SAU Community

Your Favourite Restaurant's In Sydney

GTR32X

Haven't been on SAU in a while but you guys should definately try these places. I know a thing or two about food (that's why i'm now on a strict low carb diet to loose at least 20kg for my wedding in November).

For Chinese: Kirawee Chinese is the best by a mile. A bit pricey at around $17-$22 a plate at dinner but their servings are easily double the size of other chinese places. Trust me it is awesome and up until recently I go out 3 or 4 times a week for dinner.

Italian: It is between Sapore in Lichardt and Carusos at Gymea and La Cucina in Menai. All three are awesome.

Thai: Best place by far and I think I have tried almost every Thai place around (thai is my favourite food ever!!! when living in Europe there were no Thai restraunts so my fiance and I learnt how to make thai food out of desperation) and my suggestion is Tung Tong Rung in Pennant Hills.

Japanese: Belive it or not I find the best Japanese place is downstairs in Castle Towers, not sure what it's called but it is the one between Subway and the kebab shop. Apparently Eastwood is great for Jap and korean but I haven't tried them yet.

Vietnames: Cabramatta, doesn't really matter which one you go to they are all good.

Seafood: By a mile the Sheraton on the Park oposite Hyde Park in the city. $100 per person but well worth it. Again up until recently I went there at least once a week.

German/Austrian: Essen restaurant on Parramatta road in between Broardway shopping centre and the big UTS building, good value as well.

Contempory Australian/International: Can't remember the name even though i've been a zillion times, but it is in the rocks near the Park Hyat, between park hyat and the shipping terminal.

Now I have to go through and read other peoples suggestions for more ideas on where to go to once this bloody diet is over.

German/Austrian: Essen restaurant on Parramatta road in between Broardway shopping centre and the big UTS building, good value as well.

Down the road from my work. I go with work friends pretty much once a week, the waitress knows us hahaha. Big servings! FYI if anyone is searching on a map, it's on the corner of Broadway and Wattle St.

My Jap fixes, I try to avoid places ran by Koreans:

- KURA 1/2/3 around the CBD

- Mappen on George

- GONSHU ramen on York (I think it's better than Gumshara)

- Sukura on Pitt (good small place for dinner)

- Musashi on the corner of Capitol Sq (good in groups)

Who's tried Sydney's Wings and Things? I keep seeing tasty pics come on on facebook and how come I can't find their address?

eastwood is not well known for japanese food, only korean and chinese. the few japanese restaurants there are not authentic japanese restaurants.

I like the new Viet place that opened up - There pork chop and tomato rice is one of the betters ones ive had, And for only $8 you cant go wrong :)

I like the new Viet place that opened up - There pork chop and tomato rice is one of the betters ones ive had, And for only $8 you cant go wrong :)

nothing beats Bau Truong's in Canley Hts Rice Special (BBQ pork chop, fried egg, egg omlette thing & shredded pork on broken rice)... IDONTLIE :)

My Jap fixes, I try to avoid places ran by Koreans:

- KURA 1/2/3 around the CBD

- Mappen on George

- GONSHU ramen on York (I think it's better than Gumshara)

- Sukura on Pitt (good small place for dinner)

- Musashi on the corner of Capitol Sq (good in groups)

?

Agree with above and darksky that the best genuine Japanese restaurants are in Sydney CBD - akin to the Ginza.

Crows Nest comes 2nd!

For those that work in Sydney CBD there is an "International Foodcourt" on George St almost directly opposite Wynyard station. Lots of very cheap asian places (e.g. vietnamese pork rolls for $4, rice paper rolls 3 for $4 - prawn, beef, or chicken) and a nice (although somewhat limited menu) sushi train. Very small sushi train, I believe the chef is Japanese, and they're a bit cheaper than other sushi trains in the City.

Edited by ras1983

^ you mean Hunter Connection? that place is bawse... looks dirty as fuark, not once have I had the runs

I just Googled it and yep that is the place :) Looks dirty but I've never had problems with it either.

yeah that place is pretty good too, still has the opening special of 20% off even though they opened what, nearly 2 years ago?

For those that work in Sydney CBD there is an "International Foodcourt" on George St almost directly opposite Wynyard station. Lots of very cheap asian places (e.g. vietnamese pork rolls for $4, rice paper rolls 3 for $4 - prawn, beef, or chicken) and a nice (although somewhat limited menu) sushi train. Very small sushi train, I believe the chef is Japanese, and they're a bit cheaper than other sushi trains in the City.

i think the sushi place you're talking about MAY have closed recently. if we're talking about the same one.

eating world food court on dixon st is also pretty good food, dirty smelly and i even use their chopsticks/forks/spoons (but you really gotta be careful sometimes they're still greasy ewwww fark) and i've never been sick YET.

I miss working around the city, I'm in a shitty part of town now.. Slurry Hills... geez there are so many weirdos and junkies, but occasionally you see teh secky ladies

please, you should be loving the 5$ coffees from cats poops and i duno, artisan sourdough white flour sprinkled bread, and the 20$ burgers with gourmet lettuce and home grown tomatoes???

I enjoyed the Masuya group of Japanese restaurants when I was in Sydney. Musashi, Makoto (1 of them is a sushi train and other is a bar... forgot which is which) and Masuya (restaurant) are all in the CBD area.

i think the sushi place you're talking about MAY have closed recently. if we're talking about the same one.

I haven't been there in a couple of months so I'm not sure. If it has closed down then that's a shame.

There's also a ripper Asian foodcourt in Haymarket - Dixon House Food Court. Cheap and dirty food, but tastes sensational. There is one place in particular (I think it's a 'sizzling plate restaurant' or something like that) that gives mountainous portions - but be warned: they make their food HOT with a capital F!

Edited by ras1983

lease, you should be loving the 5$ coffees from cats poops and i duno, artisan sourdough white flour sprinkled bread, and the 20$ burgers with gourmet lettuce and home grown tomatoes???

Do I look like some hipster? I don't own a Vespa and have milkcrates in my living room.. I own Skyline, and give no two fuarks about global warming :yes:

Ahh Kura, haven't been in a while, good karage chicken.

Dixon House lol cheap cheap. Never got sick from eating there, so it must be half decent.

Surry Hills person, tried El Loco?

Hello niZmO person LOL

yeah I go there sometimes, but I miss the dirty ling long food at dixon, hunter, chinatown etc.. I do sometimes trek to haymarket for a dirty feed.

El Loco is pretty hipster too

I enjoyed the Masuya group of Japanese restaurants when I was in Sydney. Musashi, Makoto (1 of them is a sushi train and other is a bar... forgot which is which) and Masuya (restaurant) are all in the CBD area.

+1

My Favourite too

In O'Connell St

So booked out, they have 2 sittings/night :)