SAU Community

This Is The New Recipe Chat Thread...

Houdini

appealing - no point saying the bigger highflow wasnt any good when compared to the smaller rebuilt turbo - you never pushed it anywhere near hard enough nor did you bother with a tune.

you have DOWNGRADED not upgraded. large turbo and stock pressure; no wonder you wern't happy. shit performance, throw in a $30 bleed valve, up the boost, tune and you'd be amazed!

rb25's deserve decent GT30's for making power, anything smaller and you are simply pissing against the wind; waste of time & money when compared to a decent sized turbo.

2 stagea owners now have said large highflows didnt work for them, however both owners only had stock boost / stock tune. gt30-based highflow is where it's at.

Ive had 3 types (garret gt3076 now, slide highflowed stock before, and stock as standard) and while the slightly larger than stock highlfow turbo was zippy it has absolutely nothing on it compared to a 3076.

a zippy turbo and a Power-making turbo = 2 very different things.

Well the rebuilt turbo is starting to spool at 1800 rpm, it is at full boost at about 3000rpm. It is now set at 10psi, which is not only safe for the turbo, but is where the air starts getting too hot, so no point in any higher boost. As I am not interested in chasing max power and doing intercooler and all the the other mods that I would have to, I am very happy as it is. The car with the old engine was making 162kw ATW, now 194kw, (same 4WD Dynopak dyno). The Nistune is a bit of a disappointment, in that it will not control boost. It did allow us to change the A/F ratios though, and some timing etc. It leaves all the negative timing at around 6000 rpm, (and Nistune say they didn't know what this was for), which seems to be where the car always backfires on gear change.

This small upgrade, has made this a far more tractable car, without all the expense. As for it running a stock tune, like I said this makes no difference IF the turbo can't produce power boost anyway. Actually after looking at the dyno sheets the Hi-flow wasn't on max until 4000 rpm! It was bloody awful!

Dyno sheets coming soon, (I forgot them). Then down to the drag track to see how this relates into a 1/4 mile.

The split dump was a waste of time IMO, the back pressure was only 2psi @ 4700rpm. About the same as a good fart!

the drop in timing at 6000-6500rpm is only on the gear timing map for the auto. that map is not accessed during normal driving, only when the auto is shifting. the way i see it, killing the timing during a full load gear change acts like a soft cut and is a bit more friendly on the auto. i don't know what you were expecting from nistune but for a $400 ecu setup it rivals ecu's in the $1k-$2k price range, its not until you start shelling out $2k and more you start seeing dedicated boost control features in ecu's anyway.

appealing - no point saying the bigger highflow wasnt any good when compared to the smaller rebuilt turbo - you never pushed it anywhere near hard enough nor did you bother with a tune.

you have DOWNGRADED not upgraded. large turbo and stock pressure; no wonder you wern't happy. shit performance, throw in a $30 bleed valve, up the boost, tune and you'd be amazed!

rb25's deserve decent GT30's for making power, anything smaller and you are simply pissing against the wind; waste of time & money when compared to a decent sized turbo.

2 stagea owners now have said large highflows didnt work for them, however both owners only had stock boost / stock tune. gt30-based highflow is where it's at.

Ive had 3 types (garret gt3076 now, slide highflowed stock before, and stock as standard) and while the slightly larger than stock highlfow turbo was zippy it has absolutely nothing on it compared to a 3076.

a zippy turbo and a Power-making turbo = 2 very different things.

Tangles, how does a gt3076 compare to a GCG highflowed rb25 turbo (pre neo)?

I just transfered mine from my rb20 (written off) to my new s2 Stagea manual with nistune, a gizzmo EBC and im loving it. Almost 1 bar, pulled fuel out and added some timing and its screaming. Intercooler and injectors are next but im curious as to the difference between the 2 turbos.

Edited by kjb_r33

No Brendan I don't think I would be amazed. The hi-flow I had was taken from a drift car, the builder swore that it made full boost on an RB20 @ 3200. It was only starting to make boost at over 3000 on my car. You can't tune any turbo more than a couple of hundred RPM down the rev range. AND YOU CAN'T UP THE BOOST IF THERE ISN'T ANY!!

If I wanted to break the speed limit every time I drove it would be great... but seeing as I was doing over 80kph before it was really boosting, it is all pointless to me. I like my license just as it is.

In a 1675kg Automatic, I want as much low down power as I can get. I know that the car is lot faster with the std ceramic turbo, tune and 10psi. All I would have got from the other turbo is more power higher in rev range, exactly where I don't want it.

I didn't want to go for all out power, (like I said) and am happy with the 194kw.

