SAU Community

Trubo Timers Not Safe For Theft Of Car?

I was messing around with my Turbo Timer today when i noticed that If i release the handbrake to the last point before it cuts the Turbo timer/engine off, the car is still drivable. So theoretically, if i was going to steal my car hehe and i release the handbrake almost all the way off but not fully, the car is still drivable, and all that is needed then is to keep adjusting the turbo timer to run for extended periods to keep driving it. Is there a way that the cutoff mechanism can be adjusted so as soon as the handbrake is moved a single notch, the engine cuts out?

Thanx heaps.

there is a simple fix, take out the turbo timer and instead just dont thrash it all the way to where you are going to park it.

nahhh cant do that, i live in a rural area so pretty much everything is at highish speeds and its hilly as well so the turbo in my car is in use ALOT, and it needs to cool.

Edited by nathanau

is a theif going to know to not put the handbrake all the way down and you still have the steering lock

I agree wif u, fo sho, but , its just unsettling in a way to know it can be done, nuffin a theft with a keen eye for a GTR wouldnt take on for example. Standard Steering locks overcome easily too. If there is a way to adjust the Handbrake mechanisim would be much better.

Edited by nathanau

there is a switich on the handbrake adjust it or change the switich to a different type and how long do use the turbo timer for in sydney it illegal to have your car running and you are out of site of it.

there is a switich on the handbrake adjust it or change the switich to a different type and how long do use the turbo timer for in sydney it illegal to have your car running and you are out of site of it.

Thats a good point, it is illegal to leave a car running but is it illegal to have a car running with a Turbo Timer? I was at the Police Station a few months back, i parked right outside, went in, turbo timer was set to auto.... I wasnt long, came out and there were two cops who just pulled up standing at my car telling me its illegal to leave the car running. I said its on a Turbo Timer and there like Oh well thats fine, and they left. .... I have no idea if running a TT makes that difference but according to them it was then fine. And thanx, ill check out switches tomoz i guess , see if it can be reconfigured. :)

Edited by nathanau

Greddy Turbo timers also have a cable to connect to your speed sensor so it measures your speed, Quarter mile, 0 to 100km/h and also if the car is moving without the key.

You know hills and 100km/h you only need to let the car idle for around 1 minute. It realy is easier to just wait. Had one in our GTT just for the 0 to 100 timer and speed warning.

Also Turbo timer or not it is illegal to leave a car running without someone present or in close proximity to the vehicle. Just as it is illegal to leave a vehicle unlocked and unattended (e.g. paying for fuel)

Edited by 99 GTT

Greddy Turbo timers also have a cable to connect to your speed sensor so it measures your speed, Quarter mile, 0 to 100km/h and also if the car is moving without the key.

You know hills and 100km/h you only need to let the car idle for around 1 minute. It realy is easier to just wait. Had one in our GTT just for the 0 to 100 timer and speed warning.

Also Turbo timer or not it is illegal to leave a car running without someone present or in close proximity to the vehicle. Just as it is illegal to leave a vehicle unlocked and unattended (e.g. paying for fuel)

Knowing NSW Laws re cars as i do i.e (pretty much anything/mod is illegal loz...) .... I agree with you, i was really surprised when those cops just changed their attitude so easily , they even said like its all good... but i figured nothing is as it seemed...

Edited by nathanau

You don't even need to let it idle for that long. 10 seconds is good enough, 30 seconds is plenty. I never set my timer to more than 30 seconds, so it's off before you're even out of earshot.

Realistically, you don't need a turbo timer at all. I've got one because it means I have a huge penis.

You don't even need to let it idle for that long. 10 seconds is good enough, 30 seconds is plenty. I never set my timer to more than 30 seconds, so it's off before you're even out of earshot.

Realistically, you don't need a turbo timer at all. I've got one because it means I have a huge penis.

So what ya saying is, u only need a turbo timer IF one has a Huge Penis, Well like u, i guess i need to keep my TT. :P

Instruction #1:- Drive like a bat outta hell from A to B (saving 30 sec)

Instruction #2:- At B, let engine purr (for 30 sec) whilst your blood pressure returns to normal

Instruction #3:- Turn engine off > on time - every time

Warning:- The shorter the distance between A to B, the faster you have to drive to stay on time. I know. I have this dream all the time.

nahhh cant do that, i live in a rural area so pretty much everything is at highish speeds and its hilly as well so the turbo in my car is in use ALOT, and it needs to cool.

unless the hills require you to floor it everywhere then you don't need a turbo timer. if they were so important then nissan would fit them as standard.

driving the last 30 seconds of your trip somewhat sedately will cool the car down more than sitting on the spot for 30 seconds after flogging the hell out of the car.

unless the hills require you to floor it everywhere then you don't need a turbo timer. if they were so important then nissan would fit them as standard.

driving the last 30 seconds of your trip somewhat sedately will cool the car down more than sitting on the spot for 30 seconds after flogging the hell out of the car.

