SAU Community

Options For Low Mount + Wg

SargeRX8

Hey all,

Ive been searching quite heavily for a while now. I'm thinking about my build and trying to see what the road of external wg looks like as its probably the simplest way I'm gonna get my turbo up and running.

Anyway, Ive been looking for a manifold. Everything I find is top mount, top mount, top mount!

Does there exist a low mount manifold with an external wastegate port? I don't really want to spend a fortune either. I see some manifold for $100 some for $500 some for $900+ Thats abit too much to pay for pipes....

Ive got a high mount manifold here which I do not want to use. Ive also got a spare standard manifold which Ive been thinking about modifying with a port for a WG but I heard if not done properly it will not hold boost well.

Help me guys.

RB25DET turbo is most likely a gt3071.

i know hks used to make a low mount with external gate port but i dont think they make them anymore other than that its either mod your standard one or even speak to kyle at 6 boost and get one made up

Any pics of your WG port?

Edit: Look what I found :) This looks pretty mint. Very hidden too.

Ive got an idea for a screamer pipe/plumb back system I want to share too.

Basically this is my idea. Screamer pipes are loud as shit so you probably don't really want to drive on the street with it on. Ive been thinking of a method to make one which you can connect/disconnect in a matter of minutes.

I think Ive got it.

I found a place which sells a piece of flex pipe about 14" long designed to connect to 35 to 38mm wastegates(I'm sure they can be customized to fit larget). Anywho this pipe connects straight to the WG(a special flange is provided to adapt to any 35/38mm wg) You are also give a special flange with the bolt thread to weld down low to your dump pipe to return the fumes from the WG. My method is simple. Get a special cap made of stainless steel which can fit over the flange on the dump. When you want to scream externally, unscrew the flex pipe from the dump, put the cap over the flange and you've got a screamer. To sweeten the deal, have your welder or exhaust shop weld a dedicated pipe along side your dump pipe and point it to the ground. Get another one of these flanges and weld that to the end of this dedicated screamer pipe then simply attach the flex pipe to the screamer pipe flange.

post-68383-0-36519300-1298686657_thumb.jpg

Edited by SargeRX8

on the cheap, there are 2 ways of doing it, modify the std manifold, by putting in a 90 degree bend from the top of where they all merge - which I have heard can cause turbulence when exhaust gases are expelled and things like poor boost control/extra wear and tear on the turbo - i have also heard others that have had no problems, personally - I decided to modify my turbo housing - same concept - but havent heard any others having boost issues this way - and mine holds 18-19psi flat.

you just need to take it to a welder/turbo/exhaust/tuner shop and it shouldn't cost too much.

This is after I got mine coated:

post-36975-0-69636600-1298688977_thumb.jpg post-36975-0-84714100-1298689062_thumb.jpg

on the cheap, there are 2 ways of doing it, modify the std manifold, by putting in a 90 degree bend from the top of where they all merge - which I have heard can cause turbulence when exhaust gases are expelled and things like poor boost control/extra wear and tear on the turbo - i have also heard others that have had no problems, personally - I decided to modify my turbo housing - same concept - but havent heard any others having boost issues this way - and mine holds 18-19psi flat.

you just need to take it to a welder/turbo/exhaust/tuner shop and it shouldn't cost too much.

This is after I got mine coated:

post-36975-0-69636600-1298688977_thumb.jpg post-36975-0-84714100-1298689062_thumb.jpg

Wow that looks pretty mint man. How much did that cost you to get that welded? Does it matter that its 90degrees from the flow of exhaust? People say you need to have it like angled in facing the engine where the exhaust flow is coming from. Also is that a 44mm vband? Who did you get to do the heat coating?

Edited by SargeRX8

Wow that looks pretty mint man. How much did that cost you to get that welded? Does it matter that its 90degrees from the flow of exhaust? People say you need to have it like angled in facing the engine where the exhaust flow is coming from. Also is that a 44mm vband? Who did you get to do the heat coating?

cost - paid Dr Drift to get the hole cut on the housing and weld the 90 degree bend - then a mate of mine did the upper weld and joined them together - I had to adjust a little so my aircon line could fit - i cant remember the cost, couldn't be more then 100-200 to cut a hole and some welding

in terms of angle and 90 degree- most i have seen are 90 deg, facing exhaust flow would be ideal, but lets face it, all the gases are going to pass through there one way or another...

yes, that is a Tial 44mm gate with vband clamps...

jet hot coatings did the job in castlemaine - took about 10 days i think, but that was when part of vic got flooded and some of their machinery wasn't working and they were waiting on that.

Adam

Don't really need externalgate on GT3071. You can run it with a strong actuator.

How every ou can weld a screamer pipe on to the turbine housing, but be sure to check its face tolerance after welding as likely it would be distorted by heat.

Image0021.jpg

Image0024.jpg