SAU Community

Running

Birds

is treadmill running better then on the path running or is it the other way around, i just started out about 2 weeks ago on a treadmill.

My best was 3.7km distance in half hour my breakdown is 10min power walk @6.2kph speed then 10 minute jogging at 8.2kph speed then back to 6.2kph speed for the remaining 10min

Path...there is much less resistance on the treadmill, it is pushing your feet back for you, which is half of running. The sooner you can get onto the path, the better. I would only recommend treadmills to people with dodgy joints/injuries or people who want to run when it's raining but don't want to get wet. Most people use them so they can watch TV or because they are worried what they will look like running in public. There are some terrible excuses for using them...

max is worked out using the 220 minus your age formula or you can enter it manually if you know it

Thought this sounded wrong. I remember when 7 I think had heart rate monitors on players in the AFL, they were looking at David Hille and he was at around 198bpm I think 28 at the time crapping on about that would be his max (had already said he was at max from 190+). The next contest he was at 205 bpm.

http://cyclingfusion.com/fanatics/heart-zones/ten-reasons-220-age-plain-wrong/

Here ten reasons why “220 Minus Age” gets a failing grade:

1. The formula’s inventor acknowledges its unscientific development.

The equation was created in the early 1970’s by scientists Fox, Naughton, and Haskell who intended it to be a rough formulation and not meant to be representative of the entire population. All subject in the studies referenced were under 55 years of age and male. Although the equation has become accepted and the standard in the literature and is used widely in clinical and fitness settings, its validity is uncertain.

2. There is no scientific research to support it.

There is no scientific validation of this formula. There is simply no research to support it.

3. It is physiologically nonsensical.

There is no physiological reason why everyone of the same age should have the same maximum number of heartbeats in a minute’s time. In fact, we KNOW this isn’t true. For example, as fit individuals age, their maximum heart rate drops very little.4 Research has shown that the maximum heart rate of individuals of the same age can vary by 11 bpm based on many variables especially sport activity.5 Yet this formula claims to scientifically prescribe intensity-based training levels for individuals, even as it ignores their scientifically established individuality.

4. It is useless.

There is a common assumption that any of the equations that predict your individual maximum heart rate will be both reasonably accurate and reasonably useful. Such is not the case with “220 Minus Age.” Intended to guide users to exercise in the right cardiovascular training zones (CVT), in fact, the formula doesn’t accomplish this. “The 220-age formula designed to predict maximum heart rate is useless” according to Carl Foster, Ph.D. and past president of the American College of Sports Medicine, “because it simply is not accurate.”

5. It is elitist.

Don’t believe Dr. Foster? Well, how about trying to convince pro athletes that they should go back to using “220 Minus Age,” if they ever did. Why do we think that pro athletes somehow deserve more accurate training regimens than fitness exercisers? There is value to increased precision, especially for those seeking weight loss or true aerobic benefits from their physical activity.

6. It may be dangerous.

The formula is built into and displayed on the consoles of most pieces of cardio-equipment. But, if followed, it can be dangerous overestimating maximum heart rate in young adults and underestimating it in older people. Using 220-age forces finess enthusiasts, with the air of scientific authority, to exercise at too high or too low a cardiovascular intensity. Similarly, the formula also leads some individuals to exercise at intensities too low to achieve needed health benefits. As finess professionals, we need to ask ourselves if we could be at legal (not to mention ethical) risk for using an equation to prescribe exercise intensity which we have ample reason to suspect is inaccurate.

7. It is an embarrassment.

Savvy consumers can prove for themselves that their Max HR isn’t what the formula says it is, so how much credibility do you think they give training professionals who say otherwise? Yet working this formula is a requirement to pass most personal trainer certification tests. And, worse still, the formula is posted in most health clubs.

8. It allows us to be lazy.

In the early 1990s, I created the original five heart rate training zones, each built on 10% of your maximum heart rate. Those zones were first published in my work, The Heart Rate Monitor Book, and have subsequently been adopted as the standard CVT zones programmed into millions of cardio machines. I acknowledge that at that time, almost twenty years ago, I, too, was unwilling to change and to recommend alternative methods for prescribing CVT zones. Accepted by the ACSM, this mythical formula was just too easy, and it was even then a dogma. I have subsequently confessed my error in recommending the formula and apologized for supporting such a simplistic means of determining such an important value.

