SAU Community

Initial results / tune - HKS 3040

B-Man

INASNT,

The Garrets are good with high boost.

What every one is getting at is that the HKS turbo's are better.

Generally spooling a little earlier also.

Yep.. .82 a/r for me. :D

For the price difference from a new hks 3040 to a Garrett 3040 and the response/power difference garrett owners still come out on top i recon.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as it comes on hard by 3500rpm i'm not worried what sized exhaust a/r it is.

.82 a/r should do it by 3500rpm on the 3ltr.

EASILY. I think you'll be surprised just how early it comes on with a 3ltr.

and if you DET 3ltr, even more pleasantly surprised.

RB30et's (obviously they have a cam too) are coming in good at 3000rpm with plenty of response. And these guys are running the bigger GT35

Some even less (still with the GT35)... but that's all in the development of motor bits etc

INASNT,

You also have to factor in the price of external gates, manifolds etc.

The HKS3037ProS I am looking at is a T3 with internal gate. I can have one delivered to my door bran new for (last time I checked) $3100. Depending on exchange rate. + a 10mm spacer so the turbo clears the stock manifold.

Now we will get in to the discussion of how you think the stock exhaust manifold is so crap. :D If it turns out to hinder performance in a detrimental way I will go for a low mount manifold.

If it wasn't for the HKS having internal gate I would go a Garret.

I'm able to pick up a new Garret 3030 with a .82 a/r for $2200. + a good manifold ~$800-$1000 + wastegate ~$500-$800.

They work out pretty close to the same.

R31Nismoid,

Sounds good. I hope i'm not dissapointed with the RB30's response. :D

3030?? never heard of one. U wont get much of a manifold for $1000 as i found out after having to spend another $400 to make it half decent.

The fact is that at high hp and boost an internal gate cant bypass enough exhaust gas to stop boost spikes and keep low back pressure.

3030? Either have I.. I stated 3037.

INASNT,

you are correct that at high HP a standard internal gate won't pass enough exhaust gas to stop boost creep. Its got nothing to do with spikes & low back pressure. Its exactly the same as if you were to have an external gate that is too small. Boost would come up to the desired dialed in amount then as rev's raise boost will slowly start to creep over the dialed in amount then all of a sudden boost will increase very quickly and blow something.

HKS design their turbo's internal gate to be able to pass enough exhaust gas. The problem with a T3/4 is that if the wastegate isn't large enough you will get boost creep. Providing it is designed correctly internal gate is just as good as external. The problem is you are limited with the amount of room hence why HKS don't make turbo's with internal gate any larger than the 3037ProS.

3030? Either have I.. I stated 3037.

INASNT,

you are correct that at high HP a standard internal gate won't pass enough exhaust gas to stop boost creep. Its got nothing to do with spikes & low back pressure. Its exactly the same as if you were to have an external gate that is too small. Boost would come up to the desired dialed in amount then as rev's raise boost will slowly start to creep over the dialed in amount then all of a sudden boost will increase very quickly and blow something.

HKS design their turbo's internal gate to be able to pass enough exhaust gas. The problem with a T3/4 is that if the wastegate isn't large enough you will get boost creep. Providing it is designed correctly internal gate is just as good as external. The problem is you are limited with the amount of room hence why HKS don't make turbo's with internal gate any larger than the 3037ProS.

Compares the wastegate openeing on any hks internal gated turbo to an external gate. There is no way he small internal gate openeing will come close to bpassing as much air as an external gate. I have seen a few dvd's with a hks guy showing the difference in the internal gate section of their turbos, and to tell you the truth the 3037 pro s doesent look like it has that greater area for bypass.

INANST,

HKS3037's in twin have made 700rwkw on a GTR in Japland.

Maybe I should word it like this.

The power a 3037ProS is going to make (rated at 480hp), the internal gate design will be sufficient.

RBS13,

My bad. Typo 3040.

We were on the general discussion of 3040's.

INANST,

The power a 3037ProS is going to make (rated at 480hp), the internal gate design will be sufficient.

RBS13,

My bad. Typo 3040.

We were on the general discussion of 3040's.

:D

You may find this table interesting.

INASNT, I think you have to remeber that the more exhaust gas you run through the turbo, the less the wastegate needs to do.

top secret use 2 3037 pro S turbos to produce 700rwkw on an RB26 (or 27, 28?) cant remeber which, but the thing is, they do it with internal gated turbos

grepin has 280odd rwkw with an internal gated hks turbo, an only runs 1.3bar, but can turn the boost down further.

Its worth considering too, that if you can save 500rpm lag, you may pick up alot of RWKW. With my turbo, changing the exhaust brought boost on around 500-800rpm earlier, but I picked up an extra 60rwkw in power as a result - as it was coming onto boost, and around 12 or so up top. I will have to dig up a comparison to post up, I found it interesting anyway.

In total I picked up an extra 32 rwkw average from 100kph to around 160 kph (in 4th gear)- well worth having, when you consider how much those few extra kw cost once you start stretching the limits of the stock turbo,injectors etc. So if you pay an extra $500-$1000 dollars for a turbo that comes on boost 500rpm earlier, perhaps it is worhtwhile - I think so

Its a case of horses for courses I suppose, as long as everyone is happy with what they got, then they did it right, no?

yep fair enough!

I guess i went for external gate coz i saw a few other people going internal gate, then external gated turbo as it didnt perform as well as they hoped. I didint want to go down that path also hence y i went external gate straight away.

• 3 weeks later...

Love your catch can B-man, im looking for one at the moment, where did you score it from? What was the final power figure...stick with the Microtech???

Oh and INASNT, is your car running??? What power?

Guest INASNT
Love your catch can B-man, im looking for one at the moment, where did you score it from? What was the final power figure...stick with the Microtech???

Oh and INASNT, is your car running??? What power?

I got 257kw@wheels at 1 bar (using only wastegate spring)

Getting dynoed again on tuesday with hks evc 3, special cat, new catch can and about 18psi to see what it pulls.