SAU Community

skyline as first car

Thankyou for the comments.

The cars i have access to at the moment are all automatic. I was wondering would it be possible to learn on Automatic during the Learners stage and three-four months prior to the P exam switch to a manual driver instructor? With the skill obtained from driving an automatic would it make learning Manual easier? Or do you need constant practice on manual?

Thankyou

- Patrick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you shouldnt plan ahead so early lol...

Just keep saving (in case something breaks down and u need to repair)...you never know you might get sick of skylines and opt for another car. :)

Remember you will be on 3rd party unless you can afford a premium of up to 4500 with around 1800 to 3k excess depending on who youll insure with

And about the auto/manual thing... 2 months is more then enough if you have good experience on the roads... Clutch control should come naturally and become 2nd nature in no time...

what counts is how much experience you get on the road/some defensive and advanced driving courses/and watching out for other peoples mistakes!

or you could just buy an auto...

Auto is no fun! :) ... shouldn't take you long to get the hang of manual. I think what you have planned should be fine, but I guess it differs person to person. I've been on my L's since the day I turned 16... We own automatics but I've had about 12 hours experience in a manual (driving thingy with year 10 law class ;) ). Ps. well spoken/written young people are a dying breed on these forums.

countless hours manual, didn't take me too long to pick it up when i was first learning though. but your a guy it should come easily. if you were a chick, you'd never be able to get it:P

Where about in melbourne are you ? anyway , get a manaul car.. good practise will make it tonz easier to drive when your older . buy a 3cyl man and just use that till you buy your line. if you have the money , then why not get a skyline when your 18-19 ?

When I turn 18 I will have enough money to purchase a skyline however the transition from my learner car to the skyline could be too much to handle. I will be mainly learning on a Hyndai Getz which I doubt will give me enough experience to control a skyline. Or is it quite easy to operate a skyline?

Thankyou

- Patrick

You can do driving courses and go on the skidpan to get a feel for your car... and can break traction safely there as opposed to doing it on road. Shouldn't have any trouble 'handling' a skyline as long as your not an idiot with it.

dude

imho dont worry about the skyline atm

get a cheap car, or whatever is thrown at you with your parents and go out to the track and have a ball of a time, you'd learn heaps more about what u like then and what kind of driving suits you the most.

meanwhile just keep saving up, it always pays to save.

I made the mistake of buying a nice expensive first car when i didnt noe much about cars when i first got my license as well.

At 16, we may all think we know heaps about cars...from mates..mags videos etc...but noting beats driving experience.

Dont worry dude, your time will come :)

i too would have to agree that your getting a little ahead of yourself. i still have a shitty little hatch that i paid 2k for, and have been saving like crazy for a while, and still dont plan to get a line' for another year. but thats only cause i will pay cash for it, screw having a loan + insurance + rego, i dont think i could do it even if i tried. but save then purchase outright and things are alot easier, all the spare money you can throw at mods too if thats your thing.

currently the closest thing ive come to "looking" is seeing what the going price is for what level of modification. oh, and trying to snap up good deals on parts for the mods i want to do :)

till i can get my own, i will just have to drive my mates :P

Yea man skyline is the way to go. I already got a r33 Series two. The only bad thing a stock r33 GTS-T (bout 150Kw) is illegal to drive on your P's. The funny thing is that mine has 230KW @ da wheelz and i drive it. Dont compare skylines to fords cuz there is no competition, skylines kik a$$. Insurance. LMAO expesive as crap. im 17 and just car wants $4500 a year. When i bought mda car the mechanic said that a young person whouldnt drive it :P. Its the most fun car to drive and to kik the arses of V8's in.

Patrick,

Don't be silly mate!

First car should be a datsun 180B, you can flog shit out of it daily, put any fuel in it that you can scrape together from money begged off your friends and parents, occasionally hit gutters and parked cars or even mobile cars without too much to worry about, even take it rallying down some dodgy fire service trail in the National Park and if you bounce of a few trees who cares.