I am the type of guy that believes that Nissan spent more on this car than any of us will see in a lifetime. I really haven't seen anyone improve on it that much yet.

Oh yeah I seen fast ones that had a fortune spent on them, but is it really an improvement? Not in my eyes. Most people are really just trying to make them something that they are not.

The Stagea to me is a great family wagon, that has great overtaking power, and is fun to boot at times. It isn't a race car, and never will be.

If I wanted to get real power (and speed) out of a car, I wouldn't choose a Stagea, they are just way too big & heavy.

I also didn't know what to expect from the Nistune, but I had been led to believe that boost adjustment was possible. It isn't on the Neo engine. They say they haven't worked it out yet..... and no thanks I don't want to start shelling out $1,000's.

Sounds like you went too big on the turbine side, I kept my highflow fairly small for that reason. If the drift car had a decent ex manifold it could bring it on much earlier.

A highflow will never work well much over stock size due to the housing becoming mismatched. Im sure a "real" gt3076 would be similar in response but even then, unless you are chasing well over 300awkw they seem pretty pointless also.

Something like a gtrs/2835 would be a better match to a 2.5 engine, and will still flow nearly 300 on ethanol when you change, much more than you seriously need from a street car even if they are heavy slugs. :P

OK lets clear up a few fallacies here..

The stock dump pipe and front pipe are shit. Changing them to better items is the FIRST thing you do, even before contemplating putting a bigger turbo on. They make a huge difference on a stock turbo, why you would ever considering running stock dump/front with a BIGGER turbo is beyond me.

Bigger turbos NEED to be tuned for them or they just feel shit and is absolutely pointless.

Full boost is a subjective term. Full boost for one person is different for full boost for another person.

When you put a bigger turbo on, you HAVE to tune it, in particular you need to clean up the low load/rpm areas as they are no longer seeing the same airflow as with the stock turbo. Cleaning up this area helps get the engine on boost faster, leaner ratios mean hotter exhaust gas means more exhaust gas flow equals faster spooling turbine. It's not rocket doctory.

Some adjustable cam gears wouldn't have gone astray either.

Bigger turbos need to operate at higher boost pressures, 7psi through a big highflow would not be getting anywhere near its' efficiency range.

NIStune is an excellent engine management option, anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or trying to sell you something more expensive.

At the end of the day John, you had a completely shit setup. We tried to explain to you what to do (and it wasn't expensive) to correct the situation but you refused to listen. This is the last time I'm going to mention anything on the subject as I'm sick of just wasting my time and effort for someone that refuses to see reason.

If you'e not going to use that split dump pipe then I'll have it back thanks, better and more appreciative places it can be used.

OK lets clear up a few fallacies here..

The stock dump pipe and front pipe are shit. Changing them to better items is the FIRST thing you do, even before contemplating putting a bigger turbo on. They make a huge difference on a stock turbo, why you would ever considering running stock dump/front with a BIGGER turbo is beyond me.

Bigger turbos NEED to be tuned for them or they just feel shit and is absolutely pointless.

Full boost is a subjective term. Full boost for one person is different for full boost for another person.

When you put a bigger turbo on, you HAVE to tune it, in particular you need to clean up the low load/rpm areas as they are no longer seeing the same airflow as with the stock turbo. Cleaning up this area helps get the engine on boost faster, leaner ratios mean hotter exhaust gas means more exhaust gas flow equals faster spooling turbine. It's not rocket doctory.

Some adjustable cam gears wouldn't have gone astray either.

Bigger turbos need to operate at higher boost pressures, 7psi through a big highflow would not be getting anywhere near its' efficiency range.

NIStune is an excellent engine management option, anyone who says otherwise is either stupid or trying to sell you something more expensive.

At the end of the day John, you had a completely shit setup. We tried to explain to you what to do (and it wasn't expensive) to correct the situation but you refused to listen. This is the last time I'm going to mention anything on the subject as I'm sick of just wasting my time and effort for someone that refuses to see reason.

If you'e not going to use that split dump pipe then I'll have it back thanks, better and more appreciative places it can be used.

I agree the front dump will restrict a turbo that is making boost, this hi-flow wasn't.

So to blame something that restricted flow by 2psi even when it was making boost is just looking in the wrong direction.

I understand that the hi-flow wasn't making the boost that it could have. But it didn't even make 7psi until it was way up in the revs.

Seeing as I had already paid to have it fitted, and had to pay again to have it removed, I decided that I didn't want to go that way. To get the most out of that would have meant a FMIC, dump pipe, intake, probably AFM, Fuel injectors etc etc. Over 200kw would have been a nice figure, but 194 will do me.

The re-built turbo is actually better than the original. It is slightly different in that the spooling comes on earlier, and it whines slightly louder, which means that the design must be slightly different.

