SAU Community

Another Rb25 R32 Thread

I have had this car in my possession for just over four years now, but never got around creating a build thread on here.

I sold my 33 series 2 with the plan on buying something sensible, but then this 32 came up at the right price, and much to my wife's disgust, I ended up taking it home.

I managed to make it through about 3 months driving it around with the rb20 in it before I decided to go the 25 route.

As this was the first car that I decided to seriously modify, a few lessons were learn along the way, some quite costly.

Ultimately the plan for the car is to be a street registered weekend toy that I hope to do some trackwork in. In the four years I have owned it, it has been to the drags twice, and one cruise day on the track, so looking to really improve on those statistics this year.

Bellow is how I got the car, sans some Work wheels that I fitted shortly after.

front.jpg

rear_quarter-1.jpg

side-1.jpg

My biggest regret, to date, is that I bought a model with a sunroof, as I am finding that the headroom is quite limited, especially when I am wearing a helmet. As I'm 6'3, if I am wearing a helmet, I have to sit unuaturally low in the seat, or with my head at a slight angle. I will see if I can rectify the problem down the track with a different seat arrangement, but would love to get rid of the sunroof entirely, as it leaks water. Getting a roof cut seems like an expensive option, and am just considering getting a whole new shel and transfering my gear into that. Will have to look into legalities of that in QLD, but that will not happen anytime soon as funds are short anyway.

The following photo was from the first drag day. The rb25 was just put in and I was running a precision highflow turbo, gizmo boost controller, coilovers and some adjustable rear arms. Car was tuned to 300rwhp at 12psi and I managed a 13.7, so was not overly impressed.

R32_at_drags-1.jpg

I decided to ditch the Work wheels and rolled on stock r33's for a while, until I found some 18x10 +22 WorkMeisters for the right price. The mexican fitment may not be to everybody's taste.

IMG_0086.jpg

I managed to blow an intercooler hose whilst driving normally. Being a 32 owner I generally carry a small toolkit with me at all times.

IMG_0272.jpg

The car stayed in this shape for 12 - 18 odd months while I got some second hand parts together.

IMG_0299.jpg

I booked it in with Elite Racing at QLD to have them fitted and tuned. Returned home with 380rwhp at 16psi which I was very happy with.

Currently running a stainless steel manifold that I am hoping to replace with a 6boost one down the track. Once again, no immediate plans on doing this, as i will probably wait until I have funds to go a forged rebuild before I do so.

IMG_0026.jpg

CopyofIMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0318-1.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

With the car making decent power I finally fitted my numberplates that I had sitting for a while that I had planned for another car I owned

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0322-1.jpg

At this stage, having spent a good chunk of money, and having proposed to my now wife, the 32 took a bit of a backseat. having the wedding and honeymoon costs coming up, I mainly mucked around with minor cheap mods, and things that I could do myself. Living in a single carport house with a driveway on a slope and minimal tools, even that work was very tedious.

So for a laugh I changed the gearboot to something slightly festive and found some cheap wheel nuts for $45 from one of our traders for a bit of bling

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

After that I got a cheap roll cage for the car, so stripped the rear seats out and got rid of the sound deadening

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

And also fitted a passenger R33 GTR seat. The plan at this stage was to get a fixed back drivers seat when the money was right.

IMG_0982.jpg

In the meantime, SAU drag day came up, so took the car out for its second drag outing. As it was run during the day, the heat was ridiculous.

post-178202-12878802371484583323.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Best time was a 13.2, but had a lot of wheels spin in the stretched 225s.

