SAU Community

Looking For A Few Cars

Risking

If the mods etc want to move this feel free, thought it was suitable for in here.

Alot of people know ive been doing cages etc for a fair while now. Recently Ive bought a new automated mandrel bender. Allowing me to replicate bends to within .05deg also multiple bends and set distances to the same tolerance.

So Ive been collecting cars and making CAD files for popular models to reproduce hoops and front legs which are the only real difficult part to get right.

Im no longer guessing if the pre bent hoops will fit, they are all identical to the first one I bend up. Also saves time if im doing to install as I have everything pre bent before the car even turns up.

Now Ive recently done and have drawings for

S13- full cage weld in

S15- half cage weld in

R32- Full cage weld in

R32- Half cage weld in

R33- Full cage weld in

R31- half cage weld in

R31- Full cage weld in

MY09 wrx- Full cage weld in

GTiR- Full cage weld in

S7 RX7- Full cage weld in

Im now looking to fill the gaps of models I dont have drawings for. Its getting expensive to buy and sell the cars I want.

Predominantly R34 (I have an R34 GTR I can use but dont want to strip it), S14, and bolt in versions for everything (bolt in cages are bent different to weld in)

What im after is people who are wanting a cage that I can work with and offer a very healthy discount to for the first one which will allow me to expand the model range I have.

I want to do bolt in jobs for S13, R32, R33 and possibly R34 as well as weld in halves for the ones I dont have (I bend half cages slightly different to full cages due to the restrictions of fitting side intrustions, particularly S13/R33)

Ive done pretty much everything I need in the past but never kept records it was all one off hoops etc. Now I have the facilities to replicate accuratly I need the information again.

The car must be in sydney and available for a few days, Normal fabrication time really. Like i said ill be doing them pretty cheap just so I can get the info I need. Pricing will be discussed if serious people come forward.

Currently bolt in and weld in "kits" are actually fairly expensive for the fit quality and ammount of material you get. Ive secured 50k worth of material which is +350Mpa and of the best quality from a japanese mill. What ive got is approx 3 times the amount I could have purchased from any of the big local suppliers for the same money at "wholesale" rates( I buy 3 packs at a time which are 61 7.3m lengths). So the kits im putting together will come in cheaper, fit nicely, be consistant in dimensions and of the same if not better material quality.

If people dont come forward, in time ill fill the gaps anyways but would rather the cheaper cages go to those that are saving like mad and appreciate the job they are getting.

Im also open to other popular models which would be worth doing. Im not interested in doing this for less popular cars which I won't sell many of latter.

Edited by Risking

Can you post up a quick sketch of the cage you are proposing for an R32. I am not 100% happy with mine but my requirements may not fit with the cage you are looking to construct. I do want to retain bolt in. My car will be in Sydney over Xmas, or can get it up there at your convenience.

he cage I am looking for isnt too hard core with diagonals that restrict access to the rear seat, which i need to retain some access to for packing up tools, bags and wheels between it and the boot when heading off to a track day

I'm not fussed about the rest of the cage, that can change quickly and easily. It's the hoop fitment I am mainly after, the r32 bolt in hoop I want to do would sit tight in the sill panel to floor pan area and be plated to the sill and the floor with an L shaped plate. Four bolts through floor two into the sill itself.

The rear legs I'd like to either go top of the wheel arch if needed or preferably to the shock tower with a plate welded to the tower and welded in captive nuts for the cage to bolt to.

With an r32 I want to weld the legs to the hoop and any bracing so it's a complete cage ready to slide in with four plates to bolt up.

Have a look in my gallery there is an example in there from an s15.

Xmas works fine mate if the car is up here

What are you not happy with about your current cage out of curiosity??

I'm trying to do bolt ins that will please everyone but it's never going to be possible, I'd be delusional thinking that was ever going to happen. I know what I like in a cage but the more input taken into the first one hopefully the more people will like them.

Put me down for a full bolt in for a R33.

