SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

You keep your existing turbine housing but its a new CHRA.

The compressor is different and uses a different housing to suit, yet the turbine can use the exiting 75 housings despite being different.

My take on it is you can buy both the front and rear wheels along with a compressor housing and put it all together yourself.

Righto cool, thanks for clearing that up

I could keep my turbine housing but I would need to swap out the compressor to match up with the new wheel design?

you could keep your turbine housing. You would need to swap out a "Supercore" which means everything except the turbine housing. Once you had this supercore, then you could swap back and forth turbine wheels with your existing turbo.

So the compressor housing can't be swapped because the inducer size of the wheel is bigger... Yes.??

that is correct. the compressor housing can not be swapped because the inducer size and the blade aero shape are different. Also - the bearing housing is needing to be swapped due to the 0.4mm difference in OD at the back-disc wall. For this reason, purchasing a complete turbo or a supercore would make the most sense.

You keep your existing turbine housing but its a new CHRA.

The compressor is different and uses a different housing to suit, yet the turbine can use the exiting 75 housings despite being different. My take on it is you can buy both the front and rear wheels along with a compressor housing and put it all together yourself.

close... everything you said is correct except the last part

close... everything you said is correct except the last part

Please clear it up if you could, as my understanding was formed on your comment about put a spanner on it and thats it. As you said all parts are balanced individually

Shoulda waited that little bit longer and got myself one of these baby's...

seem to be so cheap for what they are..

Everything is good in hindsight mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a thread dig.

any word on the street about the reliability issues being resolved yet.

And Im looking at the EFR7064, but is it possible to be had in an open T4 turbine hosuing, Im looking at using a cast manifold that has an open T4 flange

like this

TMTY03.jpg

ufortunately there is no way of welding a divider into the collector :(

No T4 opens AFAIK Zeeb and I have been doing a little revision on these lately, but PT and Garrett would have you sorted (can get T4 open prints from GCG for the GT30-35 range).

;)

Yes....

...but

Will it choke a 3L at 7000rpm?

Will have to attempt to find some results, but I doubt I will find anything for either the 7064 or the 5557 on anything bigger than an SR/4G/EJ etc

edit...Found a guy with twin 5557s going onto a 3.4L JZ :blink:

1 car 27 differnt plans for it lol

-5s = too much $$$ to rebuild + flucking about making oil waters lines fit :(

Im going to have to buy another Supra.....1 to put the auto + big bloody turbo in, and the other for a 5 speed and small turbo :(

anyone have a JZA70 they want to donate? haha

I am daily driving my Evo at 28psi, beating the snot out of it 4x daily. The EFR 8374 internal-WG twinscroll turbo has not skipped a beat

Also my RB26 nissan is ready to race, with EFR 8374 1.05 and external WGs i am dynoing thursday and racing saturday. 529368_10150632701911129_575236128_9575004_1038506751_n.jpg

turbokit:

421741_10150596041996129_733274978_n.jpg

wish me luck!!

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

Geoff - I thought for some reason you were going 7670 on the EVO?

What fuel, boost etc are you going to push the S14 to? Very keen to hear how that goes, good luck sir... it'd be nice to finally start hearing nothing but good results from these things.

DO show the dyno sheet please also any of the smaller EFR jobbies on a 3L (2J etc)

no problem, ill post it up. im using a stock bottom end r33 rb26 with jun oil pump and uprated rod bolts. ported head with stock size ferrea valves and tomei 280 cams, magnaflow 4" catalytic converter not gutted, Full-Race manifold recirc'd external wastegates and efr 8374, twinscroll 1.05, E85 from a local taxi station. im going to test it without catalytic converter to know the difference, its nice to not smell exhaust fumes! Also there is a 7670 1.05 on stock 2jz dyno chart ill post up

Geoff - I thought for some reason you were going 7670 on the EVO? What fuel, boost etc are you going to push the S14 to? Very keen to hear how that goes, good luck sir... it'd be nice to finally start hearing nothing but good results from these things.

i initially had a 7670 external wastegate going on my evo, but at the last minute a friend "leetevo" from evom needed it to make a race. i was able to get an 8374 internal wastegate turbo instead which worked out great because Im testing out our new internal wastegate AC compatible evo turbokit myself, daily, im stoked :) The 4G63 is a great engine.. and the car turns so quickly its remarkable, great street/track car, but to me the RB26 is something else and exhaust note is intoxicating. i find myself wanting to only build RB26s there is no other engine/driveline im as passionate about. it weighs a ton. its hard on front tires. difficult to get parts for. some people tell me the platform is weak... it cant change direction like a miata i really dont give a damn she runs hard!! super excited to be racing against a tweaked R32 gtr, apparently the guy expects to win the race this weekend.

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

Speaking of twin scroll EFRs on 2JZs, heres an interesting dyno comparison - twin scroll EFR8374 maxed out on E85 on a Supra, compared with a PT6266BB (single scroll) doing the same:

6266vsEFR.jpg

Tuner says intake air temps and exhaust manifold pressure were lower on the Precision turbo.