SAU Community

Drag Racing Gearbox

Morgs

Hey all,

Just wondering what gearbox is suitable to throw behind a high HP GTST RB motor. Standard manual box or anything made by Nissan just isnt strong enough, and HKS/TRUST/Hollinger etc are all out of the range of price. Its got to withstand 450-500rwkw, with minor street work included.

Any thoughts on what should be used?

Cheers,

Rick

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm so far

C4 which I've noticed Rigoli like to use on the big R33's they build so they must be able to be adapted

Trimatic, I think I've read of skylines running them

I think the standard auto is Jatco? or could use one out of a VL?

all of the above would have to be built though to suit the HP and I'd say use transbrake and stall converter

What about the standard box (manual) being built as a dog box like Rigoli offer here http://www.rigoliracing.com.au/Gearsets.htm

Has anyone had any experience with the above?

damn that looks like a good idea, dog gears from 1 to 3, thats all most people need anyways for racing,. might give them a call, my cousin knows toni rigoli personlly maybe he can get me a dicount on the set, or organise a cheaper group buy.

pfitzner offera streight cut gearset for the 33gtst box, and the os gearset is also sutable, but when both of these cost over 5k once fitted a auto box would be quicker for drags and stronger and probly cheaper

Clint the OS gearset is around $4000 I think, but I'm sure I read that its still not strong enough for the torque a 3.1L would produce at 450-500rwkw and the pfitzner at $7000 is probably a touch to dear so I guess back to which auto is proven

• 3 weeks later...

i think it's the fact endless dont really care as much as any of us would if the os kit stripped itself, they probs have 4 spare sets... every high hp gtr i know of in aus that has had an os has rooted 3rd.... call domenic from autostyle and ask him what he thinks of the os-cross mission or straight cut gears...not good...

also john munro ran a trust box and tore it a new one, they arent worth it in the end...will be goin a gtr box with pfitnez gears soon i dont think its the go but thats what the bloke wants....let you know how it goes probs be talking him into a holinger in 3 months :P

Hey all,

Just wondering what gearbox is suitable to throw behind a high HP GTST RB motor. Standard manual box or anything made by Nissan just isnt strong enough, and HKS/TRUST/Hollinger etc are all out of the range of price. Its got to withstand 450-500rwkw, with minor street work included.

Any thoughts on what should be used?

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick, being a GTST I assume it's 2wd? If so, I think a standard R33 GTST box may well be OK, we have one behind a 420 rwkw RB31DET that is used for circuit racing and the tyres give up long before the gearbox does ie; wheelspin. The problem with the standard gearboxes and OS cross missions is exacerbated by the 4wd and the extra weight of the GTR's. So if you have one, I'd give it a go.

That said, there is really no substitute for an auto in a 2wd drag car. Hugo's make a good one with all the gear for around $3K, as used in Sub Zero's Try 09 and others. You just have to learn to live with an auto on the street, personally I can't but many others can.

Hope that helps

I'm currently running an OS Cross Mission gearset with a billet sandwhich plate in my GTR and it's holding fine.

Last dyno run was at AutoSalon and my car made 617rwkw and 593awkw.

I'm happy with the box and it held together fine on the weekend when we went to Heathcote.