SAU Community

Mounting a FMIC

Having just purchased a Hybrid FMIC kit I was a little dismayed to learn I had to cut a 3" hole in the front of the chassis rail, so that the return pipe can be plumbed to the standard throttle body. Having spoken with the shop I bought it from, they said that it was normal procedure for most front mounts to have to do such a thing, which I guess was to be expected.

I however was wondering if this is what any of you guys have had to do, and will cutting a hole in the chassis rail affect the roadworthiness of the car? Having read the thread about the 3 week blitz on imports in Melbourne I’m not really interested in any nice yellow windscreen decals if you catch my drift…

Where you cut the whole is only like 1mm thick steel, so it wouldnt alter the strength or weakness of the car at all.

If the police are looking down in there, then there is alot more things you will get defected for anyway.

Never heard of defect for that tho

when i bought my car it had a 3 inch hole cut into the side of the chasis rail. i don't have an FMIC, but someone must have had one there during the cars lifetime. i didn't know what it was until i realised it was for an fmic. it's not sheet metal i can tell you that. my car passes raodworthy and everything with it, i don't think they even see it down there.

Yeah nice set up Team Krazy, but for just over $1k i'm pretty happy. You'd be surprised how thin the rails are trough the cab area are knore. And You'd be hard pressed to get picked up on it, but my fear is that i'll be the lucky one that gets canneries and have some major problems getting her back on the road (ie permanently un roadworthy... crush town.) Now i'm being an over paranoid engineer... At the end of the day i've bought it, I'm gunna use it, just looking for advice

Cutting into your own car is always hard.

But the process of cutting the hole is a peice of cake, a 3 inch hole saw attachement and a decent drill as people have already mentioned, is all you need. I would also grab some soft rubber tubing that you can split and use to run around the edge of the hole you cut, covering the sharp edges and giving it a tidier look.