The point is, as a confessed car nut you will flog to death your first car and do really stupid things in it. You'll either blow it up or write it off before you get a chance to upgrade so don't put yourself in a situation where your paying big money each week just too own it, then more to run it, then can't afford to insure it, then crash it being chased by the cops at over 180kmph or if your lucky only get caught by the cops and jailed along with your car, license and future driving career confiscated for about 5 years.

Anyone who suggests a Skyline is a good first car - SHAME, SHAME, SHAME

Just my opinoin speaking from personal experience.

Good Luck whatever you do.

obviously this comes from someone whos been there done that..yes you may thrash your first car if its a shit one...if its a skyline u may respect it..of course if you buy a cheap crapper it may cost you loads just to keep it on the road. Best talk to 13_devil hes only 17 with a 33 gtst and he could give u pointers. In the end what is said her is advice...its you who makes the decsion on what you really want....goodluck in your choice and if it is a line...respect the car and you will become a good driver...leave the thrashing to the track and not the streets

obviously this comes from someone whos been there done that..yes you may thrash your first car if its a shit one...if its a skyline u may respect it..of course if you buy a cheap crapper it may cost you loads just to keep it on the road. Best talk to 13_devil hes only 17 with a 33 gtst and he could give u pointers. In the end what is said her is advice...its you who makes the decsion on what you really want....goodluck in your choice and if it is a line...respect the car and you will become a good driver...leave the thrashing to the track and not the streets

well i guess im not speaking from experience in my situation. but my best mate is in the army and bought a r33 gts-t as his first car. hey pays ~650 a month in repayments and does earn a fair bit (~46kyr) and along with living expenses it can be hard for him at times to "enjoy himself". along with the cost of tires, insurance (he's had 2 accidents, 1 at fault but only his car involved) and fuel it can be hard for "average" wage earners to own such a car.

that said, if you manage your money just a little bit and plan ahead, you can own one on shit money, but you dont want to be paying for repairs, insurance and loans.....

If you want a manual lic then do manual from the start don't bother with auto as you'll only be stuffing yourself around longer and and wasting more money.

I would think it, might be better to look at another car/model seeing as the R33 would be 9-10 years old, also the new model of skyline or maybe 2 new models of skyline would be out by then.

I just think buying such old cars might not be worth the trouble down the track, remember things on cars wear down and break and a 10 year old car will either be good or very bad.

You really don't want to be buying a $20,000 car and then finding out you have to shell an extra $5,000 to fix up the gearbox because it's on the way out or the engine or anything else.

The skyline or any other car for that matter can be a very good build but they all fall apart the same.

You could also see about buying a skyline sooner at a cheaper price then shelling out the cash on what you want then.

The person talking about the gemi isn't a bad idea it could be any car, not just to thrash around but also to get used to driving around in just in general, What I mean is that you don't want to be drive a $15,000 to $30,000 car and hoping no one smashes into you or you smashing into them or when parking scraping along something etc.

The big point in this

as a first car u r going to learn alot from it...from experimenting, from experience, from 10 of your fellow mates trying to squezze into what is perceptibly a cool car... etc...etc

and some of it inevitably is going to result in the likelyhood of damage somewhat.

You may well be able to afford what it costs to own and run a skyline, its just that its going to be a rather expensive test mule.

To say that you respect the car because its expensive and hence wont do stupid things is as almost akin to saying that we try not to make mistakes in our adolescent lives....but as young dudes our mind can only see so far, and we cannot make decisions on choices we dont understand...or foresee (ala matrix?)

of cos we still do make mistakes throughout our lives, its just that we make less, cos we try not to repeat past mistakes...esp the stupid ones.

Have you done stupid things in ur life so far? Hell yeah i sure did.

Thankyou for your honest replies.

The reason I am keen on getting a skyline instead of some 1970 car is that it could cause me alot of hassles. As I will be driving to work and university i wouldnt want to be delayed due to the 1970 car not starting up. Just to make things clear I wouldnt have purchased a skyline until I was on my P's (18yrs old) as driving a powerful car on L's is risky.

Has anyone purchased a skyline while on their P's? Or should the skyline wait after the P permit?

Thankyou for all your help.

Regards

Patrick