SAU Community

R34 Exhaust - My Experience

thanks mate !!

i'd go magnaflow over lukey, lukey seems to be targetted more at commodores/falcons than imports.

on my old VS calais, it came with a full lukey exhaust (extractors too) had a nice note but was very quiet :S

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I'm not really too sure which muffler, I do want something quiet though

Ill just head down to Mettams Mufflers in morley to see Pat, everyones recommended him, and see what he reckons :)

thanks mate !!

i'd go magnaflow over lukey, lukey seems to be targetted more at commodores/falcons than imports.

on my old VS calais, it came with a full lukey exhaust (extractors too) had a nice note but was very quiet :S

who gives a shit who the target demographic is with mufflers (other than ricers wanting their fully kebab spec canons or drifters with their leet shotguns)? if the muffler does the job well then use it.

wow, someone had a sh*t day !!

down.gif

no didn't have a shit day, just get annoyed by ricers, especially in the NA section (but the NA section is always good for a laugh so i keep coming back)

I contacted Mettam's ...

Lukey is a mild steel exhaust, and is about 130 bucks

Magnaflow is a stainless steel, and costs around 300

*edit* Also, planing to get a high flow cat at the same time ...

Is Metal or Ceramic better and what are the differences? I did a search but couldnt find anything in regards to this

Metal costs about 100 bucks more

Edited by Jonno34

no didn't have a shit day, just get annoyed by ricers, especially in the NA section (but the NA section is always good for a laugh so i keep coming back)

wait so let me get this right.

we're all ricers & you enjoy spending your free time browsing the N/A section to have a laugh?

& considering you have over 31,000 posts, you must do this a lot?

you sir, are a douche.

I contacted Mettam's ...

Lukey is a mild steel exhaust, and is about 130 bucks

Magnaflow is a stainless steel, and costs around 300

*edit* Also, planing to get a high flow cat at the same time ...

Is Metal or Ceramic better and what are the differences? I did a search but couldnt find anything in regards to this

Metal costs about 100 bucks more

that sounds like some pretty decent prices :)

is that for press bends or mandrel bends?

metal cats will usually flow better, can handle higher temperatures & will last longer.

also a lower cell eg. 100 cell.

theres probably more to it than that but that's what i know/have hear haha

Oh, those are just for the muffler on the end, I have a full 2.5" mild steel system mandrel bend :) but the mufflers cracking and things are getting silly loud so needa stick a nice oval on the end :)

I'll prob be going for the lukey in mild steel, since I prefer the quieter and deeper note they give :)

May not bother with the Cat, unlikely to see much gain in performance for 400 bucks .. may spend the money on extractors instead ;)

Oh, those are just for the muffler on the end, I have a full 2.5" mild steel system mandrel bend :) but the mufflers cracking and things are getting silly loud so needa stick a nice oval on the end :)

I'll prob be going for the lukey in mild steel, since I prefer the quieter and deeper note they give :)

May not bother with the Cat, unlikely to see much gain in performance for 400 bucks .. may spend the money on extractors instead ;)

Poor old exhaust :( lol.

Don't underestimate the cat man. Plenty of gain to be had there (though on an NA, 'plenty' should be interpreted differently lol).

its a good system though martin :) Nice sound, not too loud or fartey

really? didnt think the Cat would do much! ... is it worth the 400 bucks? ... Extractors are cheaper and probably gonna give more? Maybe ill do the cat sometime in the future when I have more money ..

and lol yeah n/a power seems rather lacking ... may go for the RB30DE If i get desperate but for now extractors and/or cat will have to do

its a good system though martin :) Nice sound, not too loud or fartey

really? didnt think the Cat would do much! ... is it worth the 400 bucks? ... Extractors are cheaper and probably gonna give more? Maybe ill do the cat sometime in the future when I have more money ..

and lol yeah n/a power seems rather lacking ... may go for the RB30DE If i get desperate but for now extractors and/or cat will have to do

What cat are you looking at? You can get decent cats for less than 400 that will be more than good enough for what you need.

If you're after power... RB30DE would not be my choice. Needs to be forced induction. Power is only a twist of a dial away ;)

Just a metal cat from Mettam's mufflers who will probably be doing the muffler for me as well .. they stock mild steel ones, i contacted Kermit but he only has Stainless Steel ones. Metals from Mettams are 400, ceramics 300 ..

