SAU Community

The Wakefield "incident"

Pezhead

Ok good to know there is a fire marshall then. The 300 didnt have it's own fire extinguisher? As for the incident, the driver involved is acting like a complete douche, I hope word gets around of his assholish ways. You can't just blatantly trash someones pride and joy and then just say 'racing incident - lol' and walk off. What a prick.

FYI We always run days with a medical team and fire on standby. If they arent there yet,sessions dont start.

(This is for everyone, not just JimmyRickard)

You can't just blatantly trash someones pride and joy and then just say 'racing incident - lol' and walk off. What a prick.

Unfortunately, it would appear they can. I will be getting my form and the evidence I've collected to date and seeing a solicitor. Only they will be able to tell me if I have grounds to pursue the other parties for damages.

For those that are choosing to contribute - please only do so if you really feel compelled. I transferred some money from savings today to get the ball rolling on repairs. I will be doing some club fund raising as well. Asking for pure donations really isn't my preference to be honest.

I'd like to see us come together as a club and gain socially from what has happend. May sound a bit "Kumbaya" but I sure do feel supported by all you folks. I'm talking to the execs about a movie night and have some other ideas too.

While I agree with Ben that a receipt from a shop would be good, it just isn't in the budget I think (will only know after a quote).

So, again folks thanks for the support. I'll keep blogging my experience and thoughts here for all.

Hey Eric, im glad Deb is ok about it. Get some fundraisers organised and im sure Alot of sau members will show up to help out.

The way i see it is

Rough guess of $3500 to get parts and labour done and posiibly paint oh and a new dry cell battery as the old one is squashed in half.

If 70 or so sau members contributed say $50 dollars or under it wouldnt take long to get the funds up.

I am more than willing to help contribute money and my time as a mechanic to swap the rear subframe over. Then all that is left is a rear quarter and paint work.

:D

Jez

I've got sources for most of the parts - less the diff and tail lights. And anything else I haven't identified as needing to be replaced.

Most expensive will be the rear quarter replacement. The rest less the diff and tail lights are about $600-800.

I figure the labor is going to be the killer. I'm thinking more like $5-8k if I had a shop do it including parts. But that is my estimate. Once I can tow it to a panel beater I'll have a better idea.

I just started putting away some of my gear from the weekend. Since the accident it totally slipped my mind that I had shot these photos. This was actually my first solo trip in the MX5. I left work early so I could enjoy the top down and have a leisurely trip to Goulburn.

A few shots on the Hume Highway on the way down:

post-16200-0-74280000-1299581242_thumb.jpg post-16200-0-28053700-1299581263_thumb.jpg post-16200-0-23639500-1299581278_thumb.jpg

I actually got in to Goulburn when there was still daylight for once! So I drove around town and had a good look. When I drove past this old rail storage area I thought it would make a great backdrop for a shoot. I only had my point and shoot camera with me so I snapped a couple of photos even though there was no way to avoid some bad shadows on the shot.

post-16200-0-80739500-1299581427_thumb.jpg post-16200-0-31181200-1299581462_thumb.jpg

I just started putting away some of my gear from the weekend. Since the accident it totally slipped my mind that I had shot these photos. This was actually my first solo trip in the MX5. I left work early so I could enjoy the top down and have a leisurely trip to Goulburn.

A few shots on the Hume Highway on the way down:

post-16200-0-74280000-1299581242_thumb.jpg post-16200-0-28053700-1299581263_thumb.jpg post-16200-0-23639500-1299581278_thumb.jpg

I actually got in to Goulburn when there was still daylight for once! So I drove around town and had a good look. When I drove past this old rail storage area I thought it would make a great backdrop for a shoot. I only had my point and shoot camera with me so I snapped a couple of photos even though there was no way to avoid some bad shadows on the shot.

post-16200-0-80739500-1299581427_thumb.jpg post-16200-0-31181200-1299581462_thumb.jpg

geez, where's matt and kory when you need them?

