SAU Community

Flat Battery, Push Start?

Soft

Hey guys, just needed a quick yay or nay on my situation, any advice would be greatly appreciated. For the first time on SAU, a forum search didn't solve things for me :(

Someone recently made an attempt to break in to my R34 GTT, but luckily the alarm scared them off and no damage was done to the car. Unfortunately though, I wasn't at home at the time and the alarm ran long enough to run the battery completely flat. I live on a hill, so thinking I might just give it a quick push start but wanted to check if anyone here thinks I shouldn't? May sound silly but just wanted to be 100% sure before I do it. It has an Exedy HD clutch but apart from that the transmission/engine is stock. If there's any risk of damage I'll ask a neighbour for a jump start but wanted to avoid the trouble.

Cheers in advance thanks.gif

I'm no auto electrician, but if your alarm was armed and activated when the battery died, you might find that the relay for the immobiliser is still immobilising the ignition system, so therefore you wont be able to start the car. You might have to jump the battery to deactivate the alarm (therefore switching the relay back to allow the ignition).

It depends on whether the relay is normally open or normally closed.

It depends on whether the relay is normally open or normally closed.

If the immobiliser is of any value it should be impossible to push start the car.

I've ran the battery flat a couple of times in my R33, jumper leads plus a donor car always does the trick :thumbsup:

As above mate, it might not push start if the immobiliser has locked the ignition. Just make sure you get the terminals right when you jump it. I'd come round to help but we're in syd full time now, don't even have the jesmond place now.

Push starting in general is fine though, the transmission and engine get a far harder bashing when driving the car.

Glad there was no damage!

Jump started and good to go :) Never realised the immobiliser would prevent a push start, makes sense though. At least next time I'll know to go straight for the jumper leads, thanks for the responses. :cheers:

Haha yeh ben I was going to text you if I ran into any major trouble, likewise very relieved that no damage was done - very thankful to the alarm. Hope everything's going well down in Sydney for you and tiff, hopefully see you guys soon (I think a group gathering is on the cards)

As Mark said, if you don't have "some" form of charge in the battery, you can't push start a car.

If the battery is flat to the point it kinda wants to turn over but won't, you can push start, below this you can't as the ECU won't turn on, which means there's no signal going to the injectors or spark plugs to fire any fuel that may be left in the fuel line as your fuel pump won't be turned on...

Jump started and good to go :) Never realised the immobiliser would prevent a push start, makes sense though. At least next time I'll know to go straight for the jumper leads, thanks for the responses. :cheers:

Haha yeh ben I was going to text you if I ran into any major trouble, likewise very relieved that no damage was done - very thankful to the alarm. Hope everything's going well down in Sydney for you and tiff, hopefully see you guys soon (I think a group gathering is on the cards)

Cheers mate, glad it's all sorted. Hopefully will see you soon, there's something coming up this months or next I think? I never remember these things lol.

So the car parked outside your place? Pretty surprising, it's a fairly good area that one (though I did just move from jesmond to live in liverpool for 6 months)

If I didn't drive my old r33 fir about 9 days or more, The alarm would drain the shitty tiny battery that nissan would allow to fit in that tiny section in the boot. It was a full rhino Australian standards IMObiliser and alarm with built in turbo timer. I'd probably clutch start it once every 6 months or so. I always carried a portable jump starter pack as well and it came handy if it went flat in a carpark or somewhere flat.

I never once had issues with the IMObiliser not deactivating. They clutch start really easy, once did it on a slight slant, you would barely notice it sloped at all.

• 3 weeks later...

So the car parked outside your place? Pretty surprising, it's a fairly good area that one (though I did just move from jesmond to live in liverpool for 6 months)

Yeh I thought it was an alright area too, but we seem to get our fair share of vandalism :( A week after the attempt on the 34, someone broke into my sister's car - luckily nothing taken/no damage.