpg

And this is what I'm aiming for

post-37988-1285829398_thumb.jpg

Like I said feel free to give me shit and have a laugh. I've had my share of skylines and boosted or V8 commonwhores

Now I'm back to being a bloody Volvo driver!!!

good luck mate, i did something similar a couple of years back, different model car and 1jz but similar.

result was awesome, well worth it.

http://www.csapo.com.au/volvo/index.htm

Checked out your site, Thats cool man! the 1jz looks like it was meant to be there fits nicely aye. Same with the 308 (stroked to 383) in mine fits snug in the engine bay, still trying to figure how to get the holley 750 double pumper on the high rise manifold and keep it all under the bonnet on my 264. I'll have to get some pics up of that.

Do you used all the DVS gear to lower it and keep all the suspension geometry correct, How does it handle?

I'm trying to figure what type of center I'm gonna put in the Dana 30 (164 and 264 both have the same diff centers), there are plenty of locking centers available because its the same that Chrysler used in some of their jeeps.

How did the powertrax diff go?

Also with that radiator, did you have that custom made by PWR, or was it off the shelf?

Edited by hecticunt

• 3 weeks later...
good luck mate, i did something similar a couple of years back, different model car and 1jz but similar.

result was awesome, well worth it.

http://www.csapo.com.au/volvo/index.htm

Wow its a small world!

I remember you from my volvo days!

I used to have a gold 244 turbo- I think i might have sold you an M45 gearbox down in Wollongong one night!