SAU Community

AE86 - cant find any!

topi

I know this may not be the right forum for Toyotas, but you cant deny the greatness of the AE86.

I cant seem to find any for sale and im interested in importing one. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Oh and I want a slightly tatty and abused one.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resident ex-pat Brit Dave might be able to help... any of the vehicle importers will be able to source and import an AE86 to England I'm sure. Dave, know of any UK based importers topi could try?

I know this may not be the right forum for Toyotas, but you cant deny the greatness of the AE86.

I cant seem to find any for sale and im interested in importing one. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Oh and I want a slightly tatty and abused one.

greatness=denied

Regulations...?

Apart from all the added costs and import tax, there is an SVA test (emissions, sharp bits etc.). This does not apply to cars over 10years old though, so an AE86 wouldnt be much effort.

What kind of price are they going for over there?

Topi - As Evo_Lee said AE86's have held their value well...too well and given the age/condition of most of them, they're way over-priced IMO. While they are THE classic drift car, be aware most are well passed their prime and had a hard life. Finding a clean example is tricky, and their popularity means they command a premium.

I'd also be concerned about the availability/cost of parts for them back in the UK. Might be wise to check that out before you commit. As for where to buy, I haven't seen many for sale - the best place would be the auctions or try checking out local garages in the area you're staying. I'd highly recommend being able to thoroughly examine any car before you commit to buying it.

If you're definitely not going to use an importer (though I would recommend Newera if you're in the UK) then the best place to get info on self imports would be the GTROC UK. Have a look at this thread and this one to get you started. You need to check on the specifics for the AE86's regarding sva, but being over 10 yrs old you shouldn't have any probs...

Dave

As for price - varies a lot dependant on number of bumpers they've had :(

Seriously, had a brief look on Yahoo Auctions Japan (not the best place to get a used car, cheaper than a dealer but much more risky) and I found these:

mym_hyd-img600x450-108140261286-1.jpg

mym_hyd-img600x450-108140261786-2.jpg

with a reserve price of 650,000 yen.

or this, with 160,000KM on the clock going for 300,000 yen:

car_spiral-img600x450-1080024647dsc00564.jpg

car_spiral-img600x450-1080024792dsc00566.jpg

Again, I'd highly recommend an importer or having someone familiar with AE86's be with you to check the car out before you hand over any money...

If you do decide to get one, it'd probably be a good idea to source a set of spares for it (filters, belts etc) while you here too.

Newara oooooh exxxpensive.

Thanks for looking Dave ,that top one works out to just over £3000!

The other works out too £1400.

I see what you mean about them being over priced. Look nice though dont you think?

I think id deffinatly be after a slightly abused example. Im not scared of fixing things and I have alot of help at hand so id rather buy cheap, fix later.

Or even, get one like that poor abandoned hachi near Rezz'z (ill keep my hands in my pockets lwells) , As i can get the engine out of this AW11 MR2 that i know is about ready for the scrapyard.

If you can easily import cars from Australia, a good friend is selling his AE86 trueno (and its even Panda too!). Its commanding a reasonably high price though, as its in pretty good condition for its age (its a 1985 build) and has some substantial modifications (ae92 4AGE converted from EFI to carby, twin dual 45mm solex carbs, hks camshafts, hks intake manifold, rsr extractors, exhaust, cusco lsd, cusco coilovers, bb garage front bar, roll cage, etc etc, was setup as a full track car).

Pictures can be found at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mlighty/

That looks real nice. Im after right hand drive though really, I bet thats gonna be expensive aswell. But if it comes to it, you can get them for under $1000 in the US. Not sure about shipping them over, how does the distance toAmerica compare to Japan from England?

Im after right hand drive though really
Amaru lives in Australia... they have righthand drive (hence the abundant Japanese imports :P)

why would you want one anyways
Light and compact FR car with legendary tail-out biased handling??? I agree, they're too expensive, but thats what happens when demand outstrips supply (or lack of)... just like my oldskool Nike Air Max 90's...

I cheap way of doing it is to get an Aus delivered sprinter and drop all the nice Japanese bits in it. Unfortunately we don't get the nice pop-up light Trueno front end (only Levins here :) ), but you can get the panels/lights and retrofit them.

Rezz: That AE86 still sitting there? :(

LW.

Rezz: That AE86 still sitting there? :)

LW.

Yes mate, still there... me and Troy took a look at it back in Feb and it doesn't look like it's going anywhere in a hurry!

what a waste of a car. :) When I first began working here, at one of our branch schools there was a smart looking supra in black parked across from the building that never moved for over 2 years...

I figured maybe the engine was f00ked, but even so the body/interior looked mint. It sat there rotting until eventually someone moved it right before the carpark was demolished and a Daily Store built there. Was very tempted to try and contact the owner and take the car off his/her hands...