SAU Community

The Video Editing & Effects Thread

Pezhead

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I took a few minutes to shoot some "test" footage when we were out at lunch today. This is shot with my new bit of video kit - a Panasonic GH2 M4/3 camera and 14-140 kit lens.

I'm very pleased with the amount of detail the camera captures. I've got a bit of learning to do to set it up correctly as the bright lighting changes caused my the picture to blow out.

heres a quick edit i did for my bro.

uses roxio game capture card from a ps3. 720p

edited with the software that came with.

just a quick mess around :)

Heres a few shots of the new video rig. I've still got a few bits to build but its finally taking shape.

Can't wait to get out and do some field testing.

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you guys would be interested in this, but I've made quite a few still image videos - With very timid effects.

http://mezmamedia.co...an_lan_wedding/ (my work server, not youtube sorry guys).

After the first 30 seconds or so, its fairly standard still image effects. But if you fast forward to approx 2 minutes, you will get some different style image effects which sometimes make people go "hey?".

If you welcome gaming video's, I have one with more than plenty of effects for a game which is 10+ years old (The video I'm thinking, I made about 5 years ago). I'll post up if you guys would like to see.

Edited by wilorichie

I just took my first videos on my 7D on sunday lol. No idea what i'm doing, but figured i'd post the link. All i did was flick it to video, adjust exposure and film it. No editing at all wouldn't know how to without adobe premiere.

Realized how long rendering takes and importing/exporting etc... So just cancelled it and straight upload to youtube (215MB)!!!!

Can anyone tell me how to compress it a lot more but not lose video quality? Would like to take some more videos at events because the noise is pr0n.

Ok, if you use recompression software and keep it HD with reasonable bit rates (3k-8k/s) then you will get decent stuff. Use either H.264, XVid or DivX codecs or if you are on a Mac then use quicktime (M4V - which is a H.264 variant). H.264 is currently the best compression for quality and compression but it will take some time.

If you just want to recompress then Handbrake is a reasonable tool that can do decent h.264 compression.

Welcome to the wonderful world of video my friend!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Time for a thread resurrection. As always best to click through for HD viewing pleasure.

Here is a video I did for the Aus Drifting Nationals at Sydney Motorsport Park.

Also a time lapse I did a few months back chronicalling my GTR upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey chaps,

I'm going to prob contribute to this thread a fair bit moving forward. Just got some new equipment and going to give it a crack.

Bought a Canon 7D on the weekend, and been playing around with it. I use Premier Pro and After Effects at the moment. Been playiong around with adding solid eliptical layers then using subtract to get that "cinema effect" where its blacked out in the corners. Then added an adjustment layer on top for color correction, mainly for hue/saturation. I have lowered the Hue to -50 in this video. The one thing I've learnt since doing this video is that slowing down footage recorded at 1920x1080 @ 30fps is rubbish. I've since lowered the resolution to 1280x720, but shooting at 60fps, which, when thrown through after effects, and you've split the clip and applied TimeWarp to the portion you want slowed, that it becomes much more clearer, and less jumpy. Gives that true "Slow Motion" effect. In the below video, I think I buggered up when rendering, as I applied the adjustment layer at a smaller resolution, giving me that line at the bottom of the film that appears "unedited". Lesson learnt. :) I also think that the oval effect comes out too strong in this video. It doesn't "blend" into the footage, and its very clear that its a layer thats been added on, so I need to have a play around and figure out how to blend the oval a bit better, in conjunction with the other correction layers.

http://vimeo.com/60365702

Pezhead - Awesome rig mate. Did you buy one of those generic eBay kits then just build up from that? Thats a pretty sweet follow focus setup you have there. I have been looking at this kit on eBay, but it doesn't appear to have the over-the-shoulder counter weight. I'm sure being a 15mm setup, that you could add it on later.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190741604559?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_6086wt_1163

The other thing i've been doing a bit of research on is this new CamRanger item. It basically links into the 7D, and provides a wifi hotspot, which you then download an app on your iPad, and hook into the CamRanger peripheral It supports live view when shooting film, and I think adding this onto the rig, and knocking up an iPad support bracket will tremendously increase the quality of the footage, especially since its live, you can adjust focus by just touching the screen where you want the main focus point to be. Used in conjunction with the follow focus you've got above, it will be MUCH easier to get the right footage, the first time.

http://www.camranger.com/

Thoughts? Its a $300 bit of kit, so certainly not cheap, but I can't find any other items/connections out there that do similar. Also keen to work with others on here. Any feedback is good feedback! Even if its how to improve. Without being told we're doing something wrong, we can never learn properly!

Cheers,

Shazza

Edited by XS80ST