SAU Community

Exhaust And Bov Choices

Hey guys.

Not sure if this is the right section, couldnt find anywhere else.

Ive recently bought a stock as a rock gtt and am looking in the bov and exhaust market. My problem is that im finding it hard to know what sounds like what and how to find all the brands out there, im looking for a 3inch cat back that doesnt have that drone loud sound at low revs, im looking for a sporty sound that lets loose at high revs if that makes sense, much like a hks hi power silent. As for bovs i dont mind the hks ssqv but would like a slight flutter at high boost, (although if that is intended by the makers of the bov, i dont want any damage to the turbo, not sure if it exsists) but im not sure how to find what outs there besides aweful quality youtube videos and off topic google searches.

has anyone else had similar frustration or know any guides or videos?

any help would be much appreciated.

jarrad

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock ECU? If so forget about BOVs altogether unless you want to purposely cause all types of problems like engine stalling, engine damage etc.

oh really? what about plumb back??

what would an aftermarket ecu do to change that?

std bov is best

forget changin the bov, waste of money, sounds gay and usually makes the car stall or run like ass

exhuast get a good jap brand one

if you dont want droney just find some local members who have 34s and listen to theirs and see what exhausts they have

Aftermarket BOV's are a waste of cash. Leave it as is! Vent to atmo gives no performance gain apart from sounding like a two bob wanka!!! Spend the money elsewhere like a decent cat or computer.

If you really want a bov you can have one, if you dont mind paying a few 100 for a noise then go for it but yeah in regards to the stalling and all that it is a bit of a hassle and only buy getting a full tune with a ecu the tuner can fix that.

Hmm fair enough might have to look down the track for that one.

Kakimoto exhausts sound pretty awesome from a few YouTube vids I watched.

Are there any others I should look up that anyone knows of??

If you want more of a bov sound, just get a cheapy pod... my bov noise got alot louder after that...

Also, I have never seen one for sale, but I vote momo course exhaust... came with my car from jap land, tuners have said how it has a nice rumble on idle with no drone on cruising, but gets pretty loud on wot.

Even a legal one??

Hmm could you possibly make a YouTube vid of it? Or do you have any videos already I could look at? :D sounds interesting.

Each to there own I guess

honestly if you want a bov just get one. maybe start by getting a pod filter as that will make the factory bov much more audible. if that's not enough get a metal intake pipe (from pod to turbo inlet). both those mods actually have benefits apart from increasing the sound so at least you're not wasting money. if that's still not loud enough for you, then either remove the stock BOV and have nothing (lots of flutter noise on gear change) or buy your preferred trust/hks/blitz/arc/whatever bov and enjoy. don't expect many people here to understand why though, but I remember what I thought was cool when I was 18 so I won't bag you.....

Hmm fair enough might have to look down the track for that one.

Kakimoto exhausts sound pretty awesome from a few YouTube vids I watched.

Are there any others I should look up that anyone knows of??

Forget the BOV noise - just stick your head out the window and yell to impress the young chicks ;)

As for exhausts, in all honesty most are much of a muchness in what im suspecting is your price range.

Youy can pickup cheap 2nd hand items from the For Sale section for anywhere from 250-550.

Single muffler = louder/more dronge, thats about the major difference in the 3" range.

And the larger the tip out the cannon, the more drone also.

Hmm alright thanks Richard I'll try the pod. Ive heard there's a way to keep them legal, do you know how??

Haha its not for impressing chicks, i already got one of them haha. I just like them.

Price range is Around 1000-1200.

Oh ok I didn't know that about the drone. So I'm aiming for a 3 or 3.5 inch tip or a dual/oval.

I just thought because he said it's rare tree wouldn't be many.

Thanks alot for all your advice guys!! Appreciate it heaps

Hmm alright thanks Richard I'll try the pod. Ive heard there's a way to keep them legal, do you know how??

Haha its not for impressing chicks, i already got one of them haha. I just like them.

Price range is Around 1000-1200.

Oh ok I didn't know that about the drone. So I'm aiming for a 3 or 3.5 inch tip or a dual/oval.

I just thought because he said it's rare tree wouldn't be many.

Thanks alot for all your advice guys!! Appreciate it heaps

Box the pod otherwise defect within seconds

or even try the Blitz exhausts they seem to be alright, plus i believe you can get them from Just Jap

JASMA exhausts generally don't drone, they are usually well made, give performance increases, and above all, are supposed to conform to Japanese noise laws, which AFAIK aren't far from ours.

Quote: "Japanese Automotive Sports Muffler Association (JASMA). JASMA certified exhaust systems meet strict standards for passing car inspections."

ive always thought about getting a bov so i could drive past a V8 sat at the lights and scare the crap outa them, lol, isnt that what there for??? lol

I second the HKS exhaust, they sound filfth, quiet idle, no droning, and nasty when the throttle goes down, sweet...sounds like the cars possessed in a good way..well the one i heard anyway..

I guess its down to personal taste, i can remember sitting at the drags with a v8 starting up next to me wishing i had a louder exhaust etc, but then on the street wish it was a bit quieter on an idle, cost too much for those bovs though when you could spend it on some cams or somthing else... just my 2 cents..