The most important thing here, is that I DON'T WANT a monster turbo or high power figures at the expense of the nice driving characteristics of the car. Sure a bit more acceleration is nice. I have that with the re-built ceramic. To say that the tune was "shit" shows that you don't know what you are talking about. I was amazed how nice and quick it was even before it was tuned. To be honest, the tuning made very little difference low down. But has added a few more kw up higher.

I know that to get the most out of the hi-flow would have cost $1,000's. I don't have the time to work on the car myself. It doesn't mean that I don't have the knowledge though. Frankly I wouldn't want to do all the work anyway.

I bought the car for many reasons. One of them being that all around I don't think that there is anything better, but to me it's an all-round package. I don't really want the car anything other than tweaked standard form.

But that's the great thing, we can all be individual. You do what you want and I'll do what I want. It shouldn't mean that we can't admire and understand another's perspective.

Oh yes I did listen to you. But don't get upset just because i chose to do it another way.

I did this to suit me, not to suit others. I don't expect them to do what I like.

I still think that many people try to make the Stagea into something it wasn't designed to be.

Really if I was chasing a faster Stagea, I would have bought an Autech version.

Oh yes I did listen to you. But don't get upset just because i chose to do it another way.

I did this to suit me, not to suit others. I don't expect them to do what I like.

I'm not getting upset John, I'm just fed up with trying to help. You may have listened but you didn't take anything I said on board.

I'm done, seriously can't be bothered wasting my time with this anymore.

P.S. Tim.. are you trying to get in my pants? :rolleyes:

Edited by bubba

Wow

awesome read,I must have missed something

well I bought a flywheel today,and am ordering my clutch line tomorrow,if anyone cares...

And my big blue dildo finally Arrived

ps-is it worth chucking in a short shifter while I'm at it?

Been offered one fairly cheap,and would they all be the same across the rb gearbox range?

I'm using an r32gtr box

ta

What... Me?... Never... :rolleyes:

Okay, time to put my 2.2 New Zealand cents in...

Not many individuals go from a highflow turbo back to a stock turbo and say they prefer it, so this is quite foreign to most and probably the cause of much angst.

Saying you didn't even make 7psi until high up in the rev-range is saying that the setup you had was not ideal, whether it be your tune, boost controller gain etc...

I could go on, but I'm sure it'll just be echoing what others have already said :)

Got a pressie from just jap this morning POW! probably only get the front in today wait to see how i go

mate they're piss easy to put in, took me less than 2 hours and that was including lunch.

the only thing id say is depending on how far u lower it, you might need to get spacers or

something because the shocks are much wider than the standard ones and because of

the camber i actually had the inside of my rim hitting agaisnt them on the back...

but in saying that i guess it does depend on how low u go and what wheels n stuff like

that you have...

Wow

awesome read,I must have missed something

well I bought a flywheel today,and am ordering my clutch line tomorrow,if anyone cares...

And my big blue dildo finally Arrived

ps-is it worth chucking in a short shifter while I'm at it?

Been offered one fairly cheap,and would they all be the same across the rb gearbox range?

I'm using an r32gtr box

ta

i've got a short shifter in mine, its pretty good, nice snappy throw but you need to use more force obviously

5th can be a bit stiff but i put a new knob on it which sits a little taller and makes it just right

you might as well do it

/\/\/\ thanks for the help mate, i'v only got R32 gtst wheels atm so these cheese cutters shouldn't be a broblem haha. I am still waiting for my rose joint dust boots for my rear camber and toe arms so i was gonna hold off putting them in till they turn up what you reakon?

I still think that many people try to make the Stagea into something it wasn't designed to be.

Really if I was chasing a faster Stagea, I would have bought an Autech version.

i thought trying to make something that something is not, is the whole aim with modifying cars?

i've got a short shifter in mine, its pretty good, nice snappy throw but you need to use more force obviously

5th can be a bit stiff but i put a new knob on it which sits a little taller and makes it just right

you might as well do it

I've got a C's short shifter in my 32 and I love it.

RB20, RB25 and GTR are all different although you can fit a 25 shifter to a 20 box but pretty certain GTR won't fit the others.

/\/\/\ thanks for the help mate, i'v only got R32 gtst wheels atm so these cheese cutters shouldn't be a broblem haha. I am still waiting for my rose joint dust boots for my rear camber and toe arms so i was gonna hold off putting them in till they turn up what you reakon?

ive ended up having to get rear camber arms, havent put em in though yet but i do have 5mm spacers which

is keeping it kinda under control for the moment, but yeh id maybe wait for the arms to come first...you could

always raise it up though if it was hitting...