SAU Community

Shift Kit For R34

jdm_skyline

As the title suggests, i am after shift kitting my R34.

Too be honest, i dont know much about them and how it will benefit my existing auto gear box, I have just been told its the way to go if u have an auto.

i have been searching various threads and i have notived a lot of people are going to MV Automatics in SA to get their's done, i have also noticed their are different types too (stage1, stage2...).

What would be the most suitable shift kit for a daily drive, but has that extra punch too?

On estimate, would anyone know how much i would be looking at incl. installation?

Cheers

Well im going to be installing a cooling pro intercooler before i get the shift kit installed.

Other than that so far, there isnt much work done yet

I guess i would like to do some more mods in the near future, so a kit that would give me that option would be handy

There is an easy and cheap way to do a simple shift kit that any auto-trans place should be capable of doing..

Drop the pan, remove the 1-2 and 2-3 shift accumulator pistons & springs from the valve body, replace with welsh plugs (50mm IIRC).

Well, that's why I asked about how modded the car is. How tight you make the shifts on an auto depends on what you're going to be doing with it and how hard you're going to be hitting it (such as it going to the drags - which given you're in SA is not the case, at least legally). If you're making big power then you need to shorten the shifts up to control clutch slip and stop the transmission eating itself. The more power, the more you shorten the shifts.

The shorter the shifts, the better the shifts are when you're hammering, but the nastier they are when you're just driving normally. So, as with all such modifications, there's compromise to be had.

Just arbitrarily saying "I want a stage 2 kit" (because all the cool kids have got one) is the wrong approach. (I'm not saying that's the way you were asking, but it was almost that way). The correct approach is to lay out the power and usage pattern to the tranny guys and let them tell you what is a sensible way to mod the tranny. Or, if you're going to ask on a forum, it's the same. Tell the story, invite the full recommendation.

cheers

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1

Shift kits are a pain to live with...I can just tolerate mine because it has a loose stall that dampens it a bit, but mine is a proper built box with extra clutches etc which doesnt help.

But plenty of low speed diff clunks and neck breaking upshifts to be had

I did the welshplug mod to the tiptronic in my Stagea and for a mildly modded car that was struggling big time on the 1-2 shift it made a WORLD of difference but wasn't overly harsh in anyway.

The pretty much instant 1-2 shift makes for good times when the old bus starting spinning the tyres :whistling:

@GTSBoy

So in the sense that more power requires shorter shifts..... If i am to mod the engine, would i be better off getting a shift kit after i have done these modifications, and getting a shift kit that can maintain that power?

too be honest with u, i dont know what mods i'll be doing next, and thats why, when i was looking thru the forums i noticed that the majority of people who have auto's whether they have smaller mods or have done extreme mods, on average i have seen that people have installed stage2 kits.

I dont have all the money in the world to turn my car into a dragger, and i dont plan on racing at all.

Im not the type of person to take the attitude of being 'cool' cos i have a skyline either, all i want is my car too be responsive when changing gears in tiptronic/auto.

i agree with bubba.. i had my auto serviced and while they were at it did the accumalator mod. cost me $20,shifts are instant and firmer..gets rid of that hesitation between gears. forget the shift kit in a stock street car its not needed.

Edited by rgr34

• 2 months later...

Funnilly enough, I was told by MV that the kits do result in a stronger box, but then again I raised the question before I sent my transmission off to them to build it.

The stage 2 kit is completely OK for driving around on the street, the first to 2nd shift can be a bit 'extreme' when putting along at 20kmh, but it's not like a neck snapping, tyre screeching experience driving along normally at 20% throttle.

At least mine isn't. If you are in SA, then MV are the obvious choice to go to. I am pretty sure they can do whatever you need done, but you have to know what you need first (like most things!)

I did the welshplug mod to the tiptronic in my Stagea and for a mildly modded car that was struggling big time on the 1-2 shift it made a WORLD of difference but wasn't overly harsh in anyway.

The pretty much instant 1-2 shift makes for good times when the old bus starting spinning the tyres :whistling:

Get the welsh plugs, change the fluid, put in a bigger atf cooler and save up for a manual box!

Can anyone recommend a place in Melbourne for doing a basic AT service and the welsh plugs mod? Someone who knows Tiptronic boxes?

My housemate actually has an MV Autos built box for sale. Unsure of exact specs on the box (shift kit, stally etc) but if you plan on power mods in the future it would be a great bargain. PM me if you're interested.

• 4 years later...