SAU Community

Vq25Det Stainless Steel A/market Dump Pipe

slippylotion

Hey guys

Im currently having my dump pipe made for my nm35 Stagea by a "Kelway Engineering". He makes custom steampipe turbo manifolds (including the the one on my 180SX SR) roll cages, suspension components and more. As i arrived today he just finished a penny farthing bike that I just took for a ride. Funny piece of gear.

He is making the dump pipe in the bell mouth style out of stainless steel. These are direct factory fit bolt on jobbies. He will also have some for sale in the next week or two for only $350 each.

As soon as I get my dump next week Ill post some pics for those interested. He is based in Adelaide for local pick up or will post interstate.

He is also making me up a front pipe so they will also be for sale soon but I have no price on these yet.

If your interested just let me know and Ill forward his details.

Cheers

Edited by slippylotion

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that makes about 37 different people now making dump pipes :closedeyes: . The more the merrier, I guess.

It might free up Scotty's time to make different stuff :thumbsup:

So that makes about 37 different people now making dump pipes :closedeyes: . The more the merrier, I guess.

It might free up Scotty's time to make different stuff :thumbsup:

Yes, like exhaust manifolds for T4 turbo's for eexample :P

I notice these are bellmouth, and the AM Performance ones are split. Dont know what Scottys are.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is besides the obvious physical difference?

I cant work it out, and speaking to a few people sounds like personal preference?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I now have my dump pipe from Rex Kelway. Here is a bit of info as to how and why its made. If your interested in buying one let me know and Ill hand on his details. I can't wait to get the car from compliance to fit the sucker!

He will also be making me a S/Steel front pipe with 200 cpsi metal cat and flex pipe. As soon as its done Ill also post pics and prices.

Cost is $380.

"Stainless steel tube resists corrosion, however in a high-temp cycled environment in has a tendency to crack. Being a hard material with high thermal expansion rates eventually it will 'pull' itself at stressed areas. The tube is flared via splitting instead of heating and stretching. This maintains its natural strength and material structure instead of creating thin and weak spots.

Mild steel flanges are far less prone to warping than stainless. The ductility of mild steel reduces the likelyhood of cracking at the joints. Mild steel lambda boss is not prone to galling as stainless steel threads are. The dump pipe is also reinforced at the flanges and middle seam. It also retains the factory support bracket, all to yield the longest possible service lifespan.

It doesn't have surfaced welds and is not polished, there is nothing to hide. It looks the way it looks because that's what it is, purely functional. You should be able to see how and why something is built the way it is and the workmanship that's gone into it

Why Bellmouth Vs Seperated...

Any gas has a tendency to flow in a spiralling motion through a round tube. In terms of distance covered and gas speed this is quite slow. The basic idea of the bellmouth dump pipe is to have an immediate expansion post turbine and immediate mixing of wasted exhaust that breaks up the swirling motion and funnels the exhaust gas away from the turbo with minimal spiralling. The gentle tapering shape serves to accelerate gas down and away from the turbine outlet faster ultimately creating better flow rates and less heat/stress on the turbine wheel"

Edited by slippylotion

That's a very informative post, and the dump is a very nice showcase of his skills.:thumbsup:

A couple of point from a fabricators point of view;

1; Stretching and forming Stainless is possible without cracking and stressing, but it needs to be annealed as it is worked; to remove the resulting "work hardening". This however increases the cost of the finished product often for no great benefit.

2; With regard to the thermal expansion issue; This can be countered by using a thicker flange. Also, using a material of a different expansion rate for the flange will actually increase the incidence of cracking due to the differing expansion rates of the two materials. Joining the disimilar materials isn't really an issue (using the correct filler), but long term, corrosion of the mild steel flange can compromise the welded joint.

3; Another critical dimension is the weld bead; if the bead of a butt weld (joining two flat plates) or fillet weld (joining flange to pipe) exceeds the thickness of the material by too much; this will promote cracking due to the difference in thermal expansion of the weld and parent metal.

4; Regarding surface finish; I agree wholeheartedly! The appearance of a weld is testament to the craftsman who created it. It is his signature. A beautiful weld is almost always a functional weld. Good engineering always looks good!

Note; None of my comments are in any way meant as a criticism of this product, merely posted for clarity; it's very neat, well made and keenly priced

Cheers, Dale.

So this one has mild flanges with stainless pipe? Not sure about that. It looks like a good copy of mine otherwise. :P

I agree on most of his comments, bell mouth is definitely the go, although the o2 placement will make it bloody hard to do up the middle bolt, he should have moved it over a bit not copied the stock location. What are you doing for heat shielding? That sucker will heat the floor like a blowtorch...

Now you have to fit it, good luck... Get some bandaids. :whistling:

Ive seen mild flangse with stainless pipe many times and never an isue. I think most bellmouth dumps will look similar, so not really a copy of yours. My mate at the compliance shop is helping to fit it as he does it fairly regularly and knows the tricks.