Yeah the RB30DE doesnt put out as much as the turbo .. but it saves me turbo insurance and stuff .. but it needs me to change my engine and all which is a bit of a shame since ive got a low km engine in nearly perfect condition :(

Not really after so much power, as long as its nice and responsive with good torque id be happy enough

Just a metal cat from Mettam's mufflers who will probably be doing the muffler for me as well .. they stock mild steel ones, i contacted Kermit but he only has Stainless Steel ones. Metals from Mettams are 400, ceramics 300 ..

Yeah the RB30DE doesnt put out as much as the turbo .. but it saves me turbo insurance and stuff .. but it needs me to change my engine and all which is a bit of a shame since ive got a low km engine in nearly perfect condition :(

Not really after so much power, as long as its nice and responsive with good torque id be happy enough

Dude, in terms of insurance, my car costs the exact same amount now as it did when it was NA. In fact it's cheaper because of my age. If you go with JustCar, they consider it a modification. It's unlimited free modifications, so you don't pay any extra :thumbsup: And in terms of legalities and getting over the pits... You would have just as much if not more trouble trying to pass the pits with a 30DE than you would with a 25DET Neo.

As for the cat, check out JustJap. I don't trust X-Force, but the Catco ones are apparently very good and RDA approved.

wait so let me get this right.

we're all ricers & you enjoy spending your free time browsing the N/A section to have a laugh?

& considering you have over 31,000 posts, you must do this a lot?

you sir, are a douche.

i never said all NA people were ricers, but there are plenty of them. their posts generally run to the tune of..

"OMG i just a got a fully sick GTR bodykit and 3" exhaust for my NA skyline, and it's totally sick! on the way home i totally laughed at a ricer in a lancer with all the same mods as me but it's a totally different situation because he drivers a base model, non turbo lancer all kitted out and i drive base model, non turbo skyline that is all kitted out......."

i never said all NA people were ricers, but there are plenty of them. their posts generally run to the tune of..

"OMG i just a got a fully sick GTR bodykit and 3" exhaust for my NA skyline, and it's totally sick! on the way home i totally laughed at a ricer in a lancer with all the same mods as me but it's a totally different situation because he drivers a base model, non turbo lancer all kitted out and i drive base model, non turbo skyline that is all kitted out......."

We think too much alike Marc....STOP IT!

I objec...

Oh.

:(

whatt!!! Thats amazing!!

I'm with HBF Will have to call up and have a look if not maybe ill switch to Just Car .. HBF does us a better deal cos our house and all cars are insured with them though.

at the moment for an n/a skyline im paying 700 a year ... was quoted somewhere in the 3000's for a turbo car which is probably more than I make ... wacko.gif

If it doesnt cost me that much to insure it I'll definitely go for the RB25DE+T Conversion since I get to keep my current engine :)

Fwiw i have a canon varex (i actually asked for a oval chamber varex but the exhaust shop got the order wrong - eeh).. and actually really like the sound from it.

On the 33 i had a trust pe-2 (which was rusted out), then a standard x-force 3.5" catback with cannon then i replaced the end cannon with the varex.. it's the quietest out of all 3. It can be a little more quiet i guess but 3.5" piping is not helping.

The quality of the varex is way better than the standard x-force items. I inspected the muffler before and after install and would say the quality is near a brand new kakimoto system of almost 2k (not even catback but y-pipe back) i had on my previous v35.

Was always intrigued by the varex since it first came out so decided to get it over slapping on large oval rear muffler.. i like gadgets lol and helps in my sleeper fetish. Just have to spray it black. Oh and the tip is 3.5" as well, so same size in and out though you can get them with larger tips out than in.

Couple of mates have also commented on how nice my exhaust sounds with one saying it's one of the nicest street rb exhaust he's heard in awhile. It's a very deep (no rasp at all) note... the entire system upto muffler is mild steel and galved (giving a deeper note) then the varex at the back (which actually has a very large body as there's 3 chambers for the gas to pass through in quiet mode).

I'm not saying the varex is the shiznit, just it is nowhere near as bad as some posters in this thread make it to be.