SAU Community

Running

Birds

might give that 3km thing a try..... sounds like something i would actually do hehe!

I remember during officer training school our PTI was a marathon runner and she said lets go for a casual warm up run.... ran for a few km and I was buggered after that haha!! and after all that she said... today we are doing farlek training... a big FML morning that was!

looking at starting it as I cannot run for peanuts. any tips?

Hmm not really the app is pretty self explanatory. I had a rest day between each day as each week is 3 days. Performing the running at the same time each day I found helped to not miss a day out of the week. Good luck with it

Just started running again. Was 105KG now down to 85KG. Goal for April Canberra marathon is 75KG.

Cant do any more than 10ks without injury at the moment as I'm too heavy still (176cm).

5Ks takes just under 30 mins. Long way to go but I've got 3 months.

Well hit a bit of a snag and stuffed my left knee doing a bit too much. Did 19K's with th BIL and now can only do about 3ks before the knee gives way again. I've gone back to the bike and gym to try and give some strength.

Last 5 ks was a killer. Need more ks in legs:

https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=1cb681b42ef057ac2813d50691a2cca3

so I havent trained legs for over 5 weeks. First session back i did some squats which hurt to say the least.

Anyway, that was monday, my legs are still real tight and it hurts to walk. My problem is that I have to play oztag tonight, any tips on what I should do prior to the game to loosen them up a bit and help me be able to run and sprint????

So how'd you end up playing oztag? I have been training my legs quite frequently now and it's becoming harder for me to achieve sore legs after a workout, which is somewhat of a good thing.

I haven't heard of couch to 5 k. Just did a quick search on google and seems interesting. Thanks for sharing brotato.

i was real stiff for the first few runs, then loosened up towards the end but it didnt feel like i was as quick as i normally am.

once i cooled down, i felt it, legs cramped up was so hard to get out of my car

If your getting back into legs and hitting it hard with sprints or endurance, Chuck some ice on calfs or hammys, Or if near a river jump in! 15x 100m sprints with the 100m job inbetween last night, quite sore...

Here be a thread to discuss the activity of running. The good news is that it can't fail and sink to page 2 because we don't have a page 2 yet :happy:

Some topics to kick us off...

What kind of running do you do?

How far do you run and in what time?

Running for fitness or to compete?

Upcoming running events?

Run Melbourne is on the 17th of July...who is going? Why the **** not?

I train at a kickboxing gym and part of the daily routine is a 3.5km run. Back when I used to be fit I could do it in about 10 minutes on a good day. These days it takes me double that. It has up and down hills and mostly is on hard surface. Running is probably one of the best exercises in my opinion, whether on its own or as a warm up or post exercise. It does take its toll on your legs and lower back though especially when running on footpath/road. I run at 6.30 in the arvo and its a medium pace jog but if I'm looking to get fit then its a much faster pace and usually try to sprint the last few metres.

• 3 weeks later...

After 7 weeks of holidays which consisted of 3 cardio sessions, managed to knock out a 2.4km at 8:46..

Thinking of switching to those toe shoes.. Learn to run old school and build some bigger calves :D

ive never been in this thread, and bam, something i can relate to.

I use vibram 5 fingers, used to do all my lifts in them as well.

Definitely build up leg and ankle support. Can be painful at first. Ironic moment yesterday when someone said ill break my ankle in those because they don't have any support...within 5 mins he was on the ground because of unstable footwear.

Bahah teach him to shut his mouth..

Apparently they are really good for developing better balance whilst not wearing normal shoes...

Normal shoes have stuffed up the way our feet and muscles develop

5000 years ago, if you didn't run bare foot... You were eaten :D

Bahah teach him to shut his mouth..

Apparently they are really good for developing better balance whilst not wearing normal shoes...

Normal shoes have stuffed up the way our feet and muscles develop

5000 years ago, if you didn't run bare foot... You were eaten :D

its not even that many years ago, even back to 1900's..

3 months is all it took for a 10yr olds foot to deform after 3 months of shoe wearing.

basically like anything, they strengthen weak spots = better

birthdayshoes.com is a good site

• 3 months later...

Running is the most effective exercise to stay healthy and also helps you to weight loss. You should getup early in the morning and go for a walk or you can do running or other cardio exercise there. That was the best time to do any exercise.