SAU Community

Good Long Distance Car

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive discussed it with quite a few mates too, and it looks like a BA falcon is on the cards. I never thought i would be buying a falcodore in my life, but isnt it funny how things change, and circumstances arise, and a vehicle i once loathed with a passion, is now a vehicle that i will quite happily spend my hard earned cash on, and be very thankful for owning...

makes you think really..

Ill post pics when i end up getting one.

cheers for the positive feedback guys!

adam

Edited by adamskill

ive discussed it with quite a few mates too, and it looks like a BA falcon is on the cards. I never thought i would be buying a falcodore in my life, but isnt it funny how things change, and circumstances arise, and a vehicle i once loathed with a passion, is now a vehicle that i will quite happily spend my hard earned cash on, and be very thankful for owning...

makes you think really..

adam

If you do end up getting one budget for replacing pretty much all the bushes as the factory ones really are shit. Swaybars and brake upgrades are also worth considering just so it feels like it'll stop and hold the road.

If you do end up getting one budget for replacing pretty much all the bushes as the factory ones really are shit. Swaybars and brake upgrades are also worth considering just so it feels like it'll stop and hold the road.

thanks for the suggestion, but i'll probably do none of this.

Just going back to the pulsar suggestion, I used to have an N15 SSS and I would quite happily belt out close to 1500km in a weekend in that thing. With a decent tune and a new 02 sensor the SR20DE would regularly turn in about 6.5lt/100km on the highway.

I could also take the wife, 2 kids and a boot load of luggage for a weekend jaunt, and I would even leave the swaybars on the "hard" setting with no issues. In 3 years I put over 100 000km on that little tacker, spent more than a few track days getting up to shennanigans, and generally getting on the SAUWA guys nerves at any given chance :laugh: and if it hadnt been destroyed by a stupid bitch in a CRV running a red light, I would doubtless still be driving it innapropriate distances, so dont dismiss all the smaller cars out of hand.

But if comfort is your driving motibvator, just go for the longest wheelbase you can get.

Out of all the later model falcons the BA/BF 6s use the most fuel. If you are only using to go to and from work and want to save some cash look at the AU.

Or

Honda Civic.

Dude, he's not going to be tracking it. The brakes are more than enough for anything it'll cop during everyday driving.

I don't track mine or drive like a f**kwit in it and it's still shit in regards to the factory brakes. They're undersized and the rotors warp very easily from daily driving. He may not bother with upgrading them and be happy with the car in factory fit out, I wasn't so upgraded a couple of things to make it more comfortable and less like a boat that hardly stops.

Edited by a31rb25

Just going back to the pulsar suggestion, I used to have an N15 SSS and I would quite happily belt out close to 1500km in a weekend in that thing. With a decent tune and a new 02 sensor the SR20DE would regularly turn in about 6.5lt/100km on the highway.

Like i said before mate, I've already got a pulsar as a daily, and there is no way i will use it as a long distance car. its just too small and uncomfortable for me for long journeys.

I don't track mine or drive like a f**kwit in it and it's still shit in regards to the factory brakes. They're undersized and the rotors warp very easily from daily driving. He may not bother with upgrading them and be happy with the car in factory fit out, I wasn't so upgraded a couple of things to make it more comfortable and less like a boat that hardly stops.

maybe if you like to tailgate and jump hard on the brakes everytime you need to come to a stop. i have to do some somewhat moderate braking down a 1km long 10% descent everyday on my way to work. i'm using the stock brakes with unknown pads (probably cheap ones) and the brakes only have a minor shake after doing this trip at least 4 days a week since march last year.

sure it's no gts-t/gtr skyline when it comes to stopping, but it does the job of a daily just fine. same goes for the handling. if you spend the majority of the time sitting at highway speeds in a straight line for hours, how the car handles through tight corners isn't much of a concern.

makes you think really..

adam

The diff bushes will need to be replaced if they haven't already been. Diff out job + the three big rear end bushes (and if the car is lowered do some offset rear camber bushes at the same time).

I'm not saying don't buy a Foulcan because of this but just be wary of it and allow an extra ~$1000 to do the job.

Depends on your budget, but I'd go with a 3 series, most preferably a 318, the drives provided from a beamer are always smooth and comfy. A 1.8-2L 4 Cyl will Cover the efficiency too :yes:

Neg. Full books at a reputable shop I know of. Just had 6k cyl head rebuild, front lip spoiler repaired and reinforced 1.5k and many other bits and bobs.. We're E39 people... I've had 2, mum 1, mum's ex 2, dad 1. All been awesome and reliable with reg servicing.

Also helps when your mechanic knows these cars better than anyone else...

Edited by 10 4