SAU Community

Running

Birds

I am doing the interval training thing at the moment, This is because I have gotten back into cricket, I figured it was my best preperation because when bowling its running flat out for a shot period then rest, and running between wickets is the same thing. Hopefully it works because lately I have not been able to build an innings like I could as a young-un because by the time I have gotten my eye in I am too buggered to make the most of it!

Stuff that.

Bowl spin, hit boundaries, sink piss. Worked for Warnie.

Bowling Shane......

Ive been instructed to do 3 sessions a week of 20min interval training.

Can you get the same effect (fat burning) as doing 6 sessions of 10mins a week? I get so bored, this would be a great help :)

Depends what sort of training, intervals, how hard you're actually going etc. There are more than a few variables to it. Generally speaking, the 20 minute sessions would be better IMO because 10 minutes may only be enough to get you warmed up - the most effective weight loss and calorie burning is going to occur when you're dead and giving it everything you've got because you're eating into energy stores and working more muscles to support the fatigue of the major muscle groups. As I said, depends on factors...I do big hill running and 10 minutes of that is enough to destroy you if you're going hard. So if you're going at it hard I don't see why 6 x 10 minute sessions per week won't do the same, if not more for you than the 3 x 20 minute.

I don't believe in running for a certain amount of time - if you're doing interval training, you should try setting a distance rather than a time, and attempt to beat your old times. This not only makes it more interesting, but it gives you time goals to chase after for improvement and you can keep in check with your progress using a stop watch. If it's boring for you then it's more incentive to run the distance faster :)

That's a great response Birds,

thankyou very much. I do start to get knackered after 10mins, calves etc start tightening and all the gunk from my lungs wants to surface. Even though u said it's not about numbers my routine is:

Treadmill Intervals - 60secs brisk walk (speed of 6.5km/h) followed by 30secs sprint (18km/h+ depending on how i feel).

Don't stop when you start to get tired, right there is your window to really get the most out of it :)

In the end all that really matters is getting out there and running - the reason interval training works so well is because of the hard sprinting; people do interval training without even realising it. So as long as you're working your body hard enough a few times a week, you will lose weight, no doubt about that. Calorie burning and exercise is an exact science, but one that we can't accurately comprehend or measure with our minds on the go, so I say just do it without thinking about it too much...changes to your routine come naturally as you progress and find out what works for you and doesn't. If it ain't working for you, go harder for longer or more often!

seriously some of the times you guys are claiming are really good. I'm by no means unfit but I have always been a terrible long distance/endurance runner. I am puffed out by 30 minutes & only reaching 3.7k's on the treadmill :laugh:

I am a champ at the rowing machine though, the rowers at the gym don't have any meters but I can outlast & push harder than a lot of the guys that outlast me on the treadmill

Wow the distance you guys can run is huge. I've just started trying to get fitter, today is day 1 of not smoking, and have been going for 5km walk most mornings with the missus and bub, but this week start work at 7, so CBF with an hour walk in the morning. Instead I've been doing a shorter 2.5km one at a quicker pace, with some jogging thrown in, and can only go about 600m before I need to cut back to a quick walk for a couple of hundred meters, then make myself go again.

I know that'll pick up, especially with not smoking, but atm it's nothing compared to you guys. I've never been particularly fit, and most years at the start of summer I think of doing something about it, but this year with having a daughter I have motivation to really do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Running is one of the best things you can do for yourself in both mind and body. Not only does it make you physically stronger (and a LOT stronger), but it leads you to a healthier lifestyle. Oftentimes runners find that they steer clear of soda and unnaturally sweetened things and it give you a new source of energy once this cycle begins. Running works your calves the most, followed by thighs, core (abs and oblique’s), and biceps in your arms. On the mental side, runners gain a new appreciation for things and it carries over into everything. If you think, "I can finish this last mile and I will be done," you can also think, "I can finish this last project for work or this last sheet of homework for school." I wish you the best in running; it really is a lot of fun!

Some pretty good times being run, especially u birds, down from 20 min for ur 3 kms

What's the general view on a good time for 5km's

I've just started running in my own time due to the fact it really hurt to run 5km about 3 weeks ago haha

I don't enjoy running, especially when it hurts!

Edited by GTR_JOEY

Running kills me. I stick to brisk walking. Even now I've cut down on that recently as I found the anaerobic side of resistance training to be far more effective considering I do that 6 times a week and smash it hard.

HIIT is one of the most effective forms in terms of melting those calories away since it keeps your metabolism elevated afterwards for a long period of time.

• 1 month later...

Recently started running again after 3 years of no real exercise. Used to do state and club athletics (sprints) so I've always struggled with long distance running usually 5km being maximum. Running was my life for over 10 years starting from little athletics. Ran every night and it was great as stress relief too. I often found I could just turn off and focus on running. Trying to keep my runs at 2km and though I'm struggling to make the full 2km now I'm probably running 1500m of it. 22 years old, 6 foot and 85kg.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently started running again and trying to bring down my times for long distance runs. I did a half marathon in 1hr 59mins, what kind of training do you guys recommend to bring down my times to about 1hr 40mins mark.

So far my routine is just to run 5 kms each second day at an average pace of just under 5mins a km. Then on the weekend do a run of 10kms. The routine definitely needs work, what do you guys recommend?