SAU Community

Got A Problem With R33 Gtr,anyone Here Can Give It A Shout?

vcool

got new N1 turbos on, exactly the same ones that were running before but blowing heavy smoke and boost is going nowhere near before, can't even go over 0.6 bar..... anyone may have ideas or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. cheers.

oil restrictors have been changed from original big hole fitting into smaller ones which made it blow less smoke now, but still doesn't seems to be normal...

helps.. :ermm:

Brand new? Are the actuators adjusted properly? Don't they have built in oil restrictors? I don't own a gtr but often the problem with poor boost on new turbos is a leak. I think your wastegates aren't sealing... Just a guess. This would be a turbo off to diagnose and fix though... Unless you just add extra tension to the actuator rods incase, which will give more boost but boost control may be off. Again I'm not sure but thought I'd help.

Boost leak. Black smoke = rich, which occurs when the AFMs measure air which leaks out before it gets into the motor. Re-check all your compressor to plenum piping joins.

Edit: sorry - is it black or while/blue smoke? I assumed black.

bit whiteish , greyish smoke, not that black tho, driven for a day and only heavy acceleration cause big smoke, not on idle. it's running map sensor not AFMs,checked all piping, they are pretty tight. still having problem with boost......

thanks for post up people. just wondering car's been sitting in the garage without charging ,so the battery's dead but it won't affect the tune it has got before, isn't it? motec computer running.

Flat battery wont effect the tune.

Are you losing any water out of your radiator?

it has just been refilled since new turbo lines installed, so can't really see any water issues after 2 days running :ermm:

I'd like to understand his definition of new. New as in brand new or new as in new to your car and have previously been used. Its not very common to gear a turbo is dead if its brand new... If you suspect water in the intake, check inside the pipes just after the turbo outlet, you should see some green shit residue build up.

You often see oil in there from the rocker covers, not alot but you see residue. If your turbos are letting water pass into the pistons then you should see something inside the intercooler piping closer to the turbo outlets(the shit in there is not smooth like the cooler pipes so shit gets into nooks and lines etc).

The water jackets of a turbo have no way of letting water into the system....

So forget that.

As I thought. Its not like oil running past components. The water paths are literally carved into the iron core.

Sorry should have explained better, the water jacket is sealed, only way water could get into anything would be if it has corroded through.

well,should clearify in the first place,they are brandnew boxed N1 turbos.

no water leaking so far, but founda bit oil in the first turbo intake pipe which is the front one,rears clean, might have to give it a dyno too see whats happening there....

IMO - Turbo gaskets are leaking or turbo's are shagged. I believe smoke is piston rings also but this wouldn't affect boost i don't think?

if it was my car sounds like id be checking intake pipes...exhaust front pipe off see if anything looks irregular as in any signs of water or oil leak...maybe even your piston rings are gone oil leaking into combustion chamber causeing smoke... slightly low compression causeing turbos unable to spin?? just a few thoughts.