SAU Community

How Do You Launch Your Gtr?

w34ponGT

best last night for me was 11.3sec again, but this time with a 127.5mph....7500rpm clutch slip seemed to work good and not bog down....traction was abit of an issue though :/

going drags is getting addictive

11.3 sweet and 127.5mph is quite high and good for a very high 10

I have a set of stock 32 GTR rims with Toyo TQs your welcome to borrow next if you like, was going to bring them down last night but got caught up with some family matters and couldn't make it, they do a good job of holding traction

What brand tyres where they cheapies or actual quality?

Reason i ask is my mate cracked a 12.3 on a 34R with nothing but 1.2bar boost on the stock ceramics and a full exhaust with Bridgestone RE01's (still running std injectors, fuel pump, ecu). It was only about 255awkw from memory too.

there 265 sorry and kuhmo ku31 brand new, very grippy, but i know what you mean about standard turbos running low 12's hence my other thread ive started

im onto it lol

11.3 sweet and 127.5mph is quite high and good for a very high 10

I have a set of stock 32 GTR rims with Toyo TQs your welcome to borrow next if you like, was going to bring them down last night but got caught up with some family matters and couldn't make it, they do a good job of holding traction

Cheers buddy, will definetly keep it in mind for next time I go, maybe in a month or so :)

• 1 month later...

Launched by 260rs for the first time last night, 3 big revs up to around 7000rpm let the clutch out spun the tyres for a sec then hooked up, did 3 passes with 1.9 60 foot best time of 13.2 @102

Can't wait to screw some more boost n fuel into it and give it another crack

Launched by 260rs for the first time last night, 3 big revs up to around 7000rpm let the clutch out spun the tyres for a sec then hooked up, did 3 passes with 1.9 60 foot best time of 13.2 @102

Can't wait to screw some more boost n fuel into it and give it another crack

was that at willowbank? i never saw any stagea's there... was a angry XR6 doing low 11's with lots of wheel spin though

was that at willowbank? i never saw any stagea's there... was a angry XR6 doing low 11's with lots of wheel spin though

Yep shure was! I wasn't there long, got there when the gates open did 4 runs before 5:30 and left soon after, was that the green xr6 ute that was fish tailing the whole track?

Edited by GTR260

• 1 year later...

Great thread, I have been practicing doing soft launches at 4k to 5k and now I have the car responding better it is great feeling. Done about 30+.

I only have 345AWKW but set up and tuned for response, have an OS Quad clutch and I wait until I feel the clutch start to bite and let it go, it seems to work fine.

Been very worried about stuffing the box up but from what I have read I might build the revs to 7k and see what happens, then maybe more if everything is still in the right place LOL :)

Been told I would be better of with a Nismo coppermix type, twin or triple as they are a bit more forgiving when launching on standard drive-line

Any help appreciated

Still need to start somewhere, I know SFA about launching a R34 GTR and what the driveline can take.

Motor,clutch and diff no problems. BUT gearbox and drive shafts ????

SO your advise is go hard every time and hold on, YIPPEEEEE!

Sh@t you blokes must have a S load of money.

I just love that advise, that is what I want to do , BUT I would like to know what is a stupid way to launch and what is a better way, well, and be able to do it often.

I just thought that my car is not a 1000HP beast I can still have some fun with 345AWKW without FNit it just for fun.

So any educated guesses welcome and after I stuff it up what are the best gearbox setups to get LOL :)

Hmmm. Now I don't own a 345 kw gtr but I do believe I own a 340kw gtr. Oh I've also launched it countless times at 7k.

Also, if you do some more research you will find that the driveline is very strong. However, if you don't preloaded your driveline prior to launching then there is a much higher probability of you breaking something.

Hmmm. Now I don't own a 345 kw gtr but I do believe I own a 340kw gtr. Oh I've also launched it countless times at 7k.

Also, if you do some more research you will find that the driveline is very strong. However, if you don't preloaded your driveline prior to launching then there is a much higher probability of you breaking something.

Hi, I did a bit of research and like everything with this type of thing, 1/2 say do this and the other 1/2 will say the opposite, so ????

You say you have a 340AWK GTR. I would guess mine could be more responsive than yours and there is not much difference between the KWs 345 & 340 but I had them modify mine for response and not worry about getting high Dyno readings .

When I bought my GTR it was 337.9AWKW, I expected great things, got crap all and I did launch it at 8k at least 10 times and it was still laggy as sh@t and without launching it the worst car I have ever driven for response and I have owned some heaps of sh@t in my life. BUT I must say once the T78 kicked in it was mad but not a DD machine.

I do the same launch now, get the revs I want , let the clutch take up the slack and let it go, I have to say with the Quad clutch there is not much slack to take up ,lol.

Since I modified my car I can do the same thing at 4k/5k and it is so much better than the 8k as it was before I had it modified and tuned for response.

I think I used a little common sense when I launched it from the start and loaded the driveline, but at that time I did not know what a driveline or loading it, meant, it just seemed a smarter thing to do rather than just booting it slack, sorry I do not know the terminology for this type of thing

These cars seem to be exceptional and totally over engineered from the get-go to be able to do this type of thing to them and on a regular basis .

Thanks for your input it all helps me get a better idea about the R3s

I have a R34 GTR with a 3.0ltr making 458kw at all 4 with a triple plate Exedy and stock Getrag 6 speeder that just ran a [email protected] after weighing in at 1661kgs with out me

My cars is more responsive with more power and torque every where then yours

Dial in 7k get clutch to friction point loading drive line then progressively release clutch while pushing down the loud pedal in a balancing act to keep it on song, you ideally you want a bit of wheel spin to stop it bogging down

NEVER EVER let the clutch go from the floor boards by moving foot sideways cause that is a sure fire way to brake something

That what I have learnt from years and years of launching both my R32 and R34 GTRs, like previous info ive given you can use it or not

• Like 1

NEVER EVER let the clutch go from the floor boards by moving foot sideways cause that is a sure fire way to brake something

Agreed, but it's a lot of fun :laugh:

Sounds good XKLABA and with the power you have I should not have a problem following your advice, saying that, cars are cars and anything can happen but it takes some of the unknown away.

Even at 4k ish I have been getting a little spin and it has been taking off without bogging down since my my new exhaust system was fitted. I will let you know how the 7k launch goes later today :)

It was also suggested that a softer clutch like a Nismo Coppermix, twin or triple would take a little stress off the driveline, maybe after I have used the OS Quad up I will go in that direction.

Great advice and this thread is very helpful for us newbies.