Not much happened for a while apart from attending a few skyline cruises

Shots from 2010 Charity cruise

scc204.jpg

5153139995_7993051c91_z.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Shortly after the drags sourced a cheap r32 gtr bar, and finally fitted the cage

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Then lowered the car a little bit for the wank factor and took some more hard park shots :P

IMG_0632.jpg

0304111.jpg

At this point, my wife gave birth to twins, which impacted our budget a fair bit, as the planned return for work for her was no loner feasible, as we would be paying about $600 a week in child care cost.

so my planned track rims were sold off first

IMG_0722.jpg

and

IMG_0771.jpg

Then my daily was sold as the twin pram could barely fit in the boot

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

and it was replaced with this

IMG_0865.jpg

So as the funds dried up, so did the mods. So I just took some more hard park shots for a while :P

2011-08-13221654.jpg

And attended SAU QLD's 2011 Charity Cruise

pwnd1.jpg

pwnd2.jpg

pwnd3.jpg

pwnd4.jpg

pwnd5.jpg

I then had a r32 gtr bonnet land in my hands, so dummy fitted that

013.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Really didn't like the way my front bar sat on the gtst reo in that shot so found a r32 gtr reo instead, and in the process found a black gtr bonnet which I virtually swapped for my white one, saving me the cost of having it painted

So removed latch, fitted gtr bonnet, changed reo over and re-fitted front bar. At the moment, still no spare funds to paint the bar, but I will get there...

043.jpg

044.jpg

002.jpg

As I got rid of the bonnet latch, bought some speed flow bonnet pins that I am currently figuring out how to best install.

So the current spec list for the car is:

Engine

RB25DET engine

Garrett GT35R (aka GT3540R, GT3582R) T3 V-Band Turbo 700hp, Dual Ball Bearing

Turbo Beanie

HKS Stainless High-Mount Exhaust Manifold

Turbosmart 48mm Pro Gate

Sard 550cc side flow injectors

Splitfire Coilpacks

Turbosmart E Boost boost controller

Apexi pod

Custom 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back

3 inch high flow cat

3 inch cat back exhaust to 5 inch cannon

Greddy Plenum

Greddy blow off valve

Hybrid front mount

Walbro fuel pump

Sard fuel pressure regulator

Nismo Oil Cap (!!!!!)

Suspension and Wheels

Gab coilovers

JIC adjustable rear upper arms

Workmeister 18x10 +22 on all four corners

R33 front calipers

RDA slotted rotors

Ferodo DS2500 pads

Standard rear brakes

Front Strut Bar

Driveline

RB25DET gearbox

Cusco Single Plate Clutch

Driveline Custom 3 inch single piece tailshaft

Hicas lock bar

Cabin and Stereo

Stereo stripped out

Eboost controller

Greddy turbo timer

In cabin kill switch

Battery relocated to boot

Recaro front seats

Rear seats and sound deadening taken out

And of course, current power is, as the title states, 380rwhp at 16psi.

lol, really?

why not, can't hurt

I will hopefully have a few more in the next week or so once I get the bonnet pins on and clean the inside so I can take a shot of the new recaros.

I keep meaning to strip the front carpet and sound deadening, but keep pussing out cause I am too lazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Chris. I remember these of facebook. Gear stick.and handbrake boots are looking quite ratty in those shots. Might have to get some new ones made up soon

hey man hope all is well :) car is inspiration for me lol still searching for a gtr reo at a decent price

Lol, cheers. I have it the other way around as you get to race yours quite frequently whereas mine just does a lot of hard parking.

But, my aim is to improve my track attendance this year, funds permitting.

Myshoe, Give me a call about painting the front bar ;-)

Shall do. Can harass you about it on Thurs if you are coming out?

• 1 month later...

Wheels are up for sale, so if anybody is interested check my topics or pm me

The same goes for the Recaros

Decided to get some decent rubber under the car and will be getting a fixed back seat as well.

Hahaha i too had the same issue with my sunroof when i had my 32 (6'3 as well), made days at the track very difficult.

What rims are you planning on going for once you have sold the WorkMeisters???

Sunroof is a pain. Will see how I go with a fixedback with sidemounts, otherwise will end up doing a roof cut and getting rid of it

Plan is to get some rpf1's through one of the sponsors on here and some semi slicks and finally going for a decent drive out in the car.

Got some traction rods and front castor rods as well as r33 lca's going on in two weeks time

They are a great wheel for the money.

If I had my way and more cash I would have opted for TE37s but as the goal is to actually finally drive the car in anger, the cheaper rpf1s it is

• 2 weeks later...