Exactly. I'm not sure about RB20's and 26's, but I know the 25's and 25 Neo's have water and oil cooled turbos. I imagine the 20's and 26's are the same. So a turbo timer definitely isn't necessary, though I still wouldn't flog my car right up until parking and then just switch it off.

Mind you, I've been very grateful for having a turbo timer in the last couple of weeks. Car doesn't start when hot. So if I need to pop in somewhere quickly then I just set my turbo timer to 10 minutes, go and do my thing, come back to my car and drive away. Illegal and not good for the car, but the other option is to switch it off and then wait three hours for it to cool down enough to start again... They have their usefulness these turbo timers.

Exactly. I'm not sure about RB20's and 26's, but I know the 25's and 25 Neo's have water and oil cooled turbos. I imagine the 20's and 26's are the same. So a turbo timer definitely isn't necessary, though I still wouldn't flog my car right up until parking and then just switch it off.

Mind you, I've been very grateful for having a turbo timer in the last couple of weeks. Car doesn't start when hot. So if I need to pop in somewhere quickly then I just set my turbo timer to 10 minutes, go and do my thing, come back to my car and drive away. Illegal and not good for the car, but the other option is to switch it off and then wait three hours for it to cool down enough to start again... They have their usefulness these turbo timers.

We have one 'Hill', it elevates something like 800 meters into the gateway of our area which then leads onto the tablelands eventually, running up this hill leaves the turbo glowing so once at the top the timer is a good idea after stopping to let it cool, however, running the car for a min or two at low speeds is a really good idea, i do both, i also use my timer in the mornings OR nights during the cold weather or snow, so i can idle the car for ten minutes before i drive it to warm it up :) Turbo Timers certainly have their advantages.

We have one 'Hill', it elevates something like 800 meters into the gateway of our area which then leads onto the tablelands eventually, running up this hill leaves the turbo glowing so once at the top the timer is a good idea after stopping to let it cool, however, running the car for a min or two at low speeds is a really good idea, i do both, i also use my timer in the mornings OR nights during the cold weather or snow, so i can idle the car for ten minutes before i drive it to warm it up :) Turbo Timers certainly have their advantages.

You really should avoid idling your car for so long if you can avoid it. Letting it idle to warm it up in the morning is silly, you need to warm up your gearbox and diff oil as well anyway. Idling can cause bore glazing and just isn't good for the motor in general. Your car will have coolant temp enrichment settings anyway, so it's much better to drive your car to warm it up.

As for cooling it down, it should cool down very quickly once you have gotten to the top. It's water and oil cooled, so a minute of driving with air passing through the radiator will be better than letting it idle while the coolant actually heats up. Turbo timers are really pretty useless in everyday circumstance. I used to think the same way as you, but I've since come to realize how little they do.

unless you stop at the top of the hill then using the turbo timer is useless. you have to remember that the coolant will keep circulating even after the engine is turned off thanks to the laws of fluid thermodynamics.

also it may be worth trying going up in a lower gear and using less throttle. to a large extent the amount of work the turbo does comes down to throttle percentage, not rpm. you can go up a hill in 4th gear doing 80kmh but have to pretty much floor it so you are on full boost, or you can go up in 3rd gear at a higher rpm but lower throttle and not at full boost, which is much better for the engine and turbo. might be worth thinking about in the steeper parts of the climb.

You really should avoid idling your car for so long if you can avoid it. Letting it idle to warm it up in the morning is silly, you need to warm up your gearbox and diff oil as well anyway. Idling can cause bore glazing and just isn't good for the motor in general. Your car will have coolant temp enrichment settings anyway, so it's much better to drive your car to warm it up.

As for cooling it down, it should cool down very quickly once you have gotten to the top. It's water and oil cooled, so a minute of driving with air passing through the radiator will be better than letting it idle while the coolant actually heats up. Turbo timers are really pretty useless in everyday circumstance. I used to think the same way as you, but I've since come to realize how little they do.

all of this is spot on. letting the car sit and idle for too long when cold does more damage then driving sedately for the first few mins. the car actually takes longer to warm up when you just let it sit and idle.

and yeah, the turbo will cool down pretty quickly once you get back on the flatter roads, especially if they are highway speed, since you get maximum airflow with minimal positive boost.