SAU Community

Comprehensive Car Insurance

Hi All,

I recently posted a topic in Classic section http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/351665-classic-car-insurance/ about Classic Car Insurance, as I was looking for an alternative to Shannon's. I found a company Lumley's Special Vehicles they are under written by Wesfarmers.

I'm just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with them, as I can save over $100.00 per year in premium cost with exactly the same benefits I get now with Shannon's.

Thanks, D

Hi All,

I recently posted a topic in Classic section http://www.skylinesa...-car-insurance/ about Classic Car Insurance, as I was looking for an alternative to Shannon's. I found a company Lumley's Special Vehicles they are under written by Wesfarmers.

I'm just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with them, as I can save over $100.00 per year in premium cost with exactly the same benefits I get now with Shannon's.

Thanks, D

I Had a 52-foot cabin cruiser insured with Lumley’s. My boat was well secured in a birth on the mariner when during a storm the yacht in the birth next to mine broke free and smashed into my boat causing it to sink. I had full comprehensive insurance with them at the time of the accident. After i lodged a claim, Lumley’s declined to pay out saying that the accident was caused due to an act of God and that i was not insured against anything God did.

I wrote back to there lovely letter with threats of legal action and i asked them to please provide me with a letter from God stating that he in fact was responsible and that if such a letter was produced from God i would cease all legal action. In the end, Lumley’s were unable to produce such a letter ..... And they paid out the claim in full.

I would be a little careful; sometimes saving a few bucks is false economy... Just like changing the oil in your Car every 5,000ks, full synthetic oil is VERY expensive but its solid insurance!

Currently my GTT Skyline is fully insured with NRMA however it is only insured for market value which means pretty much whatever they see fit to pay out. Last week I also asked for a quote from Shannon’s and for an extra 20 bucks a week I was offered an agreed pay out in the event of disaster.

In light of the QLD floods despite I live in NSW I asked Shannon’s what am I covered for…. And gave examples like lightening strikes, acts of ‘God’, comets, meteorites, floods, floods from under a drain, floods from a river, floods caused by rain, rain fall damage but not flooded etc etc. Shannon’s tell me I am covered for ALL of those things and all the standard things like theft, accident etc except a tsunami! (Odd) I am to recieve a fully included coverage policy to show me everything i am covered for, i dont need the drama again should i ever need to make a claim.

So you need to also consider what it is EXACTLY word for word in writing what you are covered for and to what value.

i had my old 180sx insured with LSV, they were good to deal with, cheaper than most other insurers, but then when i got rid of my 180 and brought a skyline, they told me they werent insuring any more imports (regardless of how long you'd been with them and your history)

unless they've changed their stance..

Awesome reply asking for a letter from God lol.

Big lol @ acts of God...how you can base responsibility on an intangible being is beyond me. Seems even insurance companies will get religious on you if it means getting out of a claim. Might as well attribute it to extra terrestrial behaviour...you would have more of a scientific base anyway.

well said nathanau!

readthe fine print, ask as many questions as you can!

sucks about the boat though!

well i can laugh now about the boat, but back then i was haven freakn kittens (to be polite) ... I just thank God he didnt write that letter lolz :) Insurance companies have LOTS to answer for, so fast to take money but will find ways in the most unreal ways to decline payouts when and if the time comes. :c

Awesome reply asking for a letter from God lol.

Big lol @ acts of God...how you can base responsibility on an intangible being is beyond me. Seems even insurance companies will get religious on you if it means getting out of a claim. Might as well attribute it to extra terrestrial behaviour...you would have more of a scientific base anyway.

HAHAHAHAHA YES!!!! It would be more reasonable to blame Aliens than God Lolzz and now that you have said it, i must ask that if my car is abducted by extra terrestrial life be it in a spaceship from space, a spaceship that physically lands, or if my car is fired on by such beings and destryoed/damaged etc am i covered, its only time before an insurer will blame extra terrestrial involvment so therefore cannot pay out as i am not covered for acts caused by ET!

Hi All,

I recently posted a topic in Classic section http://www.skylinesa...-car-insurance/ about Classic Car Insurance, as I was looking for an alternative to Shannon's. I found a company Lumley's Special Vehicles they are under written by Wesfarmers.

Thanks, D

Just a foot note to be fair to the NRMA they take their 'market value' from Red Book, ( see google) I had a car accident in 2008, when someone hit me who was driving down the exit ramp in the wrong direction as i was exiting the free way, my car was fully insured with NRMA, i only paid 600 dollars for the car ( old subaru) and i didnt care what market value was. The car was a total write off; NRMA paid out $3,600 to me.

Hi All,

Thanks, D

Just a correction to my first post/reply with regard to Shannons, My increase is NOT 20 dollars a week, its 20 a month. And for that i have an agreed pay out value of $22,000 on my Skyline.

... i lodged a claim, Lumley's declined to pay out saying that the accident was caused due to an act of God and that i was not insured against anything God did.

I wrote back to there lovely letter with threats of legal action and i asked them to please provide me with a letter from God stating that he in fact was responsible and that if such a letter was produced from God i would cease all legal action. In the end, Lumley's were unable to produce such a letter ..... And they paid out the claim in full.

Hilarious!

HAHAHAHAHA YES!!!! It would be more reasonable to blame Aliens than God Lolzz and now that you have said it, i must ask that if my car is abducted by extra terrestrial life be it in a spaceship from space, a spaceship that physically lands, or if my car is fired on by such beings and destryoed/damaged etc am i covered, its only time before an insurer will blame extra terrestrial involvment so therefore cannot pay out as i am not covered for acts caused by ET!

It won't be long mate, and watching ET...that little bastard caused an awful lot of damage...not to mention other alien movies. Can you imagine what the insurance bill would have been for Independance Day alone?

I was with LSV for my GTS-R, only reason was Shannons wouldn't touch it given my garage situation at the time.

For the sake of $100, i would stick with Shannons personally, they are well proven, don't fk you around etc.

You'll never hear a Body Shop/Mechanic complain about Shannons & Insurance claims.

You'll never hear a Body Shop/Mechanic complain about Shannons & Insurance claims.

This is exactly why I went looking! My preferred repairer & vehicle owner are in a legal battle at the moment regarding damage to an 1934 Ford Coupe & my repairer referred me to Lumley's and hence why I'm asking some questions.

So far I'm leaning still to Shannon's only because of the lack of support for Lumley's.

Cheers, D

Interesting to note thought that Shannons are apparently now changing their policy so that it will very hard for anyone other than the owner to drive the vehicle.. So maybe now it will be covered for all of those events (including alein abduction) but only if the listed driver is driving it at the time..

There has been a power shift at the top of Shannons.

Now that Just Cars & Shannons have merged, the old CEO of Shannons, was replaced by the CEO coming over from Just Cars.

I don't know that this is the reason for policy change, but could be?

From my experiences Just Cars was never as competitive as Shannons.

Cheers, D

Interesting to note thought that Shannons are apparently now changing their policy so that it will very hard for anyone other than the owner to drive the vehicle..

Hmm...

So it's not covered if a thief takes the car ?? Sounds like an "out" clause :P

A further note:- Guild (Pharmacy) Insurance as of this year is no longer insuring grey imports - except to keep faith with existing policyholders. :dry:

Perhaps, but I bet they make it very clear in their PDS that driving under the influence of behind the counter benzodiazepines and SSRIs will void insurance claims :teehee: