SAU Community

"dimple" Neodymium Magnetic Sump Plug Group Buy!

PM-R33

Hey guys

Given that the AUS dollar is doing so well against the US dollar I want to do a group buy on the Dimple magnetic sump plugs to bring costs down to a reasonable amount.

technical.jpg

Now for some the brand Dimple will need little introduction but for the most of you, you have probably never heard of the brand; but you have all most likely heard of magnetic sump plugs. I have always wanted to get a magnetic sump plug due to how "cheap" most of them were and I usually spend around $100 a service with Motul oil, filters, plugs etc, and figured what the hell, why not. It wasn't until I started doing a bit of research (like I always do prior to buying something new :P ) that I realised why most were so cheap and made in China...

Why would I need a magnet in my oil you may ask...

Every time you run your engine, it becomes more and more contaminated with many thousands of tiny nano particles of harmful ferrous metal. These metal particles are so small that they cannot be seen by the human eye. They are mainly caused by friction and lots of it. For example an engine travelling at merely 2000 rpm sends the pistons up and down 33 times per second.

The human eye can only see a particle 40 microns or larger. The oil filter can only realistically filter out particles larger than 35 microns. The particles we are looking to catch with powerful oil filter magnets are about 35 microns or less in diameter, the smaller the particles the more harmful to the engine because they travel everywhere under oil pressure, and act exactly like a fine lapping compound, continuously polishing down all surfaces.

I have supplied a lot of information down the bottom including technical information and videos on the Dimple magnets due to their being quite a lot to learn. Feel free to have a read to get a good understanding. I'm trying to keep this post easy to read and short but it is quite hard given the amount of information I want to put out. I actually came across this brand while researching the cheap magnetic sump plugs you buy and found a lot of good information on how crap they were and in some cases very dangerous doing a lot of harm! The Dimple brand was mentioned very positively on a lot of the US/Euro BMW forums and on nearly every motorbike forum. Nearly all agreed, once the information was laid out, that the cheap ones you generally buy were pretty useless but the proper expensive ones made by a few companies were definetely the go.

So first lets start on the cheap ones you get and why they are cheap.

First of all most use normal magnets that you get in day to day life. This is because strong magnets are expensive (just like expensive car speakers use expensive magnets). These pretty much do nothing. Their magnetic strength is so low they can not pull small metals from the oil when the engine is running. Some slightly more expensive ones will claim they use Neodymium magnets (in some cases they are lying) however these are still cheap neodymium magnets that once they get a bit of temperature in them (around 79 degrees celcius) they loose their magnetic power and once again do nothing. The main problem with this is while the oil is cold, the magnet might be doing its job and start collecting swarf onto it self pulling it all together into one clump. Then as soon as it heats up it looses the magnetic power and lets the clump go. Now you have a nice chunk of swarf..

Now for some more dangers. Nearly all cheap ones use an alloy bolt to attach the magnet into. The cheapest way to do this is to press the magnet into the bolt. It is very possible for the magnet to work its way out of the bolt under high heat and pressure (like giving your car a good thrashing at the track) and get into your engine!

So you can easily see, excuse my french, that most cheap ones are shit. They are made in China on a budget for large profits just like everything else and the comapnies aren't really that determined on making a product to do its job properly. (If you look on Ebay you will see nearly the exact same type all from Hong Kong and being sold in Australia)

So onto the Dimple brand

These are made in the United States for the sole purpose of being the best magnetic sump plugs you can buy and to catch every single loose bit of metal in your oil.

The Dimple super drain plugs are the strongest high temperature magnetised drain plugs available, period. Dimple products use extreme magnetism to rip the metal particles out of your oil. Dimple magnets are made under contract to insure that they are always the strongest high temperature grade neodymium magnets in the world.

The Dimple magnets are created to keep magnetism in excess of 180 degrees celcius.

