SAU Community

What To Put On Manifold Studs?

when I went to pull my turbos off the first time, they were seized as buggery. Was really hard to crack them off.

I ran a tap over the threads and then put a dab of graphite-impregnated anti-seize on them. Then tightened them up the best I could.

5,000 k's later I had to pull them off to do my rb30 conversion. They still were clamped on nicely, but way easier to crack and wind off.

After mine were a bitch to get off the 1st time I have the whole shebang a coat of WD40. (yes it burns off after 10mins). It's been off a few times and swapped turbo since and no problems - also no nuts coming loose either and they aren't stupidly tight either.

i have had problems a couple of time with stainless steel binding. its a f**ker when it does.

i dont bother using SS these days. i find high tensile bolt/stud in right size for what im doing and coat it with Caterpillar antiseize paste which is basically a copper paste. its not cheap buts its free for me and and amazing product.

deals with high temperatures extreamly well.

anything from caterpillar usually is great gear. on a side note, i use caterpillar gear oils in my box and diff in my track car.

Are you changing the turbo studs too? The 4 which hold the turbo on? If so what length and pitch are the standard ones? I need 4 new ones. My old manifold bolts looked like steel stud copper nut. Piece of piss to take both out after 30thou driving. New car has stock shit so I don't plan to ever take the manifold off lol. Need to replace the turbo ones as new turbo is going on. I've got some studs suitable but far too long and I really don't want to be here cutting away...

Lol actually I dont work for caterpillar lol. I work for a company called consolidated facilitations. Im an electrician by trade. My old man is a deisel fitter by trade and territory manager for caterpillar. Got a few mates who work in service for cat or in the mines doing break down work on cat gear so getting their products is not a hassel lets just say lol.