SAU Community

Do You Warn Oncoming Drivers?

hamiltonau

Read this today and found it interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/story/2011-09-28/flashing-headlights-free-speech/50593266/1

I know we get caned for it over here if caught doing it, interesting to see its a constitutional RIGHT in the good ole US of A! seems Canada may follow suit, not sure how it stands in the UK but i would be surprised if we moved to anything near as liberal in the next century or two..

Personally i always give oncoming drivers a bit of a flash though i find myself doing it more often when i see drivers at night without their headlights on. This happens nearly everytime i get on the road lately and it seems drivers are generally worse. thats probably a whole nother thread though..

anyway has anyone been busted for flashing drivers? I held up a sign once on crown street warning of a speed trap, only lived down the road so it wasnt a big deal. Got lots of thumbs up and a few friendly toots, wouldnt try anything that brazen now though..

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ you would have time to tell?

well say you're down a stretch of the road thats 200-300m long. if you see the car coming from the other direction flying along, then I should think one would have time to tell if he/she is speeding excessively or not.

mind you this would be based on the fact that they havent been warned by other drivers.

^^

Good stuff! the karma will come back to you in the form of a free beer or $2 coin found under the couch one day :P

as for the rare situation where you will clock that the oncoming driver is flying along at an excessive rate and there are no cars in front or behind you to also warn him I would be flashing those high beams like i was having a severe epileptic fit (unless it was a euro car) but I understand where your coming from and respect that.

I don't see why we should be breaking the law when informing oncoming drivers of a speed trap.

The radio is forever announcing where the locations of present multanovas and handhelds are.

What's the difference?

Aside from that, yes, I ALWAYS flash oncoming drivers a warning when applicable.

i don't. the way i see it is that there are too many morons on the road that casually speed where ever they go. many of them could do with a bit of a wake up call.

i actually randomly flash people when there is no speed camera. makes them slow down, LOL.

Oncoming Drivers:-

Drunks see the flash too late

P1s swerve to avoid the flash

Narcissists think you're coming onto them

Druggies think, "What was that?"

Manic ppl go faster

Grannies go slower

Cops are vengeful

No I don't flash. Never know who you're going to meet up with these days ;)

I do always have and always will.. Our finer law enforcement officers get a good enough Xmas party out of some of us car enthusiasts who may have the slightly too low or loud car that has been labeled a hoon without even driving anywhere just beacuse of the car you drive.

say flash away. Just be careful who ya flash as they drive some pretty uniqe cars these days lol..

Personally i always give oncoming drivers a bit of a flash though i find myself doing it more often when i see drivers at night without their headlights on. This happens nearly everytime i get on the road lately and it seems drivers are generally worse. thats probably a whole nother thread though..

I've noticed it too. I'm thinking it's something to do with a lot of cars these days, have the dash lit up with the lights on or off. Ie, dash is on in the daytime as it works regardless of headlight switch position.

So if the numpties forget to turn their switch to 'auto', or 'on', then no headlights! They only notice when they are not behind another car and there are no street lights at all, dumb asses!

i don't. the way i see it is that there are too many morons on the road that casually speed where ever they go. many of them could do with a bit of a wake up call.

i actually randomly flash people when there is no speed camera. makes them slow down, LOL.

-1 for being Un Australian

+1 for In real life trolling

so you come out even i guess, GTRsean your theory sounds about right. Not driven a car that was less than 15 years old though so im not sure whats going on with all these new fangled jalopies running around..scary stuff.>_<