Dimple magnets are some of the only ones recommended by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

For some one that is planning on building a new engine or has a new engine these really are a must! But for anyone like myself that just cares about their cars well being and wants their expensive oils to be doing their job and to be as clean as possible with all the help you can give them, than why not? It really aint that much money considering how much they are doing for the life of the vehicle.

Now for the group buy!

We are getting Dimples brand new SS design which has only just come out this week for our thread M12 x 1.25. These use a brand new metal to metal seal with on o-ring for a gauranteed leak proof seal with no gasket (washer) required for the life of the bolt. They are temperature and vibration proof and will reseal perfectly every time. Therefore you buy one now and you never need to buy another one ever again.

338_IMG_1432.JPG

These are going for around RRP$50-$60 delivered from the US or the UK.

If we can get 20 people involved the price will be around $35 delivered Australia wide or if we get closer to 30 people around $30. I will give an exact price in a few days time once I get the freight qoute from the US.

I will keep the group buy open until the 8/11/10 to get the numbers but may change the date dependent on how things go. I will than require payment within one week from the group buy closing and will transfer the money to the US.

Here's some good info on these sites:

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/magneticdrainplugshome.html

http://www.magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk/index.html

These are by Stewart Sanderson who is a known and respected automotive motorsports technical author for many European automotive magazines

And this one by Chris Waddell, one of the best Harley Davidson tuners in the USA.

Here's a third party lab report comparing a factory Harley Davidson magnetic sump plug to a Dimple one. (The Dimple one was 1,435 times stronger!)

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/images/CRT...mple_report.pdf

Thanks guys

If you have any questions feel free to ask :P

Phil

BUY LIST

1. PMR33

2. …………

3. …………

4. …………

5. …………

6. …………

7. …………

8. …………

9. …………

10. …………

11. …………

12. …………

13. …………

14. …………

15. …………

16. …………

17. …………

18. …………

19. …………

20. …………

Edited by PM-R33

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going good so far! Might get to 30 afterall :)

BUY LIST

1. PMR33

2. 75COUPE

3. BASTI

4. MOODLES2

5. 33DRIVER

6. 89CAL

7. DARK-KNIGHT

8. PWND

9. R32MAN09

10. LUKAS 33

11. …………

12. …………

13. …………

14. …………

15. …………

16. …………

17. …………

18. …………

19. …………

20. …………

Edited by PM-R33

I don't think 30 is going to be a problem! I'll speak to some more of my mates today because i'm sure they will be keen aswell.

If any one knows the diff and gearbox bolt sizes post it up. I can't seem to find the bloody info anywhere.

BUY LIST

1. PMR33

2. 75COUPE

3. BASTI

4. MOODLES2

5. 33DRIVER

6. 89CAL

7. DARK-KNIGHT

8. PWND

9. R32MAN09

10. LUKAS 33

11. CHRIS32R

12. GIMPS-R34

13. FINELINE

14. N1GTR

15. SKINS

16. THENIG

17. …………

18. …………

19. …………

20. …………

Have you got any more information form the supplier in testing in an actual engine? I wouldn't mind seeing it pull the particles of Iron in a normal running engine. If it does what they say in an actual engine, then I would be interested and would probably take a few off your hands.

The guy in the harley vid has massive particles of metal in that container. If you have that kind of material in your sump then you have more issues to worry about. The second vid shows a 'mock' sump with, once again, large particles of metal being poured in.

In the lab tests we have done on engine oil from Gervase's race car and Noel's race car we generall see 15-20 ppm (parts per million) of iron, which is basically the only magnetic material it will have during wear.

Considering oil is designed to suspend these particles I would be interested to see if it can pull these microscopic particles from the suspension of the oil. Do they have any videos of that?

I can ask. The guy that makes them in the US is very nice to talk to so i'll see what he says :)

But you are exactly right, they are made to pull the particles smaller than 35ppm that an oil filter can not stop. If an oil filter could filter out particles that small, no oil would be able to flow through the filter.

Edited by PM-R33