SAU Community

2008 Skyline 370Gt

Hey guys!

First post here. Just imported my 2008 Skyline 370GT through Prestige Motorsport which is at the compliance workshop at the moment. I have some general queries about the car and would really appreciate any advice on this:

1) Alarm system: Would like to install a decent alarm system that's compatible with the car. Workshop tells me there's different alarm systems out there and I'm not sure which one to go for. Any suggestions? Or is the factory alarm good enough? Budget is ~$500.

2) Fuel: This might sound a bit silly but I'm not sure if the car runs best on premium unleaded petrol or 98 octane? What do you guys use most of the time?

3) Window tinting: Just wondering what is the darkest legal tint in NSW and what are the rules on tinting for example how much can u tint the front windscreen, rear window and side windows?

4) HD tuner: Which HD tuner would you recommend for this car?

5) Navigation: Workshop said if I want they can refer me to someone who can install a navigation system on the Skyline. I'm not 100% sure yet if I wanna go ahead with this.. any advice would be really helpful on this.

6) Tyres: Is it legal to sell the tyres that came with the car?

7) Infiniti coupe: I think Nissan will be selling the Infiniti coupe here from Q4 this year (infiniticars.com.au). How much do you think the base model will go for? I called up Nissan but no words on the price yet. Would be disappointed if it's around 40K like US as after compliance mine's gonna be over 35K lol.

Thanks in advance! Cheers.

post-94510-0-93760100-1337779461_thumb.jpg

Edited by protik

1). the factory alarm system is a joke - definitely get an aftermarket (which you will need for insurance purposes anyhow). Many members in SA run the Viper 5901, which is a pager alarm, so if you are within a 1km radius your keyfob goes off in your pocket and you can run back to your car. A lot of people are putting in GPS trackers too - these are VERY affordable these days, and then you can track your cars whereabouts on Google maps, and you can also send your car an SMS to cut the fuel pump and disable the car.

2). 98 octane is basically the best we have, and what everyone runs. You may get away with 95ron, but to save a few dollars a tank, would you risk long term blowing your engine?

3). No idea, check with NSW RTA or equivalent.

4). No idea ask Chris Rogers on SAU (he is the pre-eminent Skyline auto mechanic is Aus)

5) as above.

6). No - Japanese tyres are NOT dot rated, so are illegal to run in Aus. If you ran these on your car car (or sold them and someone else did) and they had an accident, it would void their insurance. Best keep/sell them as clearly specified track only tyres.

7). Word is they will be around $100k, so you don't need to worry. And no, that will not increase the value of yours (if that was your next question), as they will have English buttons/Nav, local warranty and a host of other benefits over their grey import cousins.

Hope this helps.

Edit: oh, by the way, welcome to SAU. And beautiful car you have there!!

Any half decent reputable audio workshop can do it. they probably sell their own brand(s) of them too, so can go through features. The ones a heap of us in SA are getting are from Jaycar.

Hi Nightcrawler, thanks so much for your reply! Thinking of buying Viper 5904 through Amazon for $314 (http://www.amazon.com/VIPER-5904V-FEATURE-ALARM-REMOTE/dp/B005WIRRCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337788090&sr=8-1). Hopefully should not be too hard to install it in the Skyline. Also, will either get the Jaycar GSM tracking device (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA9011) or a Viper smartstart subscription (http://www.vipersecurity.com.au/smartstart.php). Really excited!!

You are welcome mate. Yep, with the combo of the Viper and GSM tracker your car will be very safe. Of course nothing is absolutely foolproof, but you give yourself the best chance with a setup like that. If you are completely paranoid about having your car stolen (like me) you should also consider getting your auto elec to put in a kill switch while they fit the Viper and GSM ....

Check out all the other options to buy/install with the 5904 (I am not sure what comes standard on the updated model), but with my 5901 I also incorporated: tilt sensor, bump sensor, movement sensor, window windup (so you can open and close your windows using the remote, or can be set to auto close both windows when you turn the car off), battery backup, and 3 extra piezo sirens to mount inside the car, so if a thief gets into your car they will be completely deafened by the sound!

so lete me get this straight. you have a V36 and you are going to buy an alarm off amazon that you THINK will work on that car. I personally think you need to find someone that has worked on and KNOWS this car well.

what you are looking at WILL NOT WORK.

The 370GT is abit of hi tech kit with it's can bus systems driving most of what goes on you would need to be careful what you tried to wire in.

I have no additional alarm fitted, the factory system is insurance approoved and that's good enough for me.

The 370GT is abit of hi tech kit with it's can bus systems driving most of what goes on you would need to be careful what you tried to wire in.

I have no additional alarm fitted, the factory system is insurance approoved and that's good enough for me.

this^

dont butcher your nice new cars wiring. Its already got an alarm. Nobody will try and steal it unless you leave the keys laying around..

I agree don't waste your money adding an alarm you don't need. it's almost impossible to steal anyway and thats why you have insurance. I'd rather invest that money into converting your navigation to Australian standards.

Hi Chris, thanks for this.. yep figured imported items won't be completely compatible. Will be speaking to a local dealer regarding the alarm system. Cheers!!

and when you do it will be a TOTALLY custom calibration on the unit they use. I have done a couple already and I will say this point blank - IF YOU/THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU/THEY ARE DOING - DON'T FK WITH IT!!

that car has more networks in it than the average small office. bring the main one down properly and you are in the 4 figure price range to fix it thats IF you can get the codes to do so..

understand?

Wow you guys are naive - I guarantee you that any thief worth his salt would be in and gone in any car with a factory alarm within a minute. And cars with start buttons are the easiest of all. But not only that, you want a tilt sensor so they don't steal your wheels, proximity sensor in case you ever want to (or accidentally) leave your window open, battery backup so they don't just pop your bonnet and cut your battery lead (to put it on a flat-bed), etc etc. And don't think V36s are immune - they are nice cars that are reasonably quick. There is no way I would feel safe even leaving my V35 anywhere without a pager alarm (and I am fitting a Jaycar GPS/GSM tracker in the next 2 weeks also).

It would be the worst thing ever if protik posts up next week that his car has been stolen, on the basis of misconceptions about how good a stock alarm is, and the old 'you have insurance anyway' theory (which is terrible - how inconvenient would it be to have your car stolen and all the pain you would go through to replace it) ....