I will send you a PM with details and pictures of some of your cages for components that I would like incorporated into the cage design from ones that you have already built.

How do you get on with side intrusion bars in a R33 when you have a drivers seat (OMP WRC) that comes very close to the door frame? Does it mean making up flat door cards from carbon fibre sheet or cutting some groves in the door cards for the bars to recess into?

No problem Charles.

Intrusions typically require the trim to be cut. Recently I did an s15 with intrusions bent around the door trim at the owners request. It looked neat with the door closed but was not the best way to do it.

I forgot you were looking to do one so let me know when the car is ready and I will put the r33 bolt in aside for your car, will pm you back regarding costs etc.

What are you not happy with about your current cage out of curiosity??

I'm trying to do bolt ins that will please everyone but it's never going to be possible, I'd be delusional thinking that was ever going to happen. I know what I like in a cage but the more input taken into the first one hopefully the more people will like them.

I feel the cage is too close to the seat and doesnt really hug the b-pillar close enough. Maybe I am being too picky for a bolt in....pm me an email address and i will get you some photos

I know what you mean about being too close to the seat and the B pillar thing. Pretty typical of bolt in cages but I want to do something thats much tighter.

I now have a

R32 Rear weld in

R33 full bolt in

Possibly an R32 rear bolt in

A few people have asked for photos of the fit and joints etc. Instead of a heap of PM's ill post up a few photos here.

This is an RB26/S13 thats being built for MRA/Irace next year.

This is the side intrusions fairly basic and a height thats easy to get into

post-20349-1290673413_thumb.jpg

The main hoop to B pillar. As close as possible due to the intrusions, half cages are pushed a further 15mm out into a cavity that would otherwise prevent intrusions being fitted. The whole hoop is sitting low in this photo it actually rests 25-30mm higher closing the gap to the middle section of the B pillar.

post-20349-1290673437_thumb.jpg

Front leg to A pillar, you really wont get a much better fit that this.

post-20349-1290673464_thumb.jpg

The intrusion joint for those wanting to see a bare joint. Intrusions are probably to hardest join to get neat due to the large angle they intersect at.

post-20349-1290673493_thumb.jpg

Main hoop to the roof

post-20349-1290673509_thumb.jpg

Main hoop and front leg to the roof and pillar.

post-20349-1290673544_thumb.jpg

This is the kind of fit I want to be able to reproduce every time without compromise.

This cage is not fully welded yet so excuse the exposed joints in places.

Edited by Risking

Dave if you can put up a stripped car to begin with I'm more than happy to bend and fabricate them. S13's are one model I do heaps of so can look after the cost well and if Dan is also wanting one I'll do a few at once.

I have an s13 at the moment with a full cage so if your free drop around run through what you'd like to do and can go from there

Ive replied to most PM's except gregor, ill send you one shortly in reply.

Roy here is a really crap paint drawing of what im thinking for an R32 GTR bolt in.

Basicly the whole thing would be welded together and knotched joins. No slip together joins anywhere. It will fit into the car with the console etc removed like this.

post-20349-1290756328_thumb.jpg

ActionDan sending you a PM too.

If this goes ahead please put me down for a bolt in half cage, R33 coupe.

Want it to be tidy and require minimal stripping + use of factory bolt locations if possible.

Thanks,

Not a problem I'm keeping a list of interested people and will let them know when I have model specifics for their cars

Roys got the cheap one and looks to be bringing the car up over x mas, I'll get photos of it as it goes together.

In the new year I'll also have ae86 And one way or another an R35 rear half/full kit as well.

As for cost the rear halves will be on par with with currently available cages but be far neater fit and more comprehensive.

Scott at the moment. I'm doing the bolt in cages to suit stripped out rear trims. There is two types of people, those that want a cage to do street duties/ little circuit days and those who want it for circuit work/ little road use.The circuit guys are loosing weight by removing trim too,- which is my main target market so to speak.

I can certainly do a cage to suit your requirements but if you want to keep things like b pillar trims etc I'd need the car.