Unfortunately, it would appear they can. I will be getting my form and the evidence I've collected to date and seeing a solicitor. Only they will be able to tell me if I have grounds to pursue the other parties for damages.

May just have to watch you don’t dig a hole for the SAU or the owners of Wakefield Park, from information I heard from someone who looked at the 300Z after the accident found the whole pedal box had broken away from the floor due to poor mounting and under sized bolts used. So maybe the brakes didn’t fail the pedal box was bent up and could not get to the brake pedal very well but maybe the driver did all he could. Unfortunately as any accident on the race track people pay for their own cars. Doesn’t matter who’s at fault. I know it’s harsh but that how’s it’s always been.

As to seeing a solicitor could get very messy, if the 300Z was not CAMS log booked who done the scruitineering to check the car was safe to run on the track and signed off the brakes are all ok? SAU? This is why the CAMS Supersprint Championship does not let cars run that are not CAMS Log Booked.

To let none road registered car with no CAMS log book onto a race track is a big liability to everyone and could stuff up other track days. Even if the car is Log Booked who checked the brakes in the morning scruitineering could be dragged into this matter if it’s goes to court and gets serious.

I will speak to Steven who owns Prestige Motorsport (DRGTR) tomorrow and see what we can work out for you and will send you an email with some images of the accident Bianca took. Our family has been doing sprints for many years and been through what you are going through where someone runs into you for no mistake of your own and you end up with an empty pocket for a long time. Just have also remember the driver of the 300Z will be out of pocket well over 10K to repair his car and I’m sure he’s not happy over that, but SAU members will dig deep and help you out to see you at the race track again having fun!

Brian, I hear what you are saying. However, I have also promised my wife that I will investiagate this avenue if possible to pursue some kind of compensation for damages from the driver and owner of the other car. She is upset that the other parties directly involved in this incident - the other driver and the car owner are not showing any kind of moral backbone. She has not once taken ill with SAU.

A lot of people have made me well aware of the "you pay for your own car" rule. However, that rule is simply to provide a black and white boundary. As with all cases there may be exceptions. I need to see if this is an exception case.

FACT: The CAMS cars you are talking about are actual pure purpose race cars. Cars that have been taken off the street and custom prepared for racing. They do not have to comply with ADR and are not monitored like a road car is. This is a very valid reason to have the CAMS Log book and I agree with the logic.

FACT: This event, even though it was timed was a fun day. The session I was running in was a passenger untimed session.

FACT: Even I have admitted that from the evidence I see, it is a highly logical conclusion that the other car suffered some sort of mechanical failure.

I am not disputing any of these facts. Nor am I trying to bring down the track, the club or our ability to go have legal fun with our cars at speed.

What I am investigating (key word there) is there any legal possibility that I can legally impose a moral standard on the other two parties to force them to assist with reparation of my damages. That's it plain and simple. I have done a fair amount of research this weekend and know that if I choose to pursue a civil dispute, I have to have a soliciter issue a notice of demand to the other parties officially. This constitutes the dispute and is the engagement protocol for taking this matter to civil court. My seeing a soliciter is only to understand the potental to win in such a dispute. Engaging a soliciter will not empower them to suddenly take a legal course against SAU or WP without my concent. I would never do such a thing.

Honestly, I don't give the legal option a lot of hope. So I have already put the wheels in motion to take control of my own destiny on this road.

I do appreciate your canidness and concerns for the best interests of the club and motorsport. I hold no ill will to either.

• Like 2

There is this crappy silver mx5 around the corner that you can steal parts from Eric :P

lol

I've got sources for most of the parts - less the diff and tail lights. And anything else I haven't identified as needing to be replaced.

I know someone with a spare set of NB tail lights. They are chrome Altezza style, but they are tail lights all the same. I'll ask the owner about them tomorrow evening ;)

I like Wakefield but this is just aweful. Would not like to be in the middle of that. Damage looks fairly serious.

Where did this happen on the track and what speed was each car travelling at time of impact?