SAU Community

Running

Birds

but they do enough running from the cops, so i believe they WILL catch you.

Pfft most are junkies praying on fear...not athletes. Plus you're still decreasing your chance of being caught. If I can run non-stop for 3km in 12 minutes and he can catch me, good on him!

Haven't run properly in ages.. all i do cardio wise currently is futsal once a week.

I want to do the Run Melbourne event, got a mate from work who runs a fair bit and is most likely doing it, so he'd be good motivation/company etc.

Birds, what sort of prep would you recommend? Anyone else?

Depends which event you are running in. If you haven't run in a long time, I recommend the 5km. In which case, HIIT training across a hilly 2-3km route will be good enough to shock your body into road running. Then closer to the event, do a few 5km runs on flat ground just to get the 5km distance under your belt. I'm doing the 5km run, starting in the second wave (can get a first wave time, but I prefer not to be around all the hardcore bastards).

If you need any training help, come do my HIIT course around my streets, which is 3km of hell. I won't lie, it's a c*** of a run. But after training with that, flat ground is a walk in the park.

You can do Run Melbourne as an individual, but if you want a fundraising team, you / your friend are welcome to join the one my friend and I started for kicks (though our donations are actually doing quite well):

http://runmelbourne.everydayhero.com.au/team_love

I will warn you though, we are planning on getting singlets made up :rofl2:

Depends which event you are running in. If you haven't run in a long time, I recommend the 5km. In which case, HIIT training across a hilly 2-3km route will be good enough to shock your body into road running. Then closer to the event, do a few 5km runs on flat ground just to get the 5km distance under your belt. I'm doing the 5km run, starting in the second wave (can get a first wave time, but I prefer not to be around all the hardcore bastards).

If you need any training help, come do my HIIT course around my streets, which is 3km of hell. I won't lie, it's a c*** of a run. But after training with that, flat ground is a walk in the park.

You can do Run Melbourne as an individual, but if you want a fundraising team, you / your friend are welcome to join the one my friend and I started for kicks (though our donations are actually doing quite well):

http://runmelbourne....om.au/team_love

I will warn you though, we are planning on getting singlets made up :rofl2:

I've done zero research into it haha. The 5km sounds like a goer, hopefully that will spur me on to improve a bit.

Plenty of hills here in the north east, will give that HIIT stuff a crack (that's like.. run flat out, then rest.. rinse and repeat yeah?)

Lost bulk weight (6kg) over a period of 3 months (with a uber healthy diet - not water weight) about 6 months ago... Slowly piling the fat back up now... (Gained 3kg.. doh) (5f 8" 75-76kg atm FTL)

Used to run 5-6 times a week, 7.7km a day. Average run time went between 43-47mins... I need to get back into it...

Edited by 10 4

Mid distance,

Run because I like to, keeps me fit etc etc.

minimum of 4 x 10KM every week. (usually a couple more when I feel like it. (shorter though)

Down from 7 x 12KM a week ++ (not good for most things)

Reason for reduction in training (sort of was doing passive weights work just to keep the bulk on and want to get stronger like I was before I did heavy running low gym)

Doing over 100km's a week and feeling sore pretty much every day is not conducive to much at all LOL.

just did an 8.8km (google maps) run in approx 34 minutes.

i run because it keeps me fit and really gives me an advantage over my opponets in a 90 min soccer match.

also training for an 8km race coming up soon.

want to try the city 2 surf this year also.

Mid distance,

Run because I like to, keeps me fit etc etc.

minimum of 4 x 10KM every week. (usually a couple more when I feel like it. (shorter though)

Down from 7 x 12KM a week ++ (not good for most things)

Reason for reduction in training (sort of was doing passive weights work just to keep the bulk on and want to get stronger like I was before I did heavy running low gym)

Doing over 100km's a week and feeling sore pretty much every day is not conducive to much at all LOL.

Damn that's a lot of running. And I'm not surprised you had that kind of fatigue afterwards. Your muscle and joint/ligament recovery would have been zilch!

just did an 8.8km (google maps) run in approx 34 minutes.

i run because it keeps me fit and really gives me an advantage over my opponets in a 90 min soccer match.

also training for an 8km race coming up soon.

want to try the city 2 surf this year also.

That's fairly bloody quick mate, especially maintained over that distance. How much do you weigh?

How does everyone warm up for running?

I usually do some calf/quad/ham/hip stretches and squats for 5-10 minutes, then I'm fairly straight into it for a non-stop 3km...obviously not straight into a sprint, but a reasonably quick jog/run for about 200 metres before I go up to a proper running speed. I do time attacks, so I can't waste too much time warming up during the actual run. Now if I stretch well enough, I usually have no issues...but once in a blue moon, when I start the run, my ankle joints seem to "crack" or feel stiff like they need to crack, a bit like cracking your knuckles. Once they do, they're fine after that and I don't get any pain or stiffness from them.

I've been weighing up the benefits of going for a short (say 1km), light jog prior to starting my timed run...just a warm up to get the joints loose, cause I'm a bit worried I might damage them by going fairly straight into my times run. Thoughts?

No warm up ever, Not for running, not for gym.

Never been injured I guess it just works for me :/

I suppose you do enough running to warrant never "cooling down" in the first place. I do stretch for gym though, never had an injury since stretching so I'm sticking to that! lol

That's fairly bloody quick mate, especially maintained over that distance. How much do you weigh?

67 kg, i do three nights of soccer training and a 60 min and 90 min game per week as well so im pretty fit

How does everyone warm up for running?

well you have to know how your body reacts. i myself do short football style (high knees, side to side) for about a 1 min or 2 then a quick stretch and off i go

Edited by ML73ZR

• 3 weeks later...

67 kg, i do three nights of soccer training and a 60 min and 90 min game per week as well so im pretty fit

Hahaha that explains it, that will keep you fit. My mate always kicks my ass in running, but he's 70kg so I have a 14-15kg disadvantage.

Set a new personal record for my current weight lastnight. 3km of hilly shit completed in 12 mins 30 secs. Gotta get back down to >4 minute km and then I'll be happy. After that, I'm chasing Jarryd Roughead's AFL draft time of 3km 10 mins 44 secs. Gonna be f***ing tough.

Im 37 and havent done any exercise besides shagging for about 20 years.Im 6ft . when i started running about 6weeks ago i was 94kg.I just started doing about 2kms 3-4 days a week and last week started doing 4kms 3 days a week.I am now down to 85 kgs from having smaller meals and exercise. I timed myself the last couple of times over the 4kms and it was about 22 minutes.Not that good i know,but i am so unfit from not exercising over the years.

It gets rather tedious doing over 15km.... big time Lol.

lol what do you think about that whole time? My mind just keeps thinking about how tired my legs are...which pisses me off, just makes the pain worse.

Im 37 and havent done any exercise besides shagging for about 20 years.Im 6ft . when i started running about 6weeks ago i was 94kg.I just started doing about 2kms 3-4 days a week and last week started doing 4kms 3 days a week.I am now down to 85 kgs from having smaller meals and exercise. I timed myself the last couple of times over the 4kms and it was about 22 minutes.Not that good i know,but i am so unfit from not exercising over the years.

Hey everyone gotta start somewhere and that's not a bad time by any stretch. Congratulations on dropping the kilos, you must feel great. I used to do my 3km run in about 20 minutes when I first started. Used to dial up a pizza and run all the way to get it...would time in perfectly! But you get better and better...I was dropping 10 seconds off my time each week. That obviously slows down the faster you get, it's not linear, but you definitely do get better so keep at it :)