SAU Community

May Photo Thread

MaTBoY

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Matt & Kory, I have a whole new level of respect for your awesome mad photo skillz. Since I had more time at the Trackday I decided to lug my Nikon around and see if I could get some practice. I got brave and took the camera out of "Awesome" mode and started shooting.

My panning skills are horrible! So many shots ended up on the cutting room floor. But throughout the day I did manage to get just a couple of presentable shots.

I'm really amazed how you guys get so many terrific looking shots.

So here are a few. Would appreciate tips (although I'll problably stick to the video work, hehe).

DSC_0166%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

DSC_0155%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0450.JPG

DSC_0456.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Holy shit rhys! 4WD'ing is epic though! Take some photos of some epic 4WD'ing! I'm still amazed at how good patrols are at "crawling". I did not know suspension was capable of half the things i have seen!

Sidd - Your photos are just rad. Makes me want a 5DII soooooo bad!!

Eric - Turned out good for your first attempt mate!! My best advice i can give, is shoot with the light behind you (then you don't get those underexposed sides of the car that you want all shiny and nicely lit). You've done a better job than i did on my first attempt haha.

That S15 is a beast!! Got anymore details on it? I hear it had an RB26 in it!

Looks like you stood up on top of that bridge on the straight for the 1st photo? Everytime i've gone to go up there i get told off lol. Lucky you!

Thanks Kory.

The S15 has an RB, not sure if it was a 25 or 26 or modified 26/30 or som'n. Went so hard! Neil said that it was an enduro car so has done a 24hr race!

I made sure to get permission first. They were pretty cool with it after that but said - no one else goes up.

The lighting was a bit tough cause the best angles are from the other side of the track and I waited until too late in the day to get over there. I got my lighting wrong for the whole day - Doh!

That little blue and white Rotary is Brian's (GTR32R) - really neat little car. But 3/4 the motor and all the trans sits inside with him!

Was a good day, but my back is killing me from holding in shooting position all day.

Appreciate the suggestions.

That S15 is an RB26 running the old single turbo setup from my GTR. So you can get an idea of how silly my GTR went like with the awd and I ran another 4 psi than Greg does.

Its got a 2.9 kit being built for it.

Originally was a Procar entered car, which did a 24 race.

Bought by Greg years ago, its not running much of the same stuff as when he got it.

There's more pics of it on my FB, if I had decent camera skills i'd take more for you, im at Gregs every second or third day.

Quick car!

Went for a drive today with the fiance and a mate of ours who owns a R32 GTR

Took some photos up at zig zag (perth) and tried my luck at HDR later on

Be gentle :(

I tried it a couple of times and the fiance chose this as the one he wanted

post-62384-0-79372500-1306712833_thumb.jpg

This is just a pic of the two cars together

post-62384-0-85769700-1306712917_thumb.jpg

prob not the best pic but oh well :)

Thanks Rhys! I dont think i have any natural abilities and half the photos i take are blurry because i cbf setting up tripod or dont have the tripod but i enjoy it so *shrug* :P

this one looks a little better on my work PC

We didnt actually intend on going to zig zag, we were going to go to John forrest but theres a gate and they close it at night times O.o

post-62384-0-86426700-1306722841_thumb.jpg

Just make sure it's focused right and the shutter speed isnt too slow and you shouldn't have an issue. Also lens comes into it a lot. When I upgraded from my 18-55 to my 17-85, I was shocked at how sharp my photos became! Then you look at Sidd and Kory with L-glass and their shots are even better again! But I still think your doing well, and I haven't seen any focus or blur issues with your shots. Although I usually view them on my iPhone at work when I should be working (kinda like now, actually! :P)

Just make sure it's focused right and the shutter speed isnt too slow and you shouldn't have an issue. Also lens comes into it a lot. When I upgraded from my 18-55 to my 17-85, I was shocked at how sharp my photos became! Then you look at Sidd and Kory with L-glass and their shots are even better again! But I still think your doing well, and I haven't seen any focus or blur issues with your shots. Although I usually view them on my iPhone at work when I should be working (kinda like now, actually! :P)

Absolutely correct! I recently bought a 17-55mm f/2.8, and although it only gives me 1mm more "width," the quality (and weight) is so much higher, and the fact that it's a constant f/2.8 is awesome! I read a lot about it when I was looking for a new lens, and many people stated that it's basically almost an L-series lens, but without the weather sealing and red ring.

BTW, depending on your budget, there's also 3 different 17-50mm lenses (one from Sigma and two from Tamron) that are a constant f/2.8 http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category697_1.htm

Absolutely correct!

Does I win a price?? :teehee:

I think it's time for another lens upgrade, it's been about a year. Probably time for a new camera too! Just gottastop wasting money on Pootrol.

Speaking of which, one last photo from yesterday:

IMG_3400.jpg

Lol at smiley sun!