SAU Community

Earthing For Rb25

hardsteppa

So in trying to track down my intermittent idle issue on my R33 gtst, I noticed that the exhaust manifold ground lead looks pretty old and frayed. I know 2 things about wiring, one that a good ground is important and the other is I know pretty much nothing else about wiring...so was going to run some ground leads from the block to chassis...could someone point me in the right direction of the best sort of wire to use, and best points to do it from? Like I said don't know alot about it, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

When I took the manifold off i noticed how charred it was @ turbo end. Pulled it straight to measure for a replacement, it was dust. Fell to bits. I replaced it with another earth strap. Used a copper lug and is fine with the heat. Put a multi from heat shield to chassis point and check resistance to see if it needs replacing.

If I understand correctly the earth strap is to prevent electrolysis, I doubt it would help your idle.

Edited by GoHard

I would check your coil packs also. If your talking about the wire from the heat shield to the body then that is to stop static electricity that might come off from around the turbo from it spinning.

My car came with an aftermarket earthing kit which has about 8 leads going to various places on the block and the cas bolts etc. There are a few around so I guess there is a market for them but didn't do a before and after so don't know how really usefull they are. But definitely replace any obviously dodgy connections.

• 2 years later...