SAU Community

The Wakefield "incident"

Pezhead

Im sorry but i have to take my hat off to you Eric for being so cool about the whole incident... any lesser man, including myself would not of accepted his total disregard for 'common sense'....

He will get what he deserves in due time and from a club perspective i hope he is never allowed back to any club run trackday :domokun:

I was standing as a spectator watching this 300zx come out of pit lane on to the end of the straight, light the tyres and perform a solid fishtail, before setting up for the first major turn (excuse my vague terminology, it was my first time at Wakefield and I'm unfamiliar with the track lay out). This would have been at about 1230pm during another passenger session. I remember thinking "wow that thing's a beast....should he be drifting??"

I'm wondering if brake failure can be determined as fact or if driver error/silly business is behind this. Which club does this 300zx driver belong to?

As a proud new member of SAU NSW I am absolutely delighted to see this level of comaraderie and support for a fellow member. Although I didn't get to introduce myself to anyone on Saturday (as all were rather busy on the tools, or organising car cameras, or running the event) I will be at coming events and on the track soon enough!

Hi Eric, please setup a 'ChipIn' account.

Don't forget the other car involved is a workshop car so not only will it get free labour but all parts required will be a company tax write-off.

Eric good luck mate the clubs with you

OH and that guy with the evo your friend? his name was buzz?? i saw him not go out so i took him with me for a few laps i think i scared him with my shit driving so he said he was ok for the rest of the day ehehehe :) but a really nice guy

Cheers

Sid

Sorry to hear about this its got to be especially bad seeing it wasn't your car and the attitude of the other party. He could of at the very least offered to pay to tow your car back to Sydney even if only for a show of good faith. The question begs asking what was a big power 300ZX race car on full slicks doing in the same session as a stock MX5 on street tyres?

Eric this is just a woefull state of affairs, what ever happened to moral integrity eh?

Glad your ok mate and kudos to everybody that helped out a fellow SAUer in need. This is why SAU is the best car club in Australia, the comeraderie (spelling) is second to none.

+1 for a chip in fund. Ive already spent a small fortune on parts for my rebuild so what's another 100 to help a good bloke out....:)

The question begs asking what was a big power 300ZX race car on full slicks doing in the same session as a stock MX5 on street tyres?

Not sure exactly on that one, but it would not have mattered, the MX5 was off the race track at the time. I find it hard to imagine that the impact occurred around the corner. I've completed all my breaking and am starting to accelerate where the car came off, and we are doing very similar times be it I only have street tyres. I know how it could of happened, but relying on turning the steering wheel to slow the car with limited brakes seems a stupid idea when there's a sand pit awaiting cars with no brakes.

Anyway it is a racing incident and there was no malice involved. I'd like to contribute to the repair bill, and I'd love the person responsible to match dollar for dollar everything that SAU as a group contributes. It's wont pay for the repairs but it will assist someone who has put their own time and money into the club for the members.

I know if anyone wrote off my car I'd be crying, it would be the end of SAU for me as I would not have the money for a new car.

edit yes it was that car tonton

All, thanks for the moral support. I will be back soon with some details on how I plan to do the fund raising for the parts needed for the repairs.

Yes, that was the other car involved. It is a sponsored car and I have been in contact with the owner. The owner did confirm that it was a total brake failure due to a split line. I don't want to go into too much detail but suffice it to say that his attitute, albiet more sympathetic, was that this occured on the race track and therefore per the liability waiver I am responsible for the repairs to my own car. A bit dissappointing, but factual.

That car is actually a sponsored drift car and the owner just wanted to get a track time for Wakefield. Although he didn't know the driver directly (contact through a mate) he was made to understand that the driver had done car testing with V8 Supercars and had done 5000 laps at Wakefield.

I was going to suggest a couple of fund raiser events.

We could tie it in with the club house opening, Have some pizza and drinks and throw some car vids up on a wall or something. have an entry fee or minimum donation for entry.

Could have a Gran Turismo Competition with a couple little prizes, with an entry fee.

have an auction. If the auction goes ahead I'll put up a full shoot including a framed print for the winner.

You're luck your in SAU, and lucky your a good bloke Eric ;)

how about contacting the sponsors re the bad press? i certainly wont be using 'sureflo exhausts' for my extraction needs..

oh and like the idea of a gran turismo comp. i can turn up with ps3 and screen if a LAN party was in the offing?

Folks, I've been in contact with sureflo. I can't post up much more than the fact that they had "loaned" the car out to get some lap times. I am discussing with them at the moment.

The Mackie's weren't involved at all to my knowledge.

I hate this ambiguity that exists in this thread with regard to the offender. I am a strong believer in "personal responsibility", being responsible for your actions, the things you say and the decisions you make etc. To write off someones car and then simply reply with some weak statement like "oh it's a racetrack buddy" is a real cop out and a real shame.

So lets get to know our guy(s).

So the car is known as DriftZ, it is usually driven by Dan Mackie, and from what I can tell is owned by a bloke named Greg Stevenson (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-stevenson/12/B99/497), who is also the owner/manager of the cars major sponsor Sureflo exhaust in Ingleburn NSW. Here is their website: http://www.surefloexhaust.com.au/frame1280x1024.htm

They are both respected members of the aus300zx.com forum.

Gregs username is Thunder and his profile is as follows.

http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/member.php?u=3585

I had a bit more info on Mr Mackie, but since it seems that he wasn't driving I won't post. However, the owners info is all still relevant, his car, ultimately his responsibility, so yeah shoot him and email and let him know what you think and if you are considering of getting a new exhaust might want to think twice about Greg and Sureflo.

• Like 2

Ambiguity is because I don't know at this time. I have requested that Wakefield get back to me with the engagement process. They cannot release thelose details without due process.

No surprise that the driver wouldn't give them to me.

I'm frustrated by this too.

I had a bit more info on Mr Mackie, but since it seems that he wasn't driving I won't post.

Dan is an ex SAU-NSW President and a good mate to many here so I'm sure we have all the "info" we need, thanks anyway. He had nothing to do with this.