SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

That's nearly a full tank of e85 right? lol

Yeah that's actually pretty close lol.

Although my car is yet to be tuned on E85 so not an issue for me.

Tuned on it and turned it up yet?

nah not yet Paullie.

Engine has only done 456km need to do a bit more.

But its on the cards this year ;)

Running a high end GTR on 98 is playing with fire IMO (no Pun intended), it feels like filling your car with a tank full of hand grenades.
You get a good tune, the AFR's and timing don't have much head room, you get a servo that dodgy's up the 98 with diluted 95 or 92 in it, which happens more than people realise.
You add in a hot day after you had it tuned in Winter, your at the track with water temps up, ambient air is up with a lower octane fuel than you thought you filled up on because of some scamming servo trying to rip people off and boom, it can be a recipe for disaster and it happens more than people realise.
An E85 setup for a few grand is one of the cheapest insurance policies you can have for longevity for your engine, let alone the performance increase.
You can't tune high boost levels over a max 24-25psi with 98, and between 24-30psi in my experience is where the GTX 2863's start to really show their abilities. -5's wouldn't really do much after 25psi anyway so it didn't matter so much.
Regardless of mods to any performance car, E85 is worth every day of the week.
I didn't make bugger all more power with my -5's when I tuned it on E85, but I was confdent I could race it at the track as hard as I want without a worry in the world.

When I was on 98 I would hear a knock here and there come through on bad batches of fuel with the check engine light coming through from the Haltech ECU, and with the inconsistency with the 98, I don't think it's worth it.
United are rolling out servos everywhere now with E92 and there should be no excuse now for saying ethanol is not easily available. Check the United website for Ethanol servos, they are popping up everywhere now.
When I sold my 34GTR recently it was driven from Brissy to Sydney easily between E85 servos. The other option for all those with a Haltech Platnum pro or the like, is you can use the sensor upgrade, it works a treat.
Drum E85 is a total waste of time and money, it is designed for a regulated racing series with consistency.
You can quite easily tune a car with a few HP less for head room and run the bowser stuff no problems at all. Buy a cheap Ethanol test kit, carry a 5L drum in the car with you, fill it, use the test kit for content level and you're safer than 98ron everyday of the week. I tried drum E85, never again, it is too much dicking around.

I took my car back got it tuned on Caltex E70-85 and lost like 15hp, so it was a no brainer for me, $1.14/litre for pump stuff, or $2.50-$3.00/litre for the drum for 15hp...........no thanks the bowser was just fine :)
Sorry about the big ramble again guys, I do get a bit carried away.

• Like 1

Very well said :)

I looked at United servo list in Sydney a few weeks ago and unfortunately it is still limited here.

Caltex eflex however is more readily available.

Running a high end GTR on 98 is playing with fire IMO (no Pun intended), it feels like filling your car with a tank full of hand grenades.

You get a good tune, the AFR's and timing don't have much head room, you get a servo that dodgy's up the 98 with diluted 95 or 92 in it, which happens more than people realise.

You add in a hot day after you had it tuned in Winter, your at the track with water temps up, ambient air is up with a lower octane fuel than you thought you filled up on because of some scamming servo trying to rip people off and boom, it can be a recipe for disaster and it happens more than people realise.

An E85 setup for a few grand is one of the cheapest insurance policies you can have for longevity for your engine, let alone the performance increase.

You can't tune high boost levels over a max 24-25psi with 98, and between 24-30psi in my experience is where the GTX 2863's start to really show their abilities. -5's wouldn't really do much after 25psi anyway so it didn't matter so much.

I didn't make bugger all more power with my -5's when I tuned it on E85, but I was confdent I could race it at the track as hard as I want without a worry in the world.

When I was on 98 I would hear a knock here and there come through on bad batches of fuel with the check engine light coming through from the Haltech ECU, and with the inconsistency with the 98, I don't think it's worth it.

United are rolling out servos everywhere now with E92 and there should be no excuse now for saying ethanol is not easily available. Check the United website for Ethanol servos, they are popping up everywhere now.

When I sold my 34GTR recently it was driven from Brissy to Sydney easily between E85 servos. The other option for all those with a Haltech Platnum pro or the like, is you can use the sensor upgrade, it works a treat.

Drum E85 is a total waste of time and money, it is designed for a regulated racing series with consistency.

You can quite easily tune a car with a few HP less for head room and run the bowser stuff no problems at all. Buy a cheap Ethanol test kit, carry a 5L drum in the car with you, fill it, use the test kit for content level and you're safer than 98ron everyday of the week. I tried drum E85, never again, it is too much dicking around.