9. There are scientifically validated alternatives that are safe and effective.

To the best of my knowledge, at this time there is no equation that has been proven accurate enough in predicting maximum heart rate. None whatsoever. This does not mean that we don’t have any proven means of achieving the same end, because we do.

Sub-maximum testing protocols, or “sub-max tests,” are a straightforward method of estimating maximum heart rate, based on a physiological response to a safe level of exercise stress. One such test, “The Can-You-Speak-Comfortably Foster Test” is scientifically validated by Carl Foster, Ph.D. There are others.

And, yes, I have a business that promotes these alternative tests and protocols, yet I’m sure there are many other means of setting CVT levels that I haven’t even heard of and from which we would all benefit.

10. We have a responsibility to do our best.

Because the estimation of maximum heart rate comes from a professionally supported mathematical formula, it carries an air of scientific authority. If we health and fitness professionals want to continue to be seen as authorities, we need to do our best for our clients, whether it’s easy for us or not. Supporting the use of this outdated formula is simply not the best we can do.

• 2 weeks later...

do any of you runners suffer from chafing?

if so how do you get around it?

Chafing where? If inner thighs, try running in cotton briefs/boxer shorts with light footy shorts on top. If your arms (inner bicep), then a skins top will fix that or go topless :)

For anyone who gets shin splints while running in normal joggers: GET RID OF THEM.

i used to get REALLY painful shins after about 5 mins on the treadmill at 16km/h, now I can do a loooot longer. how? VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS.

having said that i enjoy running on grass a lot more, it's an amazing feeling with these.

http://www.adventuremegastore.com.au/shoes/barefoot-running-shoes-1/fivefingers/vibram-fivefingers-men-s-barefoot-running-shoes/vibram-five-fingers-mens-kso-black.html

THESE ARE A GODSEND

For anyone who gets shin splints while running in normal joggers: GET RID OF THEM.

i used to get REALLY painful shins after about 5 mins on the treadmill at 16km/h, now I can do a loooot longer. how? VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS.

having said that i enjoy running on grass a lot more, it's an amazing feeling with these.

http://www.adventure...-kso-black.html

THESE ARE A GODSEND

M148_4.jpg

heheheh u must look very silly

yep but i don't care :) feels good man

f**k the haters :P

will take a pic soon. gonna get the classics to just cruise around in.

i recon they look mad as! lol

something different anyway.. i considering buying some but pussed out haha

i dont get shin splints or anything.. i recon they would be good gym shoes.. as i usually do weights bare foot anyway

they look like monkey feet.. try running up a wall let me know how it goes

i recon they look mad as! lol

something different anyway.. i considering buying some but pussed out haha

i dont get shin splints or anything.. i recon they would be good gym shoes.. as i usually do weights bare foot anyway

they look like monkey feet.. try running up a wall let me know how it goes

they have a TON of grip; they've changed my running style on a treadmill from landing foot forward on my heel to landing underneath me. feels awesome to push off hard with them too.

you've gotta make sure you get fitted for them; i took a bus into the city to get fitted up for them, winner :) ordered them on the spot cause black is verrrry popular and low stock all the time.

will try the wall thing soon! haha

I am doing the interval training thing at the moment, This is because I have gotten back into cricket, I figured it was my best preperation because when bowling its running flat out for a shot period then rest, and running between wickets is the same thing. Hopefully it works because lately I have not been able to build an innings like I could as a young-un because by the time I have gotten my eye in I am too buggered to make the most of it!

interval training.... sprint training... ewwwww

*dies*

I'm trying to run about 6-7km 2 or 3 times a week. so hard to get a routine though at the moment. bleh...........

Everyone see Asics have brought out the Kayano 18's.

Has anyone tried them yet? Cheapest i found is 149.00 + ship from the states.

need a pair soon as my other shoes are just about had it.

whats the link luke, interesting in getting into asics for running