SAU Community

Cheap Effective More Boost.

help needed!!

ive got an rb20det r32, current mods, FMIC, 3" exhaust dump back, intake, custom tune set to 8psi... really keen on increasing boost to say about 12psi... just new to the import scene and was thinking increasing boost at the cheapest option.. maybe e boost or dual stage controllers im unsure.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated??

cheers

steve :P

lol it should be at 12 psi with those mods . 10 is standard . -will get a 1-2 psi increase with exhaust and sill see 1-2 more psi at the intake manifold with a less restrictive intercooler ( your fmic) . you sure your boost gauge doesnt read in bar or kpa x 100 or kgfcm2 ? it would point at a number 8 to be about 12 psi

boost gauge os turbo is f**ked . do not buy a boost controller to fix this .

what was the custome tune ? put a rag in the intake ? lol

the boost guage reads 8psi?? possible faulty guage( brand i Calibre).. this is how i bought the car, the previous owner said the car car was tuned at performance workshop in kirrawee nsw set to 8psi.

ive been looking up the turbotech and they are the cheapest and have had awesome feedback from everyone here on SAU..

before i install it should i hook up another boost guage to assess?

spewing if the turbo or guage is effed :(

How did you get it to 8psi stock is 10psi?

+1

May have an R33 actuator on there? That's got a max of 8psi...

Get a manual boost controller or a cheap EBC and dial her up son. Nothing will increase your boost except a boost controller or actuator. I'd say you have a different actuator because if the diaphram inside shat itself you would be able to flow as much boost as the turbo can flow. So in your case it would be about 13-14 psi with stock turbo...

An exhaust system will give you the ability to run more boost more efficiently but it wont automatically increase your boost LOL

Boost will not be increased unless the wastegate is being told to do so and this happens via the actuator.

+1

May have an R33 actuator on there? That's got a max of 8psi...

Get a manual boost controller or a cheap EBC and dial her up son. Nothing will increase your boost except a boost controller or actuator. I'd say you have a different actuator because if the diaphram inside shat itself you would be able to flow as much boost as the turbo can flow. So in your case it would be about 13-14 psi with stock turbo...

An exhaust system will give you the ability to run more boost more efficiently but it wont automatically increase your boost LOL

Boost will not be increased unless the wastegate is being told to do so and this happens via the actuator.

cheers mate, as i dnt know much about this car, only a few mods from what i can see, it could have a 33 turbo set up (would this explain the earlier spool then other rb20's ive driven?) ... i understand boost cant be changed unless the actuator allows... ill hook the controller up and turn a click or so see what happens :P hahaha

cheers mate, as i dnt know much about this car, only a few mods from what i can see, it could have a 33 turbo set up (would this explain the earlier spool then other rb20's ive driven?) ... i understand boost cant be changed unless the actuator allows... ill hook the controller up and turn a click or so see what happens :P hahaha

No I'd say the earlier spool would be concerned with not having a boost controller/proper tune done. The R33 turbo does spool a bit quicker but then again you may have a high flowed turbo like me which spools much quicker than your standard turbo.

Best thing is to hook your ebc up and have a play. If your boost controller doesn't make a difference to the boost, there will be a problem with your actuator.

Also, once you have an EBC it will give you a digital reading of boost as opposed to a needle on a cheepo calibre guage that could very well be out by a couple of psi.

I think you will find that it does.

i just swapped out my r33 actuator for an r32 actuator.

i tested both (out of the car) with a gauge attached to the line.

the r33 opened at 7psi. the r32 opened at 10psi.

i always thought it was 5psi for r33 too, but not so it seems.

btw paul, i've never heard of an r32 actuator being 12psi.