SAU Community

Official Cruise: 24.04.04 - Macedon & Spa Country

Jamezilla

Hi all

Based on input from the recent poll - the next major cruise is in and around Mt Macedon and Dalesford 'Spa Country' - for Saturday 24th April. A 'scout' has been completed by Snowman, R31Nismoid and myself to gauge the roads - which are fantastic, albeit a bit narrow in parts. Suitable for all vehicles and drivers (including friends and family - even kiddies).

Lunch stop in 'country town' which has bakery/sandwich shops etc.

Maps will be provided on the day.

Approx distance: 300km (Optimax available in Dalesford)

Meet points: Standard regional meetings (Megamart in Chaddy etc) to meet at Mobil/McDonalds on western side of Western Ring Road at 10.00am - depart 10.30am

Highlights: Mt Macedon lookout, winery stop, spooky 'gravity hill' and the best freeway this side of sliced bread.

Please bring a UHF CB if you have one - lead, middle and chase car will all have radios.

More details will be added closer to the time.

Is a fantastic area to drive around - was a very enjoyable 'scout' - hope to see you all there :D

James

Photos below from 'Gravity Hill' - Mt Macedon.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funky: I'd expect an 'early arfternoon' arrival back in town. But - if you need to be back earlier, we're only 1-hour from the city.

JMP 82: You sure can :)

Inasnt: There was a little bit of traffic heading out of town, in Dalesford and up Mt Macedon - but nothing crazy. Also, the majority of the roads we'll be using are not heavily utilised, and as such we were able to travel at the speed limit quite comfortably.

Let me drive: Meeting at Megamart will likely be at 9.00am with 9.30am departure. Took me 20mins to get from Sth Yarra to WRR servo yesterday.

Kamikaze: Those photos are on Straws Lane in Mt Macedon - the place we stopped is the famous, spooky gravity hill. You stop on the road, put your car in neutral... and it rolls up the hill. Twighlight zone!

For those not familiar with the area - the map below shows all the major towns.

You can see the airport in lower RHS corner. Not far from town - but very nice countryside.

Sounds good guys, I will try and get some twin action happening for this cruise...[Mr34 & Mrs34 :P].

Straws Lane is always good for a laugh! There may be too many of us to stop there though? We'll see I guess.

hahaha why not come? just bring her, my gf is coming also but she usually comes anyway. if she doesnt like it you can drop her off at hepburn spa in daylesford while you drive conservatively of course :D

I'm in for sure....should have the new ECU in by then....maybe even the turbo too, so would be good to test the overall performance. I'll be comming from Geelong so I'll have to figure a way to get to the meet point.....I think its on the opposide side of the ring road to which I'd be coming, so hopefully theres somewhere I can do a U-turn.

I'm in for sure....should have the new ECU in by then....maybe even the turbo too, so would be good to test the overall performance. I'll be comming from Geelong so I'll have to figure a way to get to the meet point.....I think its on the opposide side of the ring road  to which I'd be coming, so hopefully theres somewhere I can do a U-turn.

It is the Outbound one [coming from melb] so you won't have to u-turn :D

Hi there all!

Well as covered already Ash, James and myself completed the scouting cruise on the weekend and I have to say it was probably the best day behind the wheel I have had off the race track. It was an awesome area to cruise through. and I would rate the drive itself better than the GOR - abiet a little different as its is more sweeping bends rather than tight twisties (although there is a few tight twisties on this drive)

A few things I will add that James hasnt mentioned.

Hanging Rock - we went past there as it was going to be our main stopping point only to find that they are now charging $8.00 per car entry to go in there. As a consequence we have decided NOT to go there. However, it is only a short 20 min drive from the winery we will make our last stop at so if anyone wants they can still make there own way there afterwards very easily. There is a big chance I will be going there if my wife comes along on the cruise.

Winery The winery is a really nice small winery and I personally sampled both the merlot and shiraz over the weekend. Beautiful drops. This will probably be the best place for photo's for the day as the back drop looking over all the vines was pretty impessive.

Stop Points Other than the winery its going to be tuff to get everyone parked together as the various car parks are not huge expanses. This includes the town for lunch. So be prepared to just park where you can as the area just isnt designed for groups of 50 cars to all park comfortably together.

As mentioned this cruise was truely a lot of fun and I am looking forwards to driving the roads again. Hope to see a lot of familiar and many new faces for this one.

:spank:

For some reason I think I have something on the 24th but If not I will come to this... I have been around for quite some time but dont go on much SAU Cruises but I think its time I do... Great area guys.. Ive cruised a couple of times around Mt Macedon recently with the misses and the view and roads are sweet!!

Hope to be there!