I took my car back got it tuned on Caltex E70-85 and lost like 15hp, so it was a no brainer for me, $1.14/litre for pump stuff, or $2.50-$3.00/litre for the drum for 15hp...........no thanks the bowser was just fine :)

• Like 1

Very well said :)

I looked at United servo list in Sydney a few weeks ago and unfortunately it is still limited here.

Caltex eflex however is more readily available.

Agreed, well said.

I noticed there are plenty of United servos selling e85 that arent listed too.

Agreed, well said.

I noticed there are plenty of United servos selling e85 that arent listed too.

interesting...is there an updated list seeing that the website is not up to date?

well all I got out of that is 'tune you're car on E85 and she won't go bang!'

Now that's been said I think I'm gonna take it to my tuner like ASAP.

I has Haltech platinum pro so looks like that ethanol sensor is gonna be coming my way :)

Hahahahah, thanks guys, " well all I got out of that is 'tune you're car on E85 and she won't go bang!"..........lol. The platinum pro is a good ECU and if you can source the Sensor from the States, it's just the GM version you'll save quite a few dollars I've been told, but I never tried the sensor because I was hooked on E85 all the time and I could never bring myself to even think about 98 ever again......lol.

It's a bit like tryres I suppose, once you have a set of 295 03G semi slicks, you are always on the hunt for the same level of grip :)

Anyway back to GTX 63's, the E85 will def allow the boost level increase so you can get your twins on song up around the 30psi mark. 33psi was max for me and was not yielding much more over 30-31psi. Different dump pipes, exhaust systems, cam profiles might get a little more boost top end, but probably yielding the efficiencies in the mid range would be my focus, especially not going to crazy with cams up at 272 degrees which I had. I should have gone back to a 260 really and keep a 11.0 lift. Big overlap cams are so over rated with turbo cars, I think it is a mentality that has come across from the world of Natural aspiration and drag racing cars with big automatic transmissions and stall converters, not forced induction.
I suppose a huge single for drag racing may benefit?

Hey Anthony, I only ran 1000cc ID injectors for the increased fuel flow with the E85 and was heaps for 478kw. I would probably try a different injector than the ID's, they haven't really had the best reputation from a lot of people and Ethanol for some reason, but the capacity at 1000cc is plenty. Have you got a good fuel system to deliver the increased fuel demand from ethanol? Also a dual entry fuel rail is essential too, in fact I reckon every GTR owner should have a dual entry rail, there is a reason the number 6 cylinder is the problem one :)
Man all theis talk about GTR's again makes me want my car back again, gee I would have liked to have kept on playing around with this.

Hahahahah, thanks guys, " well all I got out of that is 'tune you're car on E85 and she won't go bang!"..........lol. The platinum pro is a good ECU and if you can source the Sensor from the States, it's just the GM version you'll save quite a few dollars I've been told, but I never tried the sensor because I was hooked on E85 all the time and I could never bring myself to even think about 98 ever again......lol.

It's a bit like tryres I suppose, once you have a set of 295 03G semi slicks, you are always on the hunt for the same level of grip :)

Anyway back to GTX 63's, the E85 will def allow the boost level increase so you can get your twins on song up around the 30psi mark. 33psi was max for me and was not yielding much more over 30-31psi. Different dump pipes, exhaust systems, cam profiles might get a little more boost top end, but probably yielding the efficiencies in the mid range would be my focus, especially not going to crazy with cams up at 272 degrees which I had. I should have gone back to a 260 really and keep a 11.0 lift. Big overlap cams are so over rated with turbo cars, I think it is a mentality that has come across from the world of Natural aspiration and drag racing cars with big automatic transmissions and stall converters, not forced induction.

I suppose a huge single for drag racing may benefit?

Hey Anthony, I only ran 1000cc ID injectors for the increased fuel flow with the E85 and was heaps for 478kw. I would probably try a different injector than the ID's, they haven't really had the best reputation from a lot of people and Ethanol for some reason, but the capacity at 1000cc is plenty. Have you got a good fuel system to deliver the increased fuel demand from ethanol? Also a dual entry fuel rail is essential too, in fact I reckon every GTR owner should have a dual entry rail, there is a reason the number 6 cylinder is the problem one :)

Man all theis talk about GTR's again makes me want my car back again, gee I would have liked to have kept on playing around with this.

yeah E85 seems the way to go especially with it being available so close to me.

My car has HKS 1,000cc injectors, HKS fuel rail, Tomei FPR, Walbro 450 ltr p/m so fuel system is not fancy mate.

Anyways, glad you getting edgy about having another GTR.

Anyway, back to the GTX talk ;)

• Like 1