The-31 Rb30Det, Restrictions? Power? Weak Points? This Build

RB30TI

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes the VCT will be connected, didn't mention anything about the rear housing. It is a genuine ford 3540 so Its currently internally gated rear housing which is abit bigger then the external rear housings, I will be changing to a externally gated rear housing.

And I wouldnt say mint OR original haha, i have changed abit on her. Will see how I go with a pic later on.

The car is I'n Adelaide currently at Boost Worx Getting tuned.

Here are some pics, some old some newer. the bonnet, front bar, rear bar, tail lights and garnish have been painted as i put them on there but the gaurds, doors and roof are orig paint. i dont think ive really ever posted any or many photos of her.

post-41701-0-23207700-1318337268_thumb.jpg

post-41701-0-65006100-1318337336_thumb.jpg

post-41701-0-96392200-1318337513_thumb.jpg

post-41701-0-15001000-1318337575_thumb.jpg

post-41701-0-49208700-1318337624_thumb.jpg

really? why

It is said that sitting on the rev limiter is what busts oil pumps. The answer is to learn some throttle control and decide on a rev limit (say 7500) and set the limiter to say 7800 and make sure you don't exceed 7500 and just have the limiter as an insurance against the odd over-rev.

really? why

the bashing back and forth of the limiter puts a lot of stress on the oil pump. the n1 pumps have the weakest gears (due to their shape mainly) and can break easily if you bash limiter too much. there seams to be a bit of luck involved aswell though, some people never have any trouble

And the car is only a streeter and on the strip from time to time but no track work intended

Im going to have to ask, but why the big budget build when it will be on the street 99% of the time? Just curious as to why people fit high flow pumps, cams / springs etc then it sits at 60Km/h for the majority of its life. Sky30 threw a stock 3lt bottom end in years ago and it ran well over 300 rwkw for a long long time....on a safe tune. Never popped a rod or blew if memory serves me right.

Pretty sure the rb30 making 300rwkw would have had a high flow fuel pump!

Know what your saying though you can make enough power from a stock bottom end to do lots of naughty stuff on the street.

Maybe he was talking about oil pump?

I understand what your saying tho, the bottom end has Been running for awhile with sohc with crow cam, gtr inj, Nistune, 044, some sort of hi flowed rb25 turbo or something. Never had it tuned tho.

Just wanted to go twin cam. I would like to take it to the strip but none close by, Im from Mildura Vic but I'n Kalgoorlie WA working atm.

Just a streeter. It's what I want so it's what I'm building.

Maybe he was talking about oil pump?

yes, i was referring to oil pump. A fuel pump isnt an upgrade in a skyline these days, as every car would of had it replaced.

Id rather a fresh engine in a streeter anyday...

much better idea than an un-known half million k old RB30

Im not referring fresh vs old motor, more why one would build a big budget built motor running around on the street.

Go nuts, always interested to see results.

Just need a few more bits and pieces like Acc valve and water lines for the plenum and few other small things and should be ready for a start up, once I get dyno results or run into any problems (lets hope not) I'll let you's know.

Seen a few comments about crank collars and N1 oil pumps..

My understanding is that the N1 gears are more prone to cracking due to the manufacturing process (sintered material) and the slightly thinner outer gear (1mm either side). I have an old N1 pump lying around that hasn't broken but I can see the witness marks from a narrow drive hammering on it. As said previously, I ordered some Reimax gears to go in there.

I also opted to have my oil pump drive welded up as opposed to fitting a collar, personal preference really, some like it and some hate it.