SAU Community

Audio Install, Now Have No Light To Cluster.

SHROOMZone

Howdy guys,

did a search, couldnt find nada.

Installed a Cd player today, wired it correctly "or so I beleive, as it works but has no memory, every time I restart the car I have to re set the bass etc"

but now I have no lights in my cluster?

Any ideas on what has happened or where I went wrong?

the car is an R33

thanks in advance lads.

i'm no expert, but my instinct says you f**ked up and to check your fuses.

Did you follow the diagram with the cd player and correspond it correctly to the r33 wires?

I knew nothing about systems when I did mine and mine turned out fine, but it was years ago. Maybe post up some photos, someone might find what you did wrong with your wireing.

Sounds like you wired the battery that has a constant power supply of power to keep memory when you turn the car off and the main power of the cd player with the accesories wrong for starters. Do you get what I mean?

you did it wrong, I'd say..lol

blown fuse ???

you don't have a constant power wire to keep memory on the radio ? which is why you have to reset every time you shut off the power

and more then likely used a instrument lighting wire for the ground, they will show ground until you flick on the power to the lights.?

you might want to have a pro do it if you stuffed it already once. warranty doesn't include fried from being hooked up wrong ?????

and airbags in the face or dead ECU is a expensive mistake ??

Ive installed many head units before but the guy that I bought the car off has replaced all the wiring so none of the colours synched up with the R33 diagrams. I checked fuses last night, and replaced the blown ones, made no differance.

I took power from the ciggy lighter, could this be causing it to play up?

Okay, Latest update,

The instrument cluster lighting worked up until I connected the power and accessories wire, so I detached both wires and checked, same thing... lights didnt come on, Checked all the fuses in the driver side footwell and none were blown.

any ideas if there is a cluster lighting fuse? all the indicator's hazzards etc work and light up, just not the LED's :S, it has me stumped!

cluster (LED's ?) or globes, did you put in LED's ??? at the same time

LED's can only work one direction, hence the name light emitting" DIODE"

globes on the other hand , should work , if you get no dash lights, you don't have a dimmer hidden anywhere ???? some cars have them fitted aftermarket

if they didn't come with one

otherwise no fuse damage, most likely means a burned trace on your circuit board behind the gauges. without doing some testing I would say you put 12volts to ground and the current fried the board trace. acting like a fuse. but without seeing it first hand I would

STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR , HAND THE KEYS TO A PRO to sort out, and don't attempt further repairs

sorry ....sounds harsh. but then so is a car fire

Ive installed many head units before but the guy that I bought the car off has replaced all the wiring so none of the colours synched up with the R33 diagrams. I checked fuses last night, and replaced the blown ones, made no differance.

doubt anyone would change the harness colours , unless they had lots of spare time.

*laughs manically

I changed all the audio cables in my Hyundai excel.. shiftiest wiring ever buwhaha, BL to the next owner, sounds good though.

any ideas if there is a cluster lighting fuse? all the indicator's hazzards etc work and light up, just not the LED's :S, it has me stumped!

Have you checked that everythings plugged in right, that you've got all negs to negs, positives to positives and grounds to the body?

most cars should have their parkers wired the same. turn your lights on and then go outside to check the parkers work out front. but as most have said and will say, apples aren't apples and people really should be taking their cars to a pro when they have that half second thought of 'maybe this is out of my league'. bit like chicks, you don't approach all cause 'shes out of your league' :blink:

First of all i would say the stereo is all wired up totally wrong as mentioned before.

I would recommend disconnecting the stereo first like remove the stereo loom too and see if the cluster comes back on, if not check all fuses ones in the boot and ones above the knee in the cabin,boot and bonnet

to conect the stereo properly you need a multimeter to check the voltages on the wire before you connect them you need 12v constant, thus your 12v you get on the multimeter even when the ignition is off. and a 12v ACC on thus 12v with ignition on. And hook up the ground.If you can not get them polarities that means you definatly need a pro do it for you because hooking up wires from your cigi lighter is a fire hazard mite burn the car,coz you mite overload the wire and it will heat up and start a fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a week work experience as an auto electrician and what i can remember is that one of the cars had same problem and all it was, was that they gounded it using a backlight - some headecks have accesory lights so when u turn headlights on it lights up headeck. im assuming that you might have done this with one wire.

Howdy guys,

did a search, couldnt find nada.

Installed a Cd player today, wired it correctly "or so I beleive, as it works but has no memory, every time I restart the car I have to re set the bass etc"

but now I have no lights in my cluster?

Any ideas on what has happened or where I went wrong?

the car is an R33

thanks in advance lads.

mate id take a good look at where you took your power from!

• 1 month later...

The lights behind the dash cluster are on the same fuse as the tail lights, which is in the fuse box in the boot.

But unplug the stereo first so that you don't blow the fuse again straight away and then work out what you wired up wrong.

the dash light dimmer switch that was installed on mine sits just under the head unit. if either of the wires were disconnected it would probably cause problems similar to yours. might be worth checking it wasn't disconnected